No announcement yet.

Chase8400: Jones passes the torch to Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chase8400: Jones passes the torch to Calzaghe

Well,it appears like my prediction was incorrect and Joe performed magnificent. But I do want to mention that it was not too far off. Jones did land an early KD and landed a monster uppercut in the 6th round that would have KO'd allot of guys at the weight. I predicted a 6th rd. TKO. I knew Roy's style would be trouble for Joe if Roy showed that old spark. He did some good things,but after those middle rounds passed and Joes work rate pumped up, it was definitely discouraging. The cut in the 7th did'nt help matters either.All in all, it was apparent that the current top light heavyweight was fighting the best from several years past. It was an exciting fight and I have to give Joe credit for his great work rate, adjusting ability and one hell of a granite chin. I stand firm that if Roy went all out after that KD in the first he could have finished Joe off. Of course, this is 2008 and not 1998 afterall and those days are long passed. Call it old age or reluctance due to the KO's, but I say Jones was done after moving up to heavyweight and fulfilling that dream. This was never as clear as it is now. I finally feel like Roy should retire. This was the conceding of the crown to a fresher , younger and new champ. I still think Jones would have whipped up on Calzaghe in his prime but I want to give credit where it is due. Calzaghe is great and he will have his special place in history to verify it.This was allot like the ALI-HOLMES fight. Long live the Italian Dragon.

Thanks for the memories Roy, we as fans wish you well!

Where have you been? Jones didn't have the torch before yesterday. It was forcefully taken from him by Tarver.

Comment

This was NOTHING like Holmes-Ali. Holmes-Ali featured a massive age gap between a prime great and a shot one who couldn't dream of competing above the club level any longer. Calzaghe is a less past prime great beating a past prime one who's probably viable with all but the A-class for a just a little longer. Folks need to stop acting like Calzaghe is a new face. he's not. been an an elite level fighter for going on 12 years. His proving ground just came later a la Hopkins earlier this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bull View Post
        Where have you been? Jones didn't have the torch before yesterday. It was forcefully taken from him by Tarver.
        If you had any sense, you would know that I was meaning in terms of careers. I know very well how the light-heavy lineage has passed, but thanks for the wannabe lesson. If ya want to have things in perspective, then realize this. Roy Jones was a world champion in two weight classes , was on his 34th fight , P4P #1 and had fought in 10 world title fights by the time Calzaghe won his first world title. Their ages are close, in those terms but in terms of ring wear, etc..... Jones was in tougher fights long before Joe even fought a guy considered good enough to be a bum. Joe Calzaghe was winning his first world title in 1997 , 23 fights in when Jones was beating Montell Griffin in the rematch in his 35th fight.

After Jones, nobody has held domination in the division, so Jones is the one who has to pass the torch, not Bernard who lost in his 3rd LHW fight. I know exactly what you are getting at. Too predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          This was NOTHING like Holmes-Ali. Holmes-Ali featured a massive age gap between a prime great and a shot one who couldn't dream of competing above the club level any longer. Calzaghe is a less past prime great beating a past prime one who's probably viable with all but the A-class for a just a little longer. Folks need to stop acting like Calzaghe is a new face. he's not. been an an elite level fighter for going on 12 years. His proving ground just came later a la Hopkins earlier this decade.
          Just read my post above.

Kinda cool that a shot Roy Jones can still drop Joe @ 39 years of age after being brutally stopped by two guys a few years back and with slow reflexes & no stamina, huh? You need to realize that Joe is living off of old greats and would have not beaten Jones or Hopkins earlier , while in their primes.

Comment

Working...
          X