The night the Fitzsimmons shift went low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The night the Fitzsimmons shift went low

San Francisco, Mechanics Pavilion, 1896

In the fall of 1896 the most talked about event about the city was the upcoming Robert Fitzsimmons – Tom Sharkey face off, with (one time Federal Marshal) Wyatt Earp serving as third man.

All week long rumors swirled about the city that the ‘fix was in’ and before the fight Marshal Earp felt obliged to address the crowd and declare his intentions to “call things as I see them, and not as someone else may want them called.” What Wyatt Earp could never have imagined was how prophetic his words were about to become.

In the eighth round of the fray Ruby Rob landed a hard uppercut to Sailor Tom’s jaw and followed it up with his infamous solar plexus punch (aka the Fitzsimmons shift), which landed profoundly low. Sharkey withering in pain, fell face first to the canvas and fainted. The Sailor’s seconds removed him from the ring while he was still unconscious.

Side Note: Not until 1930 was it legal to wear protective gear below the waist; before then it was considered unsportsmanlike and would encourage dirty tactics (so they thought).

Back in the dressing room an examination, by a physician, of the Sailor’s testicles, as witnessed by Marshal Wyatt Earp, confirmed the low blow to the groin, and the famed Marshal stayed true to his promise and did indeed call it as he saw 'them,’ awarding the fight to Sharkey on disqualification; turning over the $10,000 prize money (a certified check) to Sharkey’ seconds.

The crowd, (and the newspapers) not privy to the very personal examination of Sailor Tom’s balls, hotly criticized the decision.

Fitzsimons’s manager obtained a court injunction preventing Sharkey from cashing the prize money check, charging that Earp’s decision had been ‘determined in advanced.’ A San Francisco newspaper, whose owner purportedly had lost $20,000 on a Fitzsimmons’s wager, printed a scathing attack on Marshal Earp’s character.

Three days later a compromise was finally reached when a team of six different physicians, three of which were chosen by Fitzsimmons’s people, reconfirmed, with yet another very personal examination of Sailor Tom, that Sharkey had indeed suffered genital trauma. (The fact that the trauma was still visible after three days suggests one hell of a low blow.)

Sharkey’s people cashed the check and the San Francisco newspaper printed a retraction restoring the ‘famed’ (and by many accounts very crooked) Marshal’s reputation.

For those unfamiliar with the Fitzsimmons Shift:

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      For those unfamiliar with the Fitzsimmons Shift:

Is that you in the video?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        LOL.

No, it's not. Just an interesting thing I came across when researching shifting.

Comment

The shift is something I do practice. I prefer it with the hundred pound grain sacks attached to my wrists as I have mentioned, but to each their own, since everyone is not as powerful as yours truly. One of the few men I know of probably stronger than myself was Angus McKaskill. I often punch tackling dummies. When I have punched one all the way around the perimeter of the football field twice, I usually call it a workout. This ain't bad for wearing the grain sacks on each wrist. It would be hard to move those dummies without the weights, though.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            It might suprise people to know that there are more than a few martial arts guys who follow boxing as a survival art. These individuals, quite a few of them like the older tricks of the trade. Kid McCoy is another fighter that gets a lot of press... and of course Dempsey.

There are some notable differences for sure. But what looks absurd to some is actually technical detail to another. For example, the uppercut could be thrown, with smaller gloves and from the back foot, like an extended lead...something Corbett was showing to Tunney. It looks like a really bad uppercut lol, but its legit because the power comes from the legs springing.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
              It might suprise people to know that there are more than a few martial arts guys who follow boxing as a survival art. These individuals, quite a few of them like the older tricks of the trade. Kid McCoy is another fighter that gets a lot of press... and of course Dempsey.

There are some notable differences for sure. But what looks absurd to some is actually technical detail to another. For example, the uppercut could be thrown, with smaller gloves and from the back foot, like an extended lead...something Corbett was showing to Tunney. It looks like a really bad uppercut lol, but its legit because the power comes from the legs springing.
              I love the details. I believe I have seen the same clip, if you are referring to one of Tunney and Corbett.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                LOL.

No, it's not. Just an interesting thing I came across when researching shifting.
                I was about to request you to do a few moves on Zelenoff for kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                  I love the details. I believe I have seen the same clip, if you are referring to one of Tunney and Corbett.
                  Yeah Lefty thats the one

Comment

Working...
                  X