No announcement yet.

Cuauhtemoc's training regimen

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuauhtemoc's training regimen

OK so I constantly see threads where guys don't know what to do and how to train and how long to train etc...

So as a trainer of young amateur fighters, I thought I would lay a basic lay out of what I do day to day in the gym. Now this isn't a pro work out to prepare for a fight, it's more of a daily training regimen to keep in shape and work on your boxing fundamentals and skills.

To let you know, I keep a TEAM attitude with all my young fighters in the gym. We work out together and everyone helps each other. There isn't a ME attitude and other than individual work that I do with them, when we work out we do it together.

Warm Up:

- We start with stretching. It's very important even if you are young because just stretching can prevent injury up to 40% in recent studies. We stretch hamstrings, quads, calves, arms, back everything.

- Calisthenics. We do simple movements to get warm and get the blood flowing. Waist movements, arm movements, jumping jacks etc.

- The I go usually into 3 rounds of circuit training to start the sweat flowing. 3 rounds of shadow boxing, ring ups (stepping on and off the ring) and then jump rope. 3 rounds with :30 seconds rest in between.

Abs:

- Here we do about 300-400 sit ups broken down into repetitions of 50 each. Each one different. We might do legs up, legs half way, regular crunches, russians, leg ups etc...50 reps a piece.

Heavy Bag:

- Usually do 4-6 rounds of bag work, 3 minute rounds, :30 second break in between. Sometimes its specific combo's, sometimes it's just left hand, right hand, body work etc...There's a lot of different techniques I use with the heavy bag including cardio work, depends on what day it is.

Mitts:

- When they are hitting HB, I usually take two of them in the ring and do mitts for at least 2 rounds a piece if I can. We work on many different things, I pride myself in mitt work because I can teach a lot with them. Defense especially.

Technique:

- This is down time in the gym for us to work on technique. It usually involves defense, slipping, catching or parrying punches. I usually pair them up and do exercises like "3's" where one defends and one throws a 3 punch combo, light contact. Also work on movement, balance, defense or light sparring which is basically 50% contact to body and no contact to face.

Finish:

- Usually finish out with cardio. Make them run about 1-2 miles, come back and do up downs, brazilian sit ups, tandem sit ups while punching....depends on what mood I'm in.

This is a basic outline of what I do on a daily basis but I do change things up quite a bit to keep things fresh. I also incorporate the speed bag and double end bag while I have most doing other things, usually my more experienced kids doing that.

We also spar twice a week and cut the training a little bit lighter on those days. We usually do at least 4 rounds of sparring each while the others are working on other things.

My thing is to keep them occupied and changing things up for them so it stays fresh. I'm a good motivator so I'm always on them and I also spar with them at least once a week and that makes them respect me much, much more because they know I'm not just talking but can show them in the ring.

So that's a basic outline, I hope it helps some of you.

Yea, this is great, definitely helps me - shows me a lot more I should be doing.

Can you explain what "russians" ab excercises are? And brazilian sit ups?

Comment

Originally posted by Aperion View Post
      Yea, this is great, definitely helps me - shows me a lot more I should be doing.

Can you explain what "russians" ab excercises are? And brazilian sit ups?

The Brazilian sit up is done with two people sitting with their heads on the opposite ends of each other. You hold hands underneath your legs and side and then lift your legs over one another at the same time.

Comment

why would you start with stretching. don't you think a bit of a warm up is required first?

Comment

Originally posted by TheTruthIs View Post
          why would you start with stretching. don't you think a bit of a warm up is required first?
          What if you warm up and then you pull something? You should always stretch before you do any physical exercise, always.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            What if you warm up and then you pull something? You should always stretch before you do any physical exercise, always.
            lol - i swear to **** this forum over all others had the highest amount of posers or simply stupid people on it. do a little homework before you get someone hurt if you really are a trainer.

if anyone ever wants to get hooked up with some real trainers, pros, national trainers...hit me up in PM, I'll link ya. Until then tired of hearing foolishness. Cyas.

Comment

lol - i swear to **** this forum over all others had the highest amount of posers or simply stupid people on it. do a little homework before you get someone hurt if you really are a trainer.

if anyone ever wants to get hooked up with some real trainers, pros, national trainers...hit me up in PM, I'll link ya. Until then tired of hearing foolishness. Cyas.
              there's no need to put other posters down, every reader is a reader with common sense. If they don't agree, then they don't agree. If you wanna hook people up with the 'truth', then make a public post, right? if you wanna discuss, you need to show some arguments.

this is my argumentation: there should be warming up before stretching to me. light shadowboxing or jump rope makes the muscle fill up with blood, make them WARMER which makes them much more elastic for stretching. i think it's good u promote stretching, very important. but you can pull something easier by stretching BEFORE warming up.

good link about stretching
              http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...ndtable-1.html

Dynamic stretching is a good solution
              http://www.elitesoccerconditioning.c...Stretching.htm

Comment

Check it out genius, it's not like when I get to the gym the guys are ice cold. They have already been moving around, shadow boxing on their own or whatever.

We stretch first, then go into calisthenics. I have never had anyone hurt because of the work we do. I have forgotten more about boxing than you know.

Everyone is a fukin genius on here, just trying to help some people out with some basic things. I bet you are going to correct my spelling mistakes too hu?

Comment

Originally posted by paulsinghnl View Post
                  there's no need to put other posters down, every reader is a reader with common sense. If they don't agree, then they don't agree. If you wanna hook people up with the 'truth', then make a public post, right? if you wanna discuss, you need to show some arguments.

this is my argumentation: there should be warming up before stretching to me. light shadowboxing or jump rope makes the muscle fill up with blood, make them WARMER which makes them much more elastic for stretching. i think it's good u promote stretching, very important. but you can pull something easier by stretching BEFORE warming up.

good link about stretching
                  http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...ndtable-1.html

Dynamic stretching is a good solution
                  http://www.elitesoccerconditioning.c...Stretching.htm
                  Read my post above, I didn't specify because it was just a general over view. Like I said, when I get to the gym, guys are already moving around and even sweating a little.

It's not like they have just woken up and then we stretch. Dude is being a *** just for the sake of it.

I even said at the beginning of the post it was a general training schedule, I do many different things and didn't go into specifics.

Yes you are right though, you should be warm before you stretch and my guys always are.

I just make sure before we start any serious exercise guys are stretched out.

Comment

No, I'm not being a dick just for the sake of it. I may be a bit grumpy today having just gone through a day of cutting to make weight...but I have a real problem when people start giving advice that can be dangerous. And especially under the presumption of 'trainer". And not warming up first & then stretching is that. I asked quickly before I flew off the handle...(again, I'm grumpy, sorry)

"why would you start with stretching. don't you think a bit of a warm up is required first?"

and the reply was,

"What if you warm up and then you pull something? You should always stretch before you do any physical exercise, always. "

which is absolutely wrong. and things like this aren't like the speed bag, where it is a preference, or simple opinion of it's merit...it is a more just giving bad advice that some new person reading will go and do. Because, well, you're the trainer.

Comment

Working...
                    X