Thoughts on Mo-Mousasi

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Mo-Mousasi

I just finally watched the fight.

I think Mo put on an excellent performance.

He fought his fight, and handed Mousasi a thorough beating.

He did rely on takedowns a little more than a lot of us like to see. However, given his relative lack of experience, it was a very understandable tactic imo. He merely did what it took to put himself in a position to win.

He actually landed some decent punches on the feet as well, although they were most definitely few and far between.

Nevertheless, Mo's progress to this point has been nothing short of phenomenal, and he's going to keep getting better.

He took Mousasi down at will, and was never put in any sort of danger of being finished. Mousasi took the second round, but other than that it was all Mo.

Another observation was that Mo seemed to land his takedowns in his own corner, which enabled him to receive advice from his corner while on the ground. I'm sure that was no accident.

I was sure Mo would rise to the occasion, and I think he passed this test with flying colors. While I didn't find the fight particularly lackluster, I still think it was in part a case of win today, look good tomorrow. This was a tough proposition, and Mo did his job.

You're right Mo did his job but it wasn't as impressive to me as it was to you. All I took away from that was that if he wasn't such a good wrestler, and didn't have that strength he would be f.ucked. He basically GSP'ed the guy to death only took more damage in doing so. His conditioning was really bad for a guy who is as good of an athlete as he is.

On the feet it was pretty even. Neither man got the better of the exchanges, neither man landed anything of note IMO. Mousasi looked like he gave up at the end of the second round and was content to stay on his back when Mo took him down. If he atempted at all to try and scramble he might have faired better but he didn't so we'll never know.

One thing Mo did show was that he has great potential. That explosive way of fighting (with regards to his striking or his wrestling) is always one of my favourite styles. If he can back it up with a bit of control, work on his conditioning and learn some ways topass the guard he will be a beast. As for now, he's doing his job, and that's all you can ask.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
      You're right Mo did his job but it wasn't as impressive to me as it was to you. All I took away from that was that if he wasn't such a good wrestler, and didn't have that strength he would be f.ucked. He basically GSP'ed the guy to death only took more damage in doing so. His conditioning was really bad for a guy who is as good of an athlete as he is.

On the feet it was pretty even. Neither man got the better of the exchanges, neither man landed anything of note IMO. Mousasi looked like he gave up at the end of the second round and was content to stay on his back when Mo took him down. If he atempted at all to try and scramble he might have faired better but he didn't so we'll never know.

One thing Mo did show was that he has great potential. That explosive way of fighting (with regards to his striking or his wrestling) is always one of my favourite styles. If he can back it up with a bit of control, work on his conditioning and learn some ways topass the guard he will be a beast. As for now, he's doing his job, and that's all you can ask.
      I agree. I wasn't particularly as impressed as I made myself out to be perhaps, however I guess I was reacting against the naysayers out there. I actually don't think Mo showed off his potential in this fight. However, I think that given the gap in experience it was understandable. I think Mo was capable of fighting a better fight, striking a bit more, and passing the guard. However, he contented himself with going for takedowns and laying in Mousasi's guard for the most part.

Still, I think if he would have had more than 6 fights to this point to develop his game, we would have seen a different fight. As I said, I think he basically went out there to employ his strengths and get the W, and look better next time. I don't recall seeing Mo hunting for takedowns in any of his other fights to this point, despite being one of the most credentialed wrestlers in MMA, so I think this fight was a case of Mo doing what he had to do to score the win and win the title. I still think that the sky is the limit for this guy.

I may sound like I'm jumping the gun here, and I would almost agree with that, but I can even potentially see him giving Fedor a decent fight 4 or 5 fights down the line. A lot could happen between now and then, but I just think Mo has all the tools for success. And for the record, my heart as well as my head would be in Fedor's corner on such a night.

Comment

off his back, Mousasi damaged him pretty well, in Japan Mousasi would have won that fight because takedowns doesnt score there, just like Hansen beating JZ off his back

Comment

Honestly, I wasn't overly impressed. Yeah he beat a top guy but he didn't really convince me he was legit.

Had Mousasi been less complacent and let his hands go, I don't think Mo would have made it out.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions about Mo.

His striking is average
          His cardio is suspect
          His BJJ is very limited

For a guy like Mo with his wrestling creds and his kind of power double, spamming takedowns on a guy that was visibly lighter than him for 5 rounds isn't very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            I agree. I wasn't particularly as impressed as I made myself out to be perhaps, however I guess I was reacting against the naysayers out there. I actually don't think Mo showed off his potential in this fight. However, I think that given the gap in experience it was understandable. I think Mo was capable of fighting a better fight, striking a bit more, and passing the guard. However, he contented himself with going for takedowns and laying in Mousasi's guard for the most part.

Still, I think if he would have had more than 6 fights to this point to develop his game, we would have seen a different fight. As I said, I think he basically went out there to employ his strengths and get the W, and look better next time. I don't recall seeing Mo hunting for takedowns in any of his other fights to this point, despite being one of the most credentialed wrestlers in MMA, so I think this fight was a case of Mo doing what he had to do to score the win and win the title. I still think that the sky is the limit for this guy.

I may sound like I'm jumping the gun here, and I would almost agree with that, but I can even potentially see him giving Fedor a decent fight 4 or 5 fights down the line. A lot could happen between now and then, but I just think Mo has all the tools for success. And for the record, my heart as well as my head would be in Fedor's corner on such a night.
            I'm glad he did use his strengths. I was afraid he was gonna pull a Sean Sherk and forget he is a wrestler, and just relied on standup. It probably would've done his gas tank a service but it's a risky game to play when it's not you're strength.

Comment

All I thought is "Rampage would murder this guy"....

Comment

Originally posted by -Rabbit Punch- View Post
                All I thought is "Rampage would murder this guy"....
                I'd take Mo over Rampage. Rampage is a nuttcase, Mo has his head screwed on right. Not to mention that Rampage hasn't fought recently, which makes hima giant question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  I'd take Mo over Rampage. Rampage is a nuttcase, Mo has his head screwed on right. Not to mention that Rampage hasn't fought recently, which makes hima giant question mark.
                  At this point in time I would too, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Rampage ragdolled him either.

Comment

Originally posted by jakkups View Post
                    At this point in time I would too, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Rampage ragdolled him either.
                    I can't really see Mo being ragdolled by anyone. Rampage could outstrike him, but then I think Mo would know what to expect. Still, defending the takedown and striking would probably be Rampage's best bet.

That said, the fight's not happening so there's almost no point in talking about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X