Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim Watt! Your view good commentator or not

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He has a bias in favour of fighters that practise the sport correctly. And that in itself, is only correct.

His frustration shows when fighters like Hatton and Froch bring bad practice and technique onto the world stage. His criticism is usually justified. If you're a fan of those fighters though, as I was with Hatton, it can be infuriating to listen to.

He's always excelled at British and European level fights where he gives the combatants more leeway. When it comes to the world stage he can seem hyper-critical if you have an emotional attachment to the fighter that he's criticising.

As someone who used to dislike his commentary, or rather his constant berating of Hatton's 'silly little mistakes', after listening to many broadcasts from the likes of Channel 5, HBO and Showtime as well as other commentators on Sky, I rate him as one of the best out there.

Al Bernstein and Paulie Malignaggi do it better but no one at HBO or Sky does.

Comment

don't like him he lets his bias get in the way and his voice is annoying to boot

Comment

'Silly boy, silly silly boy'

What Jim Watt was saying about Benn, just b4 he stopped McClellan

Lol at Benn post fight, gesturing with gloved fist, and calling him a 'hand job'

Pretty spot on imo

Comment

We will miss Jim when he's gone...

Granted he's not as he good as he was when he was on itv with Reg Gutteridge and in the early sky days but he's still a legend IMO.

Comment

Excellent in his day......but now he call fights way too soon and tends to over-commit and you sense that he's not as well-connected with the current fighters, form guide or politics of the sport. A real shame, because today's fans are not seeing the best of him and query whether he knows his stuff.

Reg Gutteridge used to be good to for Jim; Reg knew the background to the fight, was a master of calling the action and kept Jim on a leash. His job was to give a fighter's perspective and technical analysis. Worked well for years.

If you watch some of their old ITV eighties/early nineties fights they were actually just as good as the legendary Harry Carpenter......

Comment

His commentary shakes me right to me boots.

Comment

Originally posted by - Ram Raid -
                He has a bias in favour of fighters that practise the sport correctly. And that in itself, is only correct.

His frustration shows when fighters like Hatton and Froch bring bad practice and technique onto the world stage. His criticism is usually justified. If you're a fan of those fighters though, as I was with Hatton, it can be infuriating to listen to.

He's always excelled at British and European level fights where he gives the combatants more leeway. When it comes to the world stage he can seem hyper-critical if you have an emotional attachment to the fighter that he's criticising.

As someone who used to dislike his commentary, or rather his constant berating of Hatton's 'silly little mistakes', after listening to many broadcasts from the likes of Channel 5, HBO and Showtime as well as other commentators on Sky, I rate him as one of the best out there.

Al Bernstein and Paulie Malignaggi do it better but no one at HBO or Sky does.
                Very well spoken. He's a legend.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                  Hit and miss...

His commentary about Groves/Froch was spot on though, with him being a Skysports commentator I honestly thought he would suck up the ass of Froch but he never and he gave a odd/rare unbiased view for that night which was a pleasing change.
                  to be fair yes i think he was actually alright on that one

every other time i've heard him though, oh man this site would just censor all the words i wanna use...

Comment

He's the Murray Walker of boxing commentary, he's funny and only gets it right half the time, I say keep him

Comment

his voice IS boxing, like john motson IS football or that snooker chap..

that said, i'd like a fanzone-type option for fights, like they used to do on sky for the football. maybe we could get fighters wives to do commentary? or get lee froch to commentate on froch V groves II, now that would be shyte commentary
                      Last edited by HeadBodyBodyBody; 03-13-2014, 05:10 PM. Reason: i want the swear-word to be a little clearer

Comment

Working...
                      X