Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Eleider Alvarez have a Rematch Clause for a Trilogy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Eleider Alvarez have a Rematch Clause for a Trilogy?

I thought the Kova Alvarez series was a good showing of boxing, so i take it Alvarez was compensated nicely with no right to exercise a rematch should he lose? Anybody know?

It’s not the first time we’ve heard fighters say “we are 1-1, we can do a trilogy..”

In all fairness, Kovalev was KO’d in the first fight, let’s not forget. Rematch, Kovalev goes 12, I had it 8-4 maybe 8-3 for Kova. Nevertheless, the circumstances are Eleider Alvarez had a better fight in the first fight, why didn’t ESPN mention a trilogy? Do they not like the ratings for this fight and the only reason there was a rematch was for the sake of Duva’s power?

It just doesn’t make any sense that Alvarez wasn’t given the opportunity to mention a rematch on broadcast. Seems like he forfeited that right when agreeing to rematch contracts? Anybody know?

Originally posted by Frankie2Jabs View Post
    It just doesn’t make any sense that Alvarez wasn’t given the opportunity to mention a rematch on broadcast. Seems like he forfeited that right when agreeing to rematch contracts? Anybody know?
    Alvarez was a voluntary challenger and likely had no choice but to agree to a rematch clause in order to get the first fight.

In those scenarios, where the new champion then loses the rematch he was obligated to give, he never had a chance to negotiate a rematch clause of his own because the second fight's terms were already agreed to when he had no leverage.

Comment

Nope. .

Comment

Originally posted by SHAW ARUM DUVA View Post
        Alvarez was a voluntary challenger and likely had no choice but to agree to a rematch clause in order to get the first fight.

In those scenarios, where the new champion then loses the rematch he was obligated to give, he never had a chance to negotiate a rematch clause of his own because the second fight's terms were already agreed to when he had no leverage.
        I see. So technically the rematch clause alone was already finalized back in August? I thought the protocol would be that Eleider MUST oblige to his initial contract but new contracts for the rematch still must show a variance. For instance the amount ESPN would pay for the 2nd fight plus some favoring to Alvarez aside from money.

Comment

I had it 11-1 for Kovalev...he proved he is the better boxer. No need for a rematch

Comment

I thought the Kova Alvarez series was a good showing of boxing, so i take it Alvarez was compensated nicely with no right to exercise a rematch should he lose? Anybody know?

It’s not the first time we’ve heard fighters say “we are 1-1, we can do a trilogy..”

In all fairness, Kovalev was KO’d in the first fight, let’s not forget. Rematch, Kovalev goes 12, I had it 8-4 maybe 8-3 for Kova. Nevertheless, the circumstances are Eleider Alvarez had a better fight in the first fight, why didn’t ESPN mention a trilogy? Do they not like the ratings for this fight and the only reason there was a rematch was for the sake of Duva’s power?

Because Kovalev has the WBO belt, and Arum (ESPN's boxing partner for the foreseeable future) is lining up that next title shot for 'Zurdo' Ramirez (Arum's fighter) with Anthony Yarde (Frank Warren's fighter; an Arum partner) after that.

Alvarez got the big deal from Arum (with Haymon hopefully around to look over the deal, I'd imagine that the guaranteed money was confirmed in the deal), so it's not like Alvarez was in position to argue over much.

Comment

I see. So technically the rematch clause alone was already finalized back in August? I thought the protocol would be that Eleider MUST oblige to his initial contract but new contracts for the rematch still must show a variance. For instance the amount ESPN would pay for the 2nd fight plus some favoring to Alvarez aside from money.
              The way it typically works when the voluntary challenger is the B-side in a non-in house fight is that if they win, they must give a rematch for a flat fee that is stipulated in the contract for the first fight.

So Alvarez has no leverage in the rematch because he's already obligated to fight for a specified price. Then Duva goes and shops the fight to try to make a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by SHAW ARUM DUVA View Post
                The way it typically works when the voluntary challenger is the B-side in a non-in house fight is that if they win, they must give a rematch for a flat fee that is stipulated in the contract for the first fight.

So Alvarez has no leverage in the rematch because he's already obligated to fight for a specified price. Then Duva goes and shops the fight to try to make a profit.
                Seems fair to me if the B side signs and agrees.

Comment

Seems fair to me if the B side signs and agrees.
                  I'm not saying it's fair or not. It's standard procedure regardless.

Although for decades immediate rematches were illegal, so rematch clauses were trickier.

Comment

With a KO the first time around I feel like he does, but with the ease at which Kov won the second time around I feel like he doesn't.

Tie goes to the most recent opinion I suppose. Plus I'd rather see Kov fight some of these new cats on the scene than Alvarez a third time in a row. If Alvarez fights & wins a couple fights he'll be back in line within a year probably anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X