Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If HBO makes $$$ from PPV... why refuse to produce Pac-Vargas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sup View Post
    Yeah they should have done everything in their power to secure the Broner fight. I don't think Arum wanted it at all.
    Broner, Garcia, Thurman, Porter, Khan, Spence, hell if you want to keep it all in house then Crawford is a no brainer. Whether it's Manny's team avoiding Crawford or Arum not wanting to risk Crawford regardless that's the easiest fight to make as both are signed with Top Rank. Also a big factor is besides the Floyd fight Manny's PPVs the last few years have declined badly. Bradley, Algieri, Rios all PPV bombs. He's now a fighter who demands a huge paycheck but who's PPV returns don't really justify that anymore. Plus he's got a promoter who is more headache then worth right now. If Manny was 5-10 years younger and his PPVs were still high then maybe HBO would move mountains and deal with this crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
      HBO doesn't want the fight. Arum is saying it's going to be on Top Rank TV PPV
      Wow if Arum really goes through with that he will take a major loss unless Manny fights for peanuts. Without HBO or a major network producing and promoting the fight it will be a huge bust. Manny's last fight against Bradley who beat Vargas did what 400k PPV buys. Without HBO and with Vargas who NOBODY outside of diehard fans know I say this fight does 100k if Top Rank produces it themselves. How the F can you afford to pay Manny his close to 20m purse requirement? Even if HBO carried it I think it does less then the Bradley fight which LOST money!

Comment

I thought I've read something months ago about Arum threatening to move his fights to Showtime when the new HBO exec refused to buy them. I don't remember the name of the fighters. This was post Bradley 3.

I believe HBO and Arum settled their differences and made some kind of arrangements. One of which is HBO won't have anything to do with PPV buys. They're not making any money from them anyways even in high profile fights.

Don't know if this video is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
          Wow if Arum really goes through with that he will take a major loss unless Manny fights for peanuts. Without HBO or a major network producing and promoting the fight it will be a huge bust. Manny's last fight against Bradley who beat Vargas did what 400k PPV buys. Without HBO and with Vargas who NOBODY outside of diehard fans know I say this fight does 100k if Top Rank produces it themselves. How the F can you afford to pay Manny his close to 20m purse requirement? Even if HBO carried it I think it does less then the Bradley fight which LOST money!
          That $20 Mil guarantee was renegotiated. Manny doesn't get that anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            That $20 Mil guarantee was renegotiated. Manny doesn't get that anymore.

I wonder how much he had to slash that amount. Will be interesting to see what the fight night purse is for Manny going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdunny1 View Post
              I wonder how much he had to slash that amount. Will be interesting to see what the fight night purse is for Manny going forward.
              Here's an interview he did yesterday

And HBO will not televise the bout, Arum said, declining to elaborate the TV plans beyond calling it a coming “blockbuster announcement.”

One possibility floated by a veteran fight-maker is that ESPN could emerge as a pay-per-view distributor for Pacquiao-Vargas.

Arum said Pacquiao (58-6-2, 38 KOs) has agreed not to demand a guaranteed purse in excess of $25 million as he’s done during prior bouts on his contract with the promoter.

“We’re not talking about those kind of crazy numbers,” Arum said.
              http://www.latimes.com/sports/boxing...nap-story.html

Comment

This video indicates clash between Arum and Nelson who had different match-making ideas with Arum's boy Crawford. It also gives a clue why Crawford and Paqcuiao didn't happen. Arum thought it's too early.

Comment

Working...
                X