Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to move to California.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See what I mean mate the unanimous decision is Texas. Don't let your mind be swayed by TV for an unrealistic target like LA.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
      I have always liked the US and especially been attracted to California for its fine weather, liberal outlook and vibrant economy. Plus I grew up watching too much US TV which planted a seed of love for California.

Anyway, as I push 30 [under a month away], I want to try my hand at life in the US and California specifically. I'm young(ish), well educated and obviously speak fluent English so language is not a barrier.

I will probably do an MPP from this September (have the place, am deciding between that or PhD - also hold an offer), and then with 3 degrees in hand want the Californian Dream.

How do I go about getting a job there? Public Affairs, Politics, Risk Analysis, Private Intelligence. Hell, I'd happily teach HS government and history.

So advise me dudes.
      Send me a PM when you are a few months out from making the move if you seriously are doing it. I can help you get started if you come out here to the bay area, the land of boxing fans, beautiful birds, and wealth and prosperity.

From top to bottom the state is beautiful, national parks, silicon valley, team Garcia, you will find a rewarding new career, a great place to live, and a fantastic nightlife out here in the golden state.

Comment

I think it depends where you are moving from, fp.

If you are moving from a giant city like London, then you probably won't mind the larger metro areas out here, the cost of living won't come as any kind of shock, or the notorious traffic that SoCal, Bay Area, or Silicon Valley have.

I live in Sacramento, and it's not as "fast" or vibrant as the other places that have been mentioned, but it's situated in a good spot. Kinda a medium sized city with a small time feel, I would say. Very diverse when it comes to different ethnicities, nationalities.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          Send me a PM when you are a few months out from making the move if you seriously are doing it. I can help you get started if you come out here to the bay area, the land of boxing fans, beautiful birds, and wealth and prosperity.

From top to bottom the state is beautiful, national parks, silicon valley, team Garcia, you will find a rewarding new career, a great place to live, and a fantastic nightlife out here in the golden state.
          That's deep bro.

I am determined to try my best. If I fail - meh, least I tried.

Finding a job is the major issue.
          Last edited by fight_professor; 09-02-2014, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
            I think it depends where you are moving from, fp.

If you are moving from a giant city like London, then you probably won't mind the larger metro areas out here, the cost of living won't come as any kind of shock, or the notorious traffic that SoCal, Bay Area, or Silicon Valley have.

I live in Sacramento, and it's not as "fast" or vibrant as the other places that have been mentioned, but it's situated in a good spot. Kinda a medium sized city with a small time feel, I would say. Very diverse when it comes to different ethnicities, nationalities.

i was called a "filthy wap," and spit on.

Comment

Texas is awful. Austin is okay I guess. But other than Austin, nah. If you're coming from England or something, Texas would be nightmarish.

I lived in and love San Diego, but the cost of living is high. I recently moved to Temecula, which is about a 30 minute drive from North County San Diego. The cost of living is much lower, it's safe as hell, and there's actually plenty of stuff to do. I commute to North County every day from Temecula and it's not too bad. A lot of people do this.

Temecula and Murrieta are right next to each other and very good options given that they're a lot cheaper to live in, yet still close enough to what you like.
              Last edited by samouraļ; 04-28-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                i was called a "filthy wap," and spit on.

You had it coming.

Putting around in your Fiat with a ski rack, screaming "Ciao Bella!" at everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                  See what I mean mate the unanimous decision is Texas. Don't let your mind be swayed by TV for an unrealistic target like LA.
                  Yeah, he's probably thinking beaches and sunshine, but it's not Baywatch.

OP what you should do is go visit first if you haven't already. Chances are you'll see the grass isn't greener.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                    Yeah, he's probably thinking beaches and sunshine, but it's not Baywatch.

OP what you should do is go visit first if you haven't already. Chances are you'll see the grass isn't greener.
                    Well, our grass certainly isn't greener. We're in a drought.

But yeah, visit California first and decide whether it's really worth uprooting yourself.

Comment

Texas is a ****hole truth be told. Everyone has a double digit i.q. AND owns multiple guns. I was born in that dump. Went to basic training in a toilet called San Antonio. The only thing that Texas has going for it is the women are super friendly. Got lots of 'tang there. Oh, and no state taxes

Comment

Working...
                      X