No announcement yet.

AJ not gonna risk his belt for less than his last fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
    Not once have I said I care what he makes. I don't mind if he loses. Nor have many others but the point is he has a value now you can literally put a number on it £15 million seems to be the number. And this isn't America. There is a finite amount of money that can be made here. So you can talk about people being mini promoters but it is very formulaic over here. You can near enough do some amateur accounting and cost the whole event if you're boring enough.

At this point they're all playing the game. But there is no need being naive about it. Obviously if American money was brought in the game changes completely.

If you are saying AJ should fight just for the sport of it. Then nobody is really gonna disagree with that in principle but only say that that it is naive.

Because like you said Boxing is barely a sport. What it is is prizefighting.

When fighters earn this kind of money I don't even view it as positive from a fans point of view because it nixes fights and creates awful undercards. As every pound and penny fought over tooth and nail. You know some poor bastard is going to be getting blasted on the undercard for beer tokens.
    I do agree 100% on last paragraph

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
      Well we will see.I know Paker's promoter just said 40% but he cant be that dumb(although this Duco promoter is somewhat new to boxing)But people got to understand that this is negotiating.When you go buy a car you ask for less then YOU KNOW what u will pay.Then dealer come back with counter but YOU NEVER want to offer more then he is willing to take.So you ALWAYS start high.Parker and his people are prob just trying to get to 30 as hearn's offer was 20%.Same with Wilder who knows damn well as does his promoter(who I have yet to hear asking for 50)that he aint getting 50% their trying to get closer to 35 or so.
      He said 40% and not a cent less. He called a press conference to announce it. At that point, there's no point in further discussions. If there were, he would probably have replied to the offer directly.

Fans don't need to know what is actually happening in talks while they are happening. On the Joshua - Wilder front, there has been no word on it other than from Wilder who is calling for 50 - 50 while Haymon and Finkel do the actual negotiating behind closed doors.

Comment

Originally posted by lolasif View Post
        I think the Wilder fight will happen. Maybe not next, but in the summer.

I don't think Parker will face AJ or Wilder though.
        Yeah, this will land next summer, i'm sure.

Surprised Povetkin's promoter hasn't approached Parker's team. He'd get a great pay day in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
          Yeah, this will land next summer, i'm sure.

Surprised Povetkin's promoter hasn't approached Parker's team. He'd get a great pay day in Russia.
          Povetkin is fighting for the WBO mandatory spot next month. If he wins that, he will be able to get the Parker fight pretty cheap. Duco won the purse bid for the Fury fight with £2.2m. World of Boxing can blow that kind of money out of the water if they would like. Even if Duco win the bid, they will sell the fight to World of Boxing like they did with Hennessy.

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
            Plus like I said in other post Joshua WILL NOT BE TAKIN A PAY CUT for Wilder fight.Smaller % but bigger pie.
            This is the key point. How much bigger a pie can Wilder bake? The biggest pies at present are being baked at Wembley by Eddie Hearn, but there's a limit to the size of the dish, aka the capacity of Wembley and the willingness of people to pay more than £40 or so to sit at the back of a 90,000 capacity stadium and see some stick figures duke it out. Maybe Wilder puts a little on the gate, but not significantly more in my view.

Second limitation the numbers that will tune in on PPV. Less consumers in the UK, less of a tradition of PPV, no appetite for paying the huge sums US PPV consumers lash out. Again, a well promoted Wilder fight may push this take up some, but there's a ceiling to reach there too.

So either Wilder radically improves his US recognition to the point where Vegas wants to put in a big bid and US PPV likewise, in which case he DESERVES a bigger percentage, or he's coming over to get a slice of a roughly similar sized pie. In which case, he'll have to let AJ take the first and biggest slice, because he's already getting pie like Wilder can only dream of.
            Last edited by Holler; 11-16-2017, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
              This is the key point. How much bigger a pie can Wilder bake? The biggest pies at present are being baked at Wembley by Eddie Hearn, but there's a limit to the size of the dish, aka the capacity of Wembley and the willingness of people to pay more than £40 or so to sit at the back of a 90,000 capacity stadium and see some stick figures duke it out. Maybe Wilder puts a little on the gate, but not significantly more in my view.

Second limitation the numbers that will tune in on PPV. Less consumers in the UK, less of a tradition of PPV, no appetite for paying the huge sums US PPV consumers lash out. Again, a well promoted Wilder fight may push this take up some, but there's a ceiling to reach there too.

So either Wilder radically improves his US recognition to the point where Vegas wants to put in a big bid and US PPV likewise, in which case he DESERVES a bigger percentage, or he's coming over to get a slice of a roughly similar sized pie. In which case, he'll have to let AJ take the first and biggest slice, because he's already getting pie like Wilder can only dream of.

That bit there is what have been trying to put across over the last few weeks. And the more reason why i dont think that fight happens next.

Wilder is getting his name out there because they have attached his name to Joshua, people are NOW taking notice and talking about those two. Hoepfully this would lead to his profile going up over the next few months.

Maybe this would help get the bigger guns in from networks to vegas to more fans etc, thus making the option of that fight bigger financially, thus making it possible for us to see that fight next year in vegas (Enough money to pay both).

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
                That bit there is what have been trying to put across over the last few weeks. And the more reason why i dont think that fight happens next.

Wilder is getting his name out there because they have attached his name to Joshua, people are NOW taking notice and talking about those two. Hoepfully this would lead to his profile going up over the next few months.

Maybe this would help get the bigger guns in from networks to vegas to more fans etc, thus making the option of that fight bigger financially, thus making it possible for us to see that fight next year in vegas (Enough money to pay both).
                I stopped lurking and started posting here because I couldn't stand seeing so many people failing to get the commercial aspect.

If I were Hearn and Finkel, once they're on their own and the nonsense for the masses has stopped for a second I'd be mapping out a plan to make the fight far bigger than it would be if it were announced for next spring.

For Joshua, Wilder is an opportunity to do far more than win another belt. If it captures the US imagination it could open the US market to him. He's currently building a great 'brand' which would only be enhanced if he can break America.

Joshua can go after Parker, then maybe take a mandatory or a big UK fight like Haye/Bellew. Every time Wilder can be mentioned and do his thing, show up there in a daft coat, call out the winner etc.

Wilder can keep on pushing the 'you dodging' narrative and hopefully the interest will build for a massive unification fight in Vegas.

Not only could this generate the funds for each to get what they want, it could rejuvenate the moribund US heavyweight scene and there could be even more lucrative sequels etc to follow.

Comment

Working...
                X