Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lara vs Kirkland being discussed for Angulo Vanes undercard.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Nice!!!!!!

Comment

154lb tourney? let's add Cotto-Margarito to that mix and we got a good 2 years of JMW Boxing!!

Comment

im tired of seeing and hearing about kirkland...

Comment

James could potentially out work Lara if he stays in Lara's chest.

If he gives Lara room he will get outboxed or KO'd.

Comment

Kirkland have better learned some defense in the last couple of months because Lara has a laser left hand that found it's mark against the last southpaw he faced.

Comment

ANGULO-MARTIROSYAN, LARA-KIRKLAND COULD LAND ON HBO ON NOV. 5

by Lem Satterfield
              Sep 7th, 2011

Junior middleweight contenders Alfredo Angulo and Vanes Martirosyan could meet in a main event with an undercard that matches fellow 154-pound standouts Erislandy Lara and James Kirkland if plans come to fruition for Golden Boy Promotions, the organization's CEO Richard Schaefer and matchmaker Eric Gomez told ******.com on Tuesday.

The night of junior middleweights would take place on HBO from Mexico on Nov. 5, they said.

The 29-year-old Angulo (20-1, 17 knockouts) has scored five straight knockouts in as many consecutive victories since losing a unanimous decision to Kermit Cintron (33-4-1, 28 KOs) in May of 2009. Angulo is coming off last month's first-round knockout of Joseph Gomez.

Promoted by Top Rank Inc., the 25-year-old Martirosyan improved to 30-0 by scoring his 19th knockout in the seventh round against Saul Roman in June.

"We have made an offer for [Angulo-Martirosyan] to happen on Nov. 5," said Schaefer, who has been in discussions with Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum about matching Angulo and Martirosyan.

"I made an offer on Thursday to [Top Rank Vice President] Carl Moretti," said Gomez. "And he got back to me today that he's supposed to have an offer tomorrow from Vanes."

Since it is an eliminator for the right to be the WBC's No. 1 contender, the winner of Angulo-Martirosyan would be in line to meet 21-year-old titleholder Saul Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs), who must first get beyond a defense against Alfonso Gomez (23-4-1, 12 KOs) on Sept. 17 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"It was [Angulo-Martirosyan] a mandated fight by the WBC, so it's the final eliminator, and I thinik that it would be a terrific fight. So I made an offer to Vanes, and I'm just waiting for him to answer," said Gomez.

"I know that Vanes has been itching for a big fight, and he said that he would fight against Angulo, so it's a very good offer. It's a very, very good offer. We'll see what happens if he takes it or not."

The 28-year-old Lara (15-1-1, 10 knockouts) is coming off of a disputed, controversial majority decision loss to three-time titlist Paul Williams (40-2, 27 KOs) in July on HBO that most ringsiders thought he had won.

Lara had been considered for a clash of southpaws opposite WBO titleholder Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), but that did not work out, said Schaefer.

"I was informed by [Dzinziruk's promoter] Gary Shaw that that is not going to happen, so we are going to see if maybe Lara against Kirkland can be a possibility," said Schaefer.

"Gary Shaw said that Dzinziruk is not going to work because of financial reasons. So it is a possibility that Kirkland could be getting the fight with Lara."

The 27-year-old Kirkland (29-1, 26 KOs) scored his second straight knockout in as many wins since being reunited with trainer Ann Wolfe after stopping Alexis Hloros 25 seconds into the second round in July.

Another possibility to face Lara is southpaw WBA "regular" beltholder Austin Trout (23-0, 13 KOs), said Schaefer.

Alvarez-Gomez is part of an HBO Pay Per View televised, split-site double-header whose main event features Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) defending his WBC welterweight belt opposite Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs) from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...n-hbo-on-nov-5

Comment

Screw dzindsfnfnq;wfenklfmk i want lara vs kirkland

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
                  154lb tourney? let's add Cotto-Margarito to that mix and we got a good 2 years of JMW Boxing!!
                  One problem...BOB ARUM!!!

Comment

Gotta love the 154 Division. I'm confident Lara puts away Kirkland and possibly Dzinziruk as well. I hope Angulo/Martirosyan is on, that is one hell of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                      ANGULO-MARTIROSYAN, LARA-KIRKLAND COULD LAND ON HBO ON NOV. 5

by Lem Satterfield
                      Sep 7th, 2011

Junior middleweight contenders Alfredo Angulo and Vanes Martirosyan could meet in a main event with an undercard that matches fellow 154-pound standouts Erislandy Lara and James Kirkland if plans come to fruition for Golden Boy Promotions, the organization's CEO Richard Schaefer and matchmaker Eric Gomez told ******.com on Tuesday.

The night of junior middleweights would take place on HBO from Mexico on Nov. 5, they said.

The 29-year-old Angulo (20-1, 17 knockouts) has scored five straight knockouts in as many consecutive victories since losing a unanimous decision to Kermit Cintron (33-4-1, 28 KOs) in May of 2009. Angulo is coming off last month's first-round knockout of Joseph Gomez.

Promoted by Top Rank Inc., the 25-year-old Martirosyan improved to 30-0 by scoring his 19th knockout in the seventh round against Saul Roman in June.

"We have made an offer for [Angulo-Martirosyan] to happen on Nov. 5," said Schaefer, who has been in discussions with Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum about matching Angulo and Martirosyan.

"I made an offer on Thursday to [Top Rank Vice President] Carl Moretti," said Gomez. "And he got back to me today that he's supposed to have an offer tomorrow from Vanes."

Since it is an eliminator for the right to be the WBC's No. 1 contender, the winner of Angulo-Martirosyan would be in line to meet 21-year-old titleholder Saul Alvarez (37-0-1, 27 KOs), who must first get beyond a defense against Alfonso Gomez (23-4-1, 12 KOs) on Sept. 17 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.

"It was [Angulo-Martirosyan] a mandated fight by the WBC, so it's the final eliminator, and I thinik that it would be a terrific fight. So I made an offer to Vanes, and I'm just waiting for him to answer," said Gomez.

"I know that Vanes has been itching for a big fight, and he said that he would fight against Angulo, so it's a very good offer. It's a very, very good offer. We'll see what happens if he takes it or not."

The 28-year-old Lara (15-1-1, 10 knockouts) is coming off of a disputed, controversial majority decision loss to three-time titlist Paul Williams (40-2, 27 KOs) in July on HBO that most ringsiders thought he had won.

Lara had been considered for a clash of southpaws opposite WBO titleholder Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), but that did not work out, said Schaefer.

"I was informed by [Dzinziruk's promoter] Gary Shaw that that is not going to happen, so we are going to see if maybe Lara against Kirkland can be a possibility," said Schaefer.

"Gary Shaw said that Dzinziruk is not going to work because of financial reasons. So it is a possibility that Kirkland could be getting the fight with Lara."

The 27-year-old Kirkland (29-1, 26 KOs) scored his second straight knockout in as many wins since being reunited with trainer Ann Wolfe after stopping Alexis Hloros 25 seconds into the second round in July.

Another possibility to face Lara is southpaw WBA "regular" beltholder Austin Trout (23-0, 13 KOs), said Schaefer.

Alvarez-Gomez is part of an HBO Pay Per View televised, split-site double-header whose main event features Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) defending his WBC welterweight belt opposite Floyd Mayweather Jr. (41-0, 25 KOs) from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...n-hbo-on-nov-5
                      Thanks for the Post Phantom. Good stuff.

I don't want to see Kirkland facing an elite boxer like Lara just yet. Give him a fight or two against a fighter like a Latimore, powell....or even a wolak...

Austin Trout/Lara would be a great fight. Trout would jump at the opportunity to fight on HBO. Fighting in Mexico wouldn't be a problem either because he won his tittle in mexico and defended it their too...

Hope Vanes steps up though...it's all up to him now...

Comment

Working...
                      X