Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Hopkins was certainly the duck. He called out Roy for the rematch I believe for more exposure.

He wanted a 50/50 with Roy but I thought Roy being p4p king at the time was generous in offering 60/40 to a guy he was more relevant then and already defeated.

Can anyone say B-Hop deserved a 50/50 fight when:

Roy was considered the best fighter in the world at the time

The bigger name and bigger draw.

Already won the first fight.

And Hopkins beating Roy would do much more for him the Roy beating Hopkins again would do for Roy.

Can anyone really say this wasn’t a duck?

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
    Hopkins was certainly the duck. He called out Roy for the rematch I believe for more exposure.

He wanted a 50/50 with Roy but I thought Roy being p4p king at the time was generous in offering 60/40 to a guy he was more relevant then and already defeated.

Can anyone say B-Hop deserved a 50/50 fight when:

Roy was considered the best fighter in the world at the time

The bigger name and bigger draw.

Already won the first fight.

And Hopkins beating Roy would do much more for him the Roy beating Hopkins again would do for Roy.

Can anyone really say this wasn’t a duck?
    hopkins clearly ducked roy by making ridiculous money demands and he did the same thing with calzaghe in '02. it made me laugh when he said he would come up 7lbs if roy would come down 7 lbs. he knew that coming down in weight would be harder and it would drain RJJ.

i don't know what anoys me more - his fanboys saying he takes peoples souls or hopkins trying to make us believe hes an icon of the sport.

fantastic fighter but i don't think hes the ATG some make him out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
      hopkins clearly ducked roy by making ridiculous money demands and he did the same thing with calzaghe in '02. it made me laugh when he said he would come up 7lbs if roy would come down 7 lbs. he knew that coming down in weight would be harder and it would drain RJJ.

i don't know what anoys me more - his fanboys saying he takes peoples souls or hopkins trying to make us believe hes an icon of the sport.

fantastic fighter but i don't think hes the ATG some make him out to be.
      Hahahahahah Bushbaby gonna be mad.......... Ye it's true , Hopkins gets all this credit for beating the like of Trinidad and De La Hoya....I NEVER got what was so great about him

Comment

Roy was quite right, why should he drop 7lbs and take even money against a guy he already beat, was rated above and was the higher draw than?

Comment

There were more circumstances than just the split. Hopkins was promoting himself at the time and couldn't get decent opponents anywhere except on whatever promoter's term. Did he price himself out of the Roy fight? Perhaps, but really BHop couldn't get a fight to save his life because he was managing himself at the time, his style isn't particularly crowd pleasing, and he would beat your guy.

It wasn't just a matter of pricing himself out so much as every major promotion wanted nothing to do with him in or out of the ring.

I would bet <1% of NSB was even watching boxing when this was all going down

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            Roy was quite right, why should he drop 7lbs and take even money against a guy he already beat, was rated above and was the higher draw than?
            correct on all counts

Comment

Originally posted by adamdoyle View Post
              Hahahahahah Bushbaby gonna be mad.......... Ye it's true , Hopkins gets all this credit for beating the like of Trinidad and De La Hoya....I NEVER got what was so great about him
              well you would have to be an idiot to think those were the only 2 things he did in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                There were more circumstances than just the split. Hopkins was promoting himself at the time and couldn't get decent opponents anywhere except on whatever promoter's term. Did he price himself out of the Roy fight? Perhaps, but really BHop couldn't get a fight to save his life because he was managing himself at the time, his style isn't particularly crowd pleasing, and he would beat your guy.

It wasn't just a matter of pricing himself out so much as every major promotion wanted nothing to do with him in or out of the ring.

yes you would prob be right

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post

I agree with you here.

Also, the last part cracked me up.. lol

Comment

Smh @ Hopkins. I didn't know this lol.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                    X