Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe moved up and fought the light HW champion - why can't Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Calzaghe moved up and fought the light HW champion - why can't Andre Ward?

I remember when Joe Calzaghe was 168 champion, after he had accomplished everything there was to accomplish in that division, he moved up and fought the Ring light heavyweight champion, in that fighter's home country.

I realize Andre Ward is younger than Calzaghe was when he moved up, but the 168 division is weaker now, and Ward has nothing left to accomplish in that division.

Why can't Andre Ward go up to light heavyweight and try to become a two-division champ? He fought at light heavyweight, and he's big and thickly-built.

Moving up from 168 to 175 isn't that big of a deal. Years ago, the 168 division didn't even exist. Ward would have HAD to fight at 175 back in the day.
    Last edited by The Hammer; 01-16-2014, 09:32 PM.

Andre Ward would never lose to a white boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
      I remember when Joe Calzaghe was 168 champion, after he had accomplished everything there was to accomplish in that division, he moved up and fought the Ring light heavyweight champion, in that fighter's home country.

I realize Andre Ward is younger than Calzaghe was when he moved up, but the 168 division is weaker now, and Ward has nothing left to accomplish in that division.

Why can't Andre Ward go up to light heavyweight and try to become a two-division champ? He fought at light heavyweight, and he's big and thickly-built.
      You mean after staying at the worst division in the history of the sport he jumps up right when it starts to get good to fight two 40 plus year old fighters one he should of lost to. Andre Ward already is more accomplished at super middle and has a better resume. Ward will move up soon, not move up on another 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post

Moving up from 168 to 175 isn't that big of a deal. Years ago, the 168 division didn't even exist. Ward would have HAD to fight at 175 back in the day.
        to be fair, Hopkins was an aging blown up middleweight, not a man with Explosive KO power like Kovalev. Little bit less of a risk for Calzaghe to give up seven pounds.
        And Calzaghe said in interviews he was having trouble making 168. From what I hear, Ward has always been very comfortable at this weight

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
          Andre Ward would never lose to a white boy.

"If you fight me you will lose."

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post

"If you fight me you will lose."
            Another hype train. Ward spanks him.

Comment

Andre ward has a big ego and he does things whenever he wants is getting old he needs to stop

Comment

Freedom you are a better poster than this.

Joe Calzaghe fought at 168 for a whole eternity. Then at 36 finally moved up to 175.

Andre Ward is merely 29 years old and just blew up in late 2009 with his Kessler win. He has 4 years being a top fighter. Calzaghe was a top fighter for about 9-10 years when he fought Hopkins. Terrible comparison.

Comment

Probably won't see Ward in awhile due to another contract dispute with Gossen-Tutor promotions.
                  Would like to see Ward challenge the lineal light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson.

Comment

Ward has fought better fighters than Calzaghe when he was the same age. Ward already has a better resume, even having two of Calzaghe's 4 best wins in Bika and Kessler, while also having Froch, Abraham, and Dawson.

Comment

Working...
                    X