Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 50-50 split with Ward would've been GGG's biggest purse

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If GGG doesn't get the Canelo fight then passing on Ward looks like a huge mistake. The more I think about it K2 is the problem. They think this kid is bigger then he really is. If and when the Canelo fight happens he is getting screwed over big time at the negotiation table the fight will only happen at Canelo's weight and with him taking a huge percentage of the profits. He has no leverage and I feel no sympathy based on the idiotic things that have come out of that camps mouth (154 or 168) and trying to throw around all the A side garbage to try and clown Ward and even imposing a catchweight on Ward and nobody else at 168 it's only karma that now they will get bent over by Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by Irony123 View Post
      what do you base the 300k ppv buys on? GGG didn't do well on his only PPV and Ward didn't even sell a single PPV. While i think it can very well do the 300k i don't see them taking 5 million each, lets do the math... even if the fight generated 10 million which is pretty much close to the maximum i would see it generating the fighters will not take all of that, considering the costs associated with the venue, HBO and promoter getting their cut you will be looking at 3 million a piece (max). the purse for lemiux and GGG was combined at around 3.5 million and they were aiming for 200k to make it a success, so almost tripling the purse seems far fetched.
      -Andre Ward vs Gennady Golovkin was a fight that ESPN could properly get behind hyping up.
      -Ward vs Golovkin is a fight that the hardcore fans will tune in for
      -Both Golovkin and Ward have shown themselves to be solid TV draws in their own right.
      -300k PPV buys, looking at the history of HBO's PPV business beyond their stars, seems to be a reasonable downside risk assumption.

$10m is my guess at the pot once everyone takes their cut; $15m in total PPV revenue (300k at $50 per PPV), $1m-$2m at the live gate (with a site fee likely topping that), $1m in sponsorships, another $1m in international TV rights money, etc, and you're looking at north of $20m in revenues actually being generated.

Golovkin-Lemieux was nowhere near as big a fight as K2 tried to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
        People like to say Ward isn't a draw but he's consistently sold out his home town.
        The only way Ward is selling out in Oakland is if Oracle Arena was scaled down for half it's capacity. Biggest crowd he's drawn at Oracle was 9,006 for his comeback bout vs. Smith.

Comment

triple G aint tryin to fight nobody worth a ****

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
            Because they actually want to fight him versus getting him stripped.
            If Bumlovkin wants the Alvarez fight then WHY is Team Triple Duck pretending like THEY are the "A" side? Why not just accept Canelo's demands and MAKE the damned fight?
            Last edited by Nay_Sayer; 03-30-2016, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              he isnt "after" Alvarez you dummy, he is "after" whoever holds the WBC title.
              Bullsheet.

Bumlovkin has been the WBC mandatory for how long now? If all Team Triple Duck wanted was the WBC 160lb title then WHY accept step aside money not once but TWICE? WHY have they not enforced their mandatory position?

Comment

Coulda, shoulda... what does it matter when Ward was not even interested and admitted to fat Dan that he can't make the weight anymore.

It takes two to tango doe.

You can't regret something that is physically impossible.

Comment

Working...
                X