Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting numbers regarding PPV'S

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are more people who have access to ppv, today we have internet, more people consume, that streaming stuff is exaggerated, its mostly college age guys who still live at home, or young teens whose parents wont pay for the ppv.

Most people will buy fights if interested only if its something super huge like Mayweather Pacquiao fights, the main difference is how boxing is covered today as opposed to before, Boxing is no longer mainstream that is the real kicker, back in the days I remember everything from ABC, FOX, you name it they new boxing, from Duran, hearns,leonard, hagler Boxing was still on the tip of peoples tongue.

I remember celebs watching Danny Red Lopez vs Bobby Chacon on regular tv, these guys were stars that young guys never heard of but mainstream tv and local sports and news stations covered these boxers regularly so they had hometown support and national coverage.

It tapered off and fully lost contact with the sports fans beginning in the early 2000s, now most people I run into who are older heads know almost everything about boxing pre 2000s because they work and could only tune into ESPN to get sporting coverage and don't really search the internet in the early days. And ESPN never covered boxing on sports center anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmt View Post
      The Evander Holyfield vs George Foreman fight on April 19, 1991 generated a buy rate of 1.4 million. That might not seem like a big number, but It's enormous when you consider that only 16 1/2 million homes had access to the fight. Which means 8 percent of those homes bought It. A buy rate that remains a record.

Around 100 million have access to PPV today. Eight percent of that total would be 8 million. A figure that Mayweather vs Mcgregor or Mayweather vs Pacquiao did not come close to.
      Thats a pretty interesting find. Thats pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
        Did tyson vs mcstinky really generate 1.5 mil??
        That to me is by far more impressive than any other PPV number. That is fawking mind blowing. That number alone makes him the PPV king
        Wasn't that Tyson's first fight back? McNeely was hilarious. "I'm gonna wrap Tyson in a cocoon of horror".
        I'll remember that quote to my dying day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
          not true, back then we had those black boxes where you could watch ppv free

Black boxes were never as prevalent as paid cable. There are more smartphones, tablets, laptops, etc. than there are people with cable. With black boxes you'd still have to be at home to watch the fight. With streaming devices you can watch from anywhere. With a push of a button you're watching the fight for free anywhere.

Comment

Working...
          X