Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Paul Willians be no.1 in the Welterweight had he fought like Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yngwie View Post
    Williams didn't had that kind of speed or power, let alone accuracy, technique, skill, punch selection and explosiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
      No. Hearns was never the #1 WW. He was always behind Leonard. They were close, but SRL was just the better guy.

Paul could've fought like Hearns he'd IMO still be behind Floyd. No knock on Paul.
      years ago, paul Williams, when it came to Floyd mayweather, was quickly put into the high risk, no reward category, while Floyd sipped on mint julep, on "vacation" from boxing....these days, the Floyd boys just say, oh, Floyd would have beat him anyway...what a difference, a days makes...lol

Comment

Manny Steward could've trained him to fight sort of like a little Wlad, but with higher punching volume. I would've loved to see him popping Mayweather with jabs from across the ring.

Comment

Too many Paul Williams threads

Comment

Yup, I'll join the chorus. He was tall and black, but he couldn't fight like the MC Cobra, because he lacked Hearns' talent.

Hell, just the power differential. Hearns to me defied physics. Never understood how he could generate such incredible power from looping punches. PWill never had that kind of power.

I respect PWill a lot. Threw lots of punches. But he didn't have Hearns' skill either. I mean that second fight w/ Maravilla, from a minute of action, Steward actually called what would happen. Maravilla was going to counter the hell out of PWill.

Comment

It would be great if PWill could have used his range, but maybe he just didn't have the feet, or boxing skill for it. Hard to say, that was my complaint about him too, although I preferred watching his all action style.

Comment

Lol at the fans on this site that say floyd ducked paul williams lmaoooo i always laugh at that one

Comment

He has great height and reach like Hearns but he isn't Hearns. He doesn't have Hearn's boxing skills and punching accuracy. He doesn't have Hearn's punching power and hand and foot speed. He just wasn't good enough to be the number 1 welterweight no matter what fighting style he used.Having great height and reach for your weight class doesn't make a boxer a sure winner. If it did then boxers of average height and reach for their weight class would never be the best in their division. In reality boxers of average height and reach for their weight class usually are the best in their division. Ward. Kovalev, Rigo, Loma, GGG, Spence, Thurman, D. Garcia, M. Garcia and many more outstanding champions all have normal height and reach.

Comment

That's not what made Paul Williams Paul Williams, so I'll say no. Volume, volume, volume was his game and that's what won him a lot of fights. Could he have switched it up a bit throughout fights? Sure. But throwing 1000 punches a fight was what he did

Comment

IF he had skills of Hearns, yes, he would.

Floyd is/was no Sugar Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                      X