No announcement yet.

How Muhammad Ali secured the release of 15 US hostages in Iraq

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
    I'm in my mid 20s and I know exactly what is happening.

I understand the point you make about them being pandered to and mollycoddled but it's not an excuse, especially not now with so much information at out fingertips. Plus, most American athletes spend their youths in the worst parts of the country, forget making political change, they need to push for social change .And use the podium fame has granted them to speak out on the issues facing black Americans in impoverished ghettos, which to me, as an outsider, look like 3rd world nations.
    And you also have to understand the role desegretation played in the way our kids were educated. What we were taught before desegregation and what we were taught afterwards is vastly different. That's why you don't see the great black minds that you used to. What's considered a great black mind of today pales in comparison to Garvey, King, X, DuBois. Desegregation and federally mandated curriculum changed the way we were educated.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      I'm in my mid 20s and I know exactly what is happening.

I understand the point you make about them being pandered to and mollycoddled but it's not an excuse, especially not now with so much information at out fingertips. Plus, most American athletes spend their youths in the worst parts of the country, forget making political change, they need to push for social change .And use the podium fame has granted them to speak out on the issues facing black Americans in impoverished ghettos, which to me, as an outsider, look like 3rd world nations.
      And another thing you'll notice is that the same people who criticized Wade and the Heat for taking a stance are the same ones praising Ali for being outspoken. They'll say Ali spoke truth to power today but tell Cam Newton to tone it down tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X