Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats so fascinating about Ancient Egypt, Maya and Greece?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats so fascinating about Ancient Egypt, Maya and Greece?

There is absolutely nothing spectacular about these cultures. I find it disheartening they spent thousands of years and the only thing they discovered was how to stack one piece of rock upon another. Historians even have the audacity to say Aliens helped out! So Aliens traveled from lightyears away but couldnt provide anything faster than a sail boat?

The truth is... technology advanced faster in the last 15 years than in 1500 years in Ancient Egypt. I can call my girl from an obscure mountain in the Rockies and creep my ex on fb at the same time. I couldnt do that in 1998. Papyrus is over rated..

World History was my favorite subject in high school.

Comment

Hilarious from OP. Certainly Egypt is over hyped. Greeks gave the world much knowledge in maths, science, technology, social sciences and wonderful epic tales.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
        I can call my girl from an obscure mountain in the Rockies and creep my ex on fb at the same time.
        You wouldn't have any of that bulls**t tech if wasn't for the ancients. They paved the way for all of us. You wouldn't have a car if someone didn't invent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Joeyzagz View Post
          There is absolutely nothing spectacular about these cultures. I find it disheartening they spent thousands of years and the only thing they discovered was how to stack one piece of rock upon another. Historians even have the audacity to say Aliens helped out! So Aliens traveled from lightyears away but couldnt provide anything faster than a sail boat?

The truth is... technology advanced faster in the last 15 years than in 1500 years in Ancient Egypt. I can call my girl from an obscure mountain in the Rockies and creep my ex on fb at the same time. I couldnt do that in 1998. Papyrus is over rated..
          If you feel tall it's because you are standing on the shoulders of giants.

Comment

the ancient greeks man.

i love 'em.

so many good philosophers and scientists were from there.

Comment

did Egypt have giants?

Comment

a chapter in sagan's cosmos is devoted to the contributions of the ancient greeks to science...

plato's republic and euclid's elements are still studied today...

the matrix, dark city, truman show are rip- offs of plato's allegory of the cave...

Comment

That's a very difficult question. It will take you a lifetime to know the answer.

Archimedes, for example, discovered integral calculus more than 2 000 years ago and that's just almost infinitesimal quantity of what he did. He made so many practical inventions that were so far advanced during his time you'd think it was invented yesterday. He said, "Give me a place to stand on and I will move the earth".

Second best to him in terms of math was Erathostenes who almost accurately measured the circumference of the earth, and missed it only by a few miles, using a very simple method.

I'm not even mentioning Pythagoras who has a very simple theorem named after him. I wonder if the OP knows what pythagorean theorem is or if he has ever heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
                    Hilarious from OP. Certainly Egypt is over hyped. Greeks gave the world much knowledge in maths, science, technology, social sciences and wonderful epic tales.
                    If Egypt is over hyped, then why did many of Greece's philosophers spend so much time there studying? What they learned in Egypt, they brought back to Greece. Keep in mind that Ancient Egypt predates Ancient Greece by more than 2 millenia.

Comment

Working...
                    X