Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Hank Armstrong ever go up against a great boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toney Loc View Post
    If there's no footage, there is no empirical answer.

Hearsay from old timers doesn't count because accounts vary from person to person and the sport is highly subjective and politicized. Especially over generations.

Son's take what their fathers say at face value and perpetuate myths.

Ross was not slick. I don't care how many times you repeat it, I saw the goddamn fight. So stop trying to convince me that I saw something other than what I saw because it ain't working.

He had zero movement and zero strategy and got steamrolled.
    So, you ask if Armstrong has fought a great boxer than when an example of a great boxer he fought is given it means that he didn't fight the great boxer?

You may not be able to see it, but the fact remains that he did fight a boxer. Which ultimately is what you're asking.

Ross wasn't slick per se. But, he was a great boxer. Very skilled, great timing, jab, counterpunchers, Ring IQ, he was a great boxer - Fact.

Just because you evidently know nothing of Barney Ross doesn't change that fact and doesn't change the fact that it answers your question either. Which for some reason you keep saying hasn't happened

And, you don't think Armstrong's ability had anything to do with him being "Steamrolled"?

Was that the idea of this thread? To ask if Armstrong had ever fought a great boxer then when given examples of great boxers he's fought just dismiss them and ask the same question again?

And Ross isn't even the only boxer named here. He fought a few.

And am I ever going to get these names his managers kept him away from or are you going to just keep ignoring that question? I'm intrigued to see this list of slicksters that Armstrong avoided.

Comment

You still can't name a guy he's avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        You still can't name a guy he's avoided.
        You still can't name anyone that he fought in the style of JMM or Floyd and provide scientific evidence.

Comment

You still can't name anyone that he fought in the style of JMM or Floyd and provide scientific evidence.
          Are you going to answer the question then or what?

Comment

So wait, now it has to be "In the style of JMM or Floyd" that he's fought?

I thought it was "Has he fought a great boxer?" After all, that is what the Thread Title states.

But of course, that question has been answered numerous times.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              So wait, now it has to be "In the style of JMM or Floyd" that he's fought?

I thought it was "Has he fought a great boxer?" After all, that is what the Thread Title states.

But of course, that question has been answered numerous times.
              Its pretty simple.

Someone who moves laterally, turns and uses angles.

The fights I've seen are all of guys that stand there and trade with him. People keep saying Ross is some "slick" fighter yet all he did was back straight up like a dumb chump.

I know I'm supposed to ignore common sense and just give Ross praise blindly, but the fight didn't reflect that.

It showed a guy trying to fight fire with fire and getting blown out.

Floyd or JMM would never do that.

They're too good and too smart.

Comment

Its pretty simple.

Someone who moves laterally, turns and uses angles.

The fights I've seen are all of guys that stand there and trade with him. People keep saying Ross is some "slick" fighter yet all he did was back straight up like a dumb chump.

I know I'm supposed to ignore common sense and just give Ross praise blindly, but the fight didn't reflect that.

It showed a guy trying to fight fire with fire and getting blown out.

Floyd or JMM would never do that.

They're too good and too smart.
                Perhaps they had no choice but to stand and trade? Perhaps they couldn't help or stop their opponent from fighting their fight? Does that not occur to you?

How many times has the "Boxer" being forced by the pressure fighter to fight his fight and had their will broken? Does that mean that that "Boxer" is no longer a "boxer"? Because he was forced to stand and trade? Because his gameplan wasn't working? No, of course it doesn't.

And Ross had lateral movement in abudance. He had the ability to slip punches and fire back, he was all of those things. This is a fact. Which again answers your question - "Has Armstrong ever fought a great boxer?". Ross, fits that description.

The fact he was forced to fight and willed out of his game plan doesn't change that fact. And neither will the amount of times you dismiss it.

Comment

Perhaps they had no choice but to stand and trade? Perhaps they couldn't help or stop their opponent from fighting their fight? Does that not occur to you?

How many times has the "Boxer" being forced by the pressure fighter to fight his fight and had their will broken? Does that mean that that "Boxer" is no longer a "boxer"? Because he was forced to stand and trade? Because his gameplan wasn't working? No, of course it doesn't.

And Ross had lateral movement in abudance. He had the ability to slip punches and fire back, he was all of those things. This is a fact. Which again answers your question - "Has Armstrong ever fought a great boxer?". Ross, fights that description.

The fact he was forced to fight and willed out of his game plan doesn't change that fact. And neither will the amount of times you dismiss it.
                  Except that Ross didn't have that. I hate to keep repeating myself, but the fight doesn't bear this out.

There are plenty of examples of slick boxers playing matador to bull vs. aggressive guys like Hank. But this isn't one of those examples.

Here, he more or less tries to be tough, gets his ass kicked and figures out he screwed up by the time its too late.

Comment

Are you going to answer the question then or what?
                    ??????????????????????????

Comment

Except that Ross didn't have that. I hate to keep repeating myself, but the fight doesn't bear this out.

There are plenty of examples of slick boxers playing matador to bull vs. aggressive guys like Hank. But this isn't one of those examples.

Here, he more or less tries to be tough, gets his ass kicked and figures out he screwed up by the time its too late.
                      You keep repeating nonsense. Ross does have that, though Just go and watch his fights.

Are you denying that Barney Ross is a great boxer and technician ? Because if so, that's just plain ignorance.

False; He isn't "trying to be tough" he's being forced to be tough. Armstrong had a habbit of doing that, believe it or not.

Fact of the matter is you asked a question and a lit of fighters have been given that fit that criteria. Whether you deny it or not doesn't change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X