No announcement yet.

Purposed Budget Would Partly Replace Food Stamp Benefits With Canned Goods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
    I say just keep the EBT cards but cut out certain foods like chips, candy, and sugary drinks.
    Agree 100%. Idk why you couldn't do the same thing as WIC does & just have an approved "Buy" list of products. I think I seen at a store last night that WIC even gots a app that'll help you know what you can or can't purchase & I think like 80%+ got a smartphone these days & it'll just be a minute before everyone gots one or could have one I imagine.

Also a few pages back some poster said that after 3 years that person should be cut off, I say increase it to 5 years because liberals would be complaining that 3 years is too short.
    I'm against any cutoff period. Idk why anyone would be okay with a cutoff & thats one of my biggest issues with how sh^t works now cuz all you are really doing is pushing the problem onto someone elses lap or worse commending those people to a more unpleasant, less likely to turn things around existence than they already got if there are no soup kitchens or food banks around cuz everyone needs food.

To me the governments job in situations like this is to give people in need the bear minimum for survival. And if they aren't doing that THEY are failing the citizens more than the citizens are failing the government.

Comment

I say just keep the EBT cards but cut out certain foods like chips, candy, and sugary drinks. Also require work requirements for single able bodied males. Also a few pages back some poster said that after 3 years that person should be cut off, I say increase it to 5 years because liberals would be complaining that 3 years is too short.

No need for drastic changes, just a few slight changes here and there to make the system more efficient and more accountable.
      This is reasonable and makes sense. WHat is sad is that eating healthy in America is ridiculously expensive.

Comment

I say just keep the EBT cards but cut out certain foods like chips, candy, and sugary drinks. Also require work requirements for single able bodied males. Also a few pages back some poster said that after 3 years that person should be cut off, I say increase it to 5 years because liberals would be complaining that 3 years is too short.

No need for drastic changes, just a few slight changes here and there to make the system more efficient and more accountable.
        No. That's called communism. Or at least that's what is was called when Mrs. Obama was getting rid of unhealthy foods in schools. But today that's called common sense. MAGA

Comment

It's not a bad idea actually, I know a lot of people who sell their food stamps for a smaller dollar amount. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
            No. That's called communism. Or at least that's what is was called when Mrs. Obama was getting rid of unhealthy foods in schools. But today that's called common sense. MAGA
            No one called it communism, idiot.

People attacked it mainly because is was anti choice, the kids were throwing it away, and the hypocrisy of a fat woman who ate junk food championing it.

You never keep up, do you.

Comment

Originally posted by $Bullsfam$ View Post
              It's not a bad idea actually, I know a lot of people who sell their food stamps for a smaller dollar amount. It's ridiculous.
              MCC was, and maybe still is, on welfare. You know he did it, as he's so opposed to new ways to combat fraud and abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                WHat is sad is that eating healthy in America is ridiculously expensive.
                Is it? I keep hearing people say that, but the better I eat the less money I seem to spend on food & vice versa. But I guess some cats are going to Whole Foods to pay $8 for a lb of grapes & buying $2 tomatoes so their mileage may vary.

Back when I was in NY I'd go to the Farmers Market & get a sh^tton of food, like I'd just max out at what I could carry without dropping a bag, for like $20 or $30. Now here in Vegas there are a bunch of Mexican stores that got great produce that I can get virtually the same value for my dollar as the Farmers Market.

I'd guess there are inexpensive means to good food almost everywhere in the US. And there are strategies to get better food for cheap to not unlike coupons for the bad food. At Farmers Markets if you go there close to closing time you can usually get 50%+ more value cuz guys are letting sh^t go at a deep discount so they don't gotta load it back up to their truck &/or it goes bad & they don't make a dime from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  Is it? I keep hearing people say that, but the better I eat the less money I seem to spend on food & vice versa. But I guess some cats are going to Whole Foods to pay $8 for a lb of grapes & buying $2 tomatoes so their mileage may vary.

Back when I was in NY I'd go to the Farmers Market & get a sh^tton of food, like I'd just max out at what I could carry without dropping a bag, for like $20 or $30. Now here in Vegas there are a bunch of Mexican stores that got great produce that I can get virtually the same value for my dollar as the Farmers Market.

I'd guess there are inexpensive means to good food almost everywhere in the US. And there are strategies to get better food for cheap to not unlike coupons for the bad food. At Farmers Markets if you go there close to closing time you can usually get 50%+ more value cuz guys are letting sh^t go at a deep discount so they don't gotta load it back up to their truck &/or it goes bad & they don't make a dime from it.
                  Farmers Market by me is open on weekend and prices have gone up. there are some a short drive away but its tough to go after work with everything. Weekends are tough because kids have a ton of stuff.

We have 2 kids-9 and 11, and we try to eat as healthy as possible. My wife and I make well above average and find it expensive. I can't imagine how a family with less resources and another mouth to feed would find find it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    This is reasonable and makes sense. WHat is sad is that eating healthy in America is ridiculously expensive.
                    no.

salads, fruits, etc. is not expensive. way cheaper than a 10 piece meal at kfc.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                      Farmers Market by me is open on weekend and prices have gone up. there are some a short drive away but its tough to go after work with everything. Weekends are tough because kids have a ton of stuff.

We have 2 kids-9 and 11, and we try to eat as healthy as possible. My wife and I make well above average and find it expensive. I can't imagine how a family with less resources and another mouth to feed would find find it.
                      You shopping at a Whole Foods or similar place when you don't go to the Farmers Market?

But yea with 2 growing kids I'm sure you are spending a nice % on food in general, healthy or nah.

Comment

Working...
                      X