Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasy: Would a Welter Andre Ward do well VS Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    I think Floyd would win easily. Ward's illegal wrestling and holding and hitting won't work on Mayweather. Floyd knows all the dirty tricks and how to prevent them from working. Overall Floyd is faster, sharper, and more skilled than Ward on offense and defense.
    Floyd squares up with his elbow at time too when he twists his hips rolling shots. They hit people at time so that's illegal too.

You can't shoulder roll effectively when someone literally wraps their arms around you since they force you into position.

I think Ward can outjab Mayweather. What do you think? May tens not to jab too much now, but of course when he does it's effective to the solar plexus
    I personally think a good, fast, solid clean jab is an awesome tool.

Originally posted by MurkaMan View Post
    Floyd would dominate. Ward is good but everything he learned he got from obsessively watching Floyd fights his entire life. Floyd learned his stuff from preciously aged boxing minds. But also self-discovered a few veteran tactics just from being in the ring. Things that go back before his time, he just figured out on his own. Like a wild boxing creature that reveals itself when placed there. Ward is good but he makes mistakes and gets out of position. He's slow, but because he's so good he can get away with it. Roy Jones used to do the same thing. But Roy is fast and sharp as hell. Ward is muddy feet when he does it. That type of stuff would be bad against a special athletic fighter like Floyd. The reflexes, naturality, and speed of Floyd would overwhelm Ward completely. Trying to outbox Floyd with his style, would be a no no. I think Floyd would walk him down tbh.
    I wouldn't say Ward is slow. I use to think he had that average Bradley speed, but he's fairly fast for SMW. To me the transition from MW is where speed tends to slow down for guys since they usually can walk at 180/190.

Ward does make mistakes, but all boxers do. Floyd does but since he has such fast reflexes he can get away with it too. Plus many guys he fights are flat footed and always set their shots. Floyd disses man guys saying they are flat footed. It may not sound like much, but in boxing that's like saying Usian Bolt runs with an umbrella on his back. It's a hindrance. I am a goal keeper for football (soccer) and also play badminton and when I am flat footed my movement is so crap.

I don't see Ward getting walked down at all. Outboxed yes.
    Last edited by Los Zetas; 12-31-2013, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
      I personally think his smarts, speed, jab, timing, aggression and strength would be a good match up VS Floyd. Like I can see him jabbing Floyd's shoulder roll like Cotto, and bullying him the same way too. However Ward gets hit flush a lot less. He has a busy style that hits flush and clean. Stamina is also excellent. One thing you need VS Floyd is to never get tired. At minimum!

Ward knows how to score a round himself as he fights to win a round, which Floyd advocates for Broner.
      HA! Even just imaging it I see more hugging and holding than an MMA fight.

Comment

This fight is so technical it will create a vortex in time, the intricate details and science behind every executed by these two guys will illuminate the minds of those who witness.

Comment

his jab and workrate would win him the fight imo

if it happened i'd bet ward by UD

Comment

ward loses

Comment

People think Floyd is invincible. Funny, a slow yet perpetually active and methodically deliberate Cotto gave him all he could handle. Castillo actually did the job. Floyd needs distance to work and Ward would give him none. A 147-154 version of Ward would beat Floyd in a mugging that would look like a cleaner more technical version of Tszyu vs. Hatton.

Comment

Toss up, they both have skills, and floyd isnt used to fighting very technical fighters like ward.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Wolf View Post
                  Funny, a slow yet perpetually active and methodically deliberate Cotto gave him all he could handle.
                  By "gave him all he could handle" do you mean won 2-3 rounds tops?

Comment

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
                    Floyd squares up with his elbow at time too when he twists his hips rolling shots. They hit people at time so that's illegal too.

You can't shoulder roll effectively when someone literally wraps their arms around you since they force you into position.

I think Ward can outjab Mayweather. What do you think? May tens not to jab too much now, but of course when he does it's effective to the solar plexus
                    I personally think a good, fast, solid clean jab is an awesome tool.

I wouldn't say Ward is slow. I use to think he had that average Bradley speed, but he's fairly fast for SMW. To me the transition from MW is where speed tends to slow down for guys since they usually can walk at 180/190.

Ward does make mistakes, but all boxers do. Floyd does but since he has such fast reflexes he can get away with it too. Plus many guys he fights are flat footed and always set their shots. Floyd disses man guys saying they are flat footed. It may not sound like much, but in boxing that's like saying Usian Bolt runs with an umbrella on his back. It's a hindrance. I am a goal keeper for football (soccer) and also play badminton and when I am flat footed my movement is so crap.

I don't see Ward getting walked down at all. Outboxed yes.
                    Man to me, Ward is slow af. He just doesnt telegraph and gets off first. That fight would look like Floyd vs Canelo, Ortiz, Juan. Floyd fight all these different styles, and changes his style in order to dominate them without being grazed. A style like Pac's or Aaron pryor can trouble him. But to me, despite how smart Ward is, he would look dumb and clumsey just like the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                      By "gave him all he could handle" do you mean won 2-3 rounds tops?
                      Nope.

Mayweather: "Miguel Cotto is the toughest guy I ever fought."

Comment

Working...
                      X