This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottom 10 Heavyweight Champ Chins

This one is pretty easy. Plus we get to hear from many halfwits.

1 Roy Jones Jr.
    2 Patterson
    3 Vlad Klit
    4 Michael Moorer
    5 Johansson
    6 John Tate
    7 David Haye
    8 Joe Louis
    9 Lennox Lewis
    10 Charles Martin

Maybe not so easy. Who knows their scrub chins well enough to do a perfect list?

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
    This one is pretty easy. Plus we get to hear from many halfwits.

1 Roy Jones Jr.
    2 Patterson
    3 Vlad Klit
    4 Michael Moorer
    5 Johansson
    6 John Tate
    7 David Haye
    8 Joe Louis
    9 Lennox Lewis
    10 Charles Martin

Maybe not so easy. Who knows their scrub chins well enough to do a perfect list?
    Roy Jones Jr was never dropped in his one time venture to the heavyweight division. In fact, on the basis of his performance against Ruiz coupled with the fact that he had no other fights at that weight, I find it amusing he tops the list. There is simply no additional evidence in conjunction with the Ruiz fight to suggest Jones had a bad chin at Heavyweight

Tyson Fury was dropped hard by a cruiserweight. Deontay Wilder was dropped by someone who just finished their shift at McDonald's. Anthony Joshua was rocked badly by Whyte and dropped hard by Klitschko.

Those 3 have a better case at having a worse chin.

Comment

What are you, a dummy? You think he just had a terrible light heavyweight chin, is that it?

Clue for the Clueless: If you have a lousy light heavyweight chin, it will also be a lousy heavyweight chin. In fact, it will be even lousier.

2nd Clue for the Clueless: Jones won a version of the heavyweight title off Ruiz. A lot of guys on other lists are there precisely because they won the same title. Get a grip and live with it.

Comment

The thing is, Jones Jnr never showed anything like a suspect chin prior to losing the weight after the Ruiz fight. Nothing that Ruiz landed (and he did land some half decent blows) caused Jones any trouble.

Jones was hit with plenty of solid blows between 1988 and what, 2003? Only one legitimate knockdown in all that time. It's difficult to remember an occasion when he was staggered, hurt or in danger of a tko either. I think his chin was pretty solid prior to the Tarver fights....and even then he got through fight one fairly unscathed.

Granted; post Tarver 2, Jones Jnr's chin has been worryingly fragile at times. But I do tend to think that weight loss, age and career length can (but not always) take a toll on punch resistance.

Think about Ray Leonard, who rose from mighty blows against Tommy Hearns in the rematch; not to mention stayed on his feet for his matches with Benitez, Duran and Hagler. But looked pretty fragile against Norris and Camacho in lower weight divisions. Age and weight loss can take a significant toll!

Comment

What are you, a dummy? You think he just had a terrible light heavyweight chin, is that it?

Clue for the Clueless: If you have a lousy light heavyweight chin, it will also be a lousy heavyweight chin. In fact, it will be even lousier.

2nd Clue for the Clueless: Jones won a version of the heavyweight title off Ruiz. A lot of guys on other lists are there precisely because they won the same title. Get a grip and live with it.
          Are your ******ed? There simply isn't enough evidence especially on the basis of ONE FIGHT in the division to assess Jones' chin.

You're wrong on the first motion. Tony Bellew says hi. Dropped and stopped by Stevenson, moves up to cruiser and heavy and looks much more sturdier, takes shots better and recovers better because he's not drained

Regarding the second motion, yes Jones won a title off Ruiz and it was a one off venture. He didn't in way, shape or form carve out a career at heavyweight whereas everyone else on your list had a career at heavyweight. You ranking Jones as having the worst chin on the basis of ONE FIGHT AT HEAVYWEIGHT is ******ed.

Read and comprehend what I say you ****ing pillock.

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          The thing is, Jones Jnr never showed anything like a suspect chin prior to losing the weight after the Ruiz fight. Nothing that Ruiz landed (and he did land some half decent blows) caused Jones any trouble.

Jones was hit with plenty of solid blows between 1988 and what, 2003? Only one legitimate knockdown in all that time. It's difficult to remember an occasion when he was staggered, hurt or in danger of a tko either. I think his chin was pretty solid prior to the Tarver fights....and even then he got through fight one fairly unscathed.

Granted; post Tarver 2, Jones Jnr's chin has been worryingly fragile at times. But I do tend to think that weight loss, age and career length can (but not always) take a toll on punch resistance.

Think about Ray Leonard, who rose from mighty blows against Tommy Hearns in the rematch; not to mention stayed on his feet for his matches with Benitez, Duran and Hagler. But looked pretty fragile against Norris and Camacho in lower weight divisions. Age and weight loss can take a significant toll!
          Exactly. Green K sent

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

I quoted you because I have to disagree with much of what you said, even though you are a poster whose work I generally respect.

I recall distinctly Jones's knee wobbling from one of the few taps Ruiz landed.

Of course I would always prefer just to take a poster's word for something or count on his memory rather than seeing the evidence for myself.

Don't tell me, man, show me! I can show you many clips of Jones being KO'd by single blows. Do I really need to, though? Do you have some clips of him taking these great shots you refer to? Because you do need to show me that. Many people the world over have looked for it and have not found it. Now you imply you have found the lost treasure of those clips showing Jones taking some great punches in his prime.

I understand, though, you are offended that I do not simply take your word for it. I can't, you see. I have already won this challenge before from another lad who said the same on another forum long ago.

Comment

I quoted you because I have to disagree with much of what you said, even though you are a poster whose work I generally respect.

I recall distinctly Jones's knee wobbling from one of the few taps Ruiz landed.

Of course I would always prefer just to take a poster's word for something or count on his memory rather than seeing the evidence for myself.

Don't tell me, man, show me! I can show you many clips of Jones being KO'd by single blows. Do I really need to, though? Do you have some clips of him taking these great shots you refer to? Because you do need to show me that. Many people the world over have looked for it and have not found it. Now you imply you have found the lost treasure of those clips showing Jones taking some great punches in his prime.

I understand, though, you are offended that I do not simply take your word for it. I can't, you see. I have already won this challenge before from another lad who said the same on another forum long ago.
              Don't worry, I'm not some Jones Jnr fan boy who thinks he had an Oliver McCall like punch resistance prior to Tarver 2. No offence taken at all.

But I'm also not one who thinks that Jones Jnr was the biggest Houdini in boxing and conned the world for 15 years that he had a decent chin when he clearly didn't. It looked pretty solid and the record speaks for itself. I'm very doubtful that he could have disguised it for that long in all those fight camps, sparring etc. There were barely any tales circulating of lucky punches, knockdowns or sparring sessions being cut short at the time.

He certainly took decent blows against the likes of Hopkins, Toney and Griffin (fight 1) and neither of us is gullible enough to think that none of his less celebrated rivals landed good punches either. But it's hard to assert that a 'YouTube' video punch is a world beater when the effect doesn't result in a fighter being staggered or knocked down.

I doubt that in turn you could support an assertion of Jones Jnr having poor punch resistance prior to Tarver 2, by for example showing numerous clips of him staggering from what look like innocuous blows. The argument goes both ways!

There are usually signs that a fighter has a subpar chin. Being easily staggered from 'average looking' blows, numerous flash knockdowns, jelly like legs after a tough round. But we hardly ever got this from Jones in those first 15 years.

Neither of us will ever know now....but I suspect his chin was pretty good prior to the return to light heavyweight.

Punch resistance can take a fair hit when fighters gain weight for a fight, then return to a former division. I mentioned Leonard earlier, but in more recent years De La Hoya didn't look too clever against Pacquiao after boiling down to welterweight. Ricky Hatton was known for his punch resistance prior to Mayweather, he walked through some nasty blows against Tszyu, but looked pretty vulnerable after returning to light welterweight, even Lazcano had him looking shaky.

Boxers are human beings; they can be very much affected by weight, age and cumulative punishment.

Overall pretty good list though. I might have been tempted to throw Ken Norton or some of the other alphabet gents in there too...

Comment

Why in the hell didn't you just say you have no evidence to offer?

Comment

All I can show is Jones not getting hit. For at least a decade he got hit less than any other big league fighter I can think of. I believe you don't have any evidence. Your evidence is: Why, he must have been hit good a number of times being a professional for that long. Show him getting blasted, show him taking those fine punches. I say the reason you can't is because he didn't.

Comment

Why in the hell didn't you just say you have no evidence to offer?
                    Because as I indicated, if a punch doesn't stagger or knock down a fighter, it's likely to be dismissed as innocuous or irrelevant to someone who doesn't agree with your point of view.

Jones wasn't staggered often and was only once knocked down prior to Tarver 2. If for example Jones had taken that left hand without effect, you'd dismiss it.

Evidence for a weak chin would be staggering or appearing hurt after taking relatively clean, but hardly world beating blows. This video shows a few, though I'm sure you won't change your mind on the subject.

https://youtu.be/6UEtWnFFaZs

The coin can always be flipped. If you'd care to offer evidence of a weak chin prior to Tarver 2, I'll give it respect.

Hell, we can't agree on everything. Maybe Jones always had a suspect chin. But I'm not convinced.....

Comment

Working...
                    X