Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore police van driver not guilty on 21 charges related to Freddie Gray

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore police van driver not guilty on 21 charges related to Freddie Gray

BALTIMORE -- A disciplinary panel has found a Baltimore police van driver not guilty on all administrative charges related to his transportation of Freddie Gray, the man whose death in custody sparked riots in the city.

Caesar Goodson transported Freddie Gray when the black man suffered a fatal injury in police custody.

The three-member board said Tuesday that Officer Caesar Goodson did not violate any police department policies. The panel consisted of two Baltimore police officers and an outside chair. Department lawyer Neil Duke argued that Goodson should have been fired for failing to follow policy by not buckling Gray into a seatbelt and failing to get him medical attention.

Gray died a week after his April 2015 arrest from a spinal cord injury he suffered during the van ride.

Goodson's lawyers say the police department failed to properly distribute a change in policy making the seatbelts mandatory just days before Gray's arrest.

Source:
    http://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/aust...o-feeddie-gray

is this a white on black crime? if not it doesn't interest me.

Comment

Goodson's lawyers say the police department failed to properly distribute a change in policy making the seatbelts mandatory just days before Gray's arrest.
      Ya know, I never even thought about whether police should buckle the perps in. It makes sense.

Unfortunate way to go. I doubt the officer deliberately crashed his car to kill the dude, but I can see how one might argue it was negligent to leave the guy without ability to utilize a standard safety feature.

Do you know how long they took to get him medical treatment? I am curious.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 11-07-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

This is the world we live in where we worry about criminals having seatbelts while most school buses have none to protect innocent children.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
          This is the world we live in where we worry about criminals having seatbelts while most school buses have none to protect innocent children.
          It would be one thing if this was a convicted felon being moved from one prison to another or something.

Being in a police car only means you are a suspect - which anyone can be. And btw, it turns out he didn't actually commit a crime. He was arrested for carrying a knife that the cops said was an illegal switchblade, but as it turns out actually isn't.

Mosby said officers failed to establish probable cause for Gray’s arrest “as no crime had been committed.” She also said officers illegally arrested Gray and that Gray’s knife — originally reported as a switchblade — was legal.
          https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ruled-homicide

Anyway I'm sure, like me, most people just don't even know that seat belts on school buses are an issue. Unfortunately it usually takes something happening before people are aware of the issue or motivated enough to call for action.
          Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 11-08-2017, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
            It would be one thing if this was a convicted felon being moved from one prison to another or something.

Being in a police car only means you are a suspect - which anyone can be. And btw, it turns out he didn't actually commit a crime. He was arrested for carrying a knife that the cops said was an illegal switchblade, but as it turns out actually isn't.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...ruled-homicide

Anyway I'm sure, like me, most people just don't even know that seat belts on school buses are an issue. Unfortunately it usually takes something happening before people are aware of the issue or motivated enough to call for action.
            Regardless, most people riding in the backseat of a police vehicle weren't there because they had unpaid fines at the library. A majority are there because they broke the law. All children on a school bus are innocent passengers.

How many kids have been killed on school buses in accidents without seat belts versus suspects in the back of police cars without a seat belt?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
              Regardless, most people riding in the backseat of a police vehicle weren't there because they had unpaid fines at the library. A majority are there because they broke the law. All children on a school bus are innocent passengers.

How many kids have been killed on school buses in accidents without seat belts versus suspects in the back of police cars without a seat belt?
              I'm just saying people who haven't been caught red handed committing a serious crime deserve the same treatment as anyone else. If you got pulled in for questioning or something, that's what you would expect for yourself. You wouldn't want to be roughed up or presumed to be a bad person just because you are in a cop car.

Now if this was a rapist or murderer being hauled away and dying because he had no seatbelt, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Although I'd not want to set the precedent whereby police officers determine guilt instead of it being determined at trial.

Regarding second paragraph - I have no idea. Haven't heard of any instances of either until this thread.
              Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 11-08-2017, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                I'm just saying people who haven't been caught red handed committing a serious crime deserve the same treatment as anyone else. If you got pulled in for questioning or something, that's what you would expect for yourself. You wouldn't want to be roughed up or presumed to be a bad person just because you are in a cop car.

Regarding second paragraph - I have no idea. Haven't heard of any instances of either until this thread.
                I don't support police brutality in any form. But, I have to laugh at the faux outrage of the community over a guy who they never really cared about in the first place. Just like all the mugs murdered in big cities across the nation. No one gives a bleep unless they die at the hands of police. Closing in on 600 murders in Chicago and only 2 were killed by police. But hey, lets riot and protest and throw the police under the bus for those 2, while ignoring the much bigger problems in the community that could be fixed with accountability, responsible parenting, community activism, and mentorship/leadership from the community.

Comment

Working...
                X