No announcement yet.

Rewatched the fight. Ward was the better man. Disappointed in Kovalev

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewatched the fight. Ward was the better man. Disappointed in Kovalev

Ok guys I have to keep it real. Ward really impressed me and I never thought I would say that as I've always been an ardent hater of Ward (due to his style NOT any other reason). I still believe Kovalev was the better man in the first fight, but in this fight Ward had him beat in many respects.

Ward's renewed right hand, body punching (apart from the low blows and kidney punches), upper body movement, superior conditioning and punch variety is what sealed the deal and differentiated him from Kovalev this time.

As well as that, I believe Ward has acclimated more to 175, his body looked less blown up and artificially built up to the weight, he was a lean, legit 175 pounder this time around.

I was disappointed with Kovalev's poor conditioning, lack of punch variety (where were the uppercuts like the first fight?), lack of body punching (because he had success in this fight and the last with his body attacks), and predictable 1,2, stab jab to the body. Also team Ward were clearly correct about Kov's bad habits. In the pre fight press conference he looked fat, and I feel like he lost too much weight too fast during camp. He didn't look strong or well conditioned at all.

What impressed me about Ward this time around:

Commitment to the body attack. - Ward knew this was Kov's weakness going into the fight and he didn't relent. Yes there were some low blows I didn't like, as well as kidney shots. Yes Ward could have arguably had points docked. And yes the stoppage came to soon, but on the whole, Ward's body work was the key for him, he recognised it and didn't stop digging to the body. Ultimately weakening Kovalev and getting the knockout.

Chin - Ward proved his chin in this fight and the last.

Punch variety - I like how Ward switched it up in this fight, coming out with a quick, whipping left hook and a straight right.

Right hand - Many have lamented Ward's lack of a right hand since his comeback, it was barely thrown in the first Kov fight, yet he landed multiple sharp stinging right hands in this fight, one of which staggered Kov bad.

Speed - Ward looked faster in this fight, maybe because he's better accustomed to the new weight.

Ward was sharp, best I've seen him in a while.

Originally posted by Hype Job View Post
    Ok guys I have to keep it real. Ward really impressed me and I never thought I would say that as I've always been an ardent hater of Ward (due to his style NOT any other reason). I still believe Kovalev was the better man in the first fight, but in this fight Ward had him beat in many respects.

Ward's renewed right hand, body punching (apart from the low blows and kidney punches), upper body movement, superior conditioning and punch variety is what sealed the deal and differentiated him from Kovalev this time.

As well as that, I believe Ward has acclimated more to 175, his body looked less blown up and artificially built up to the weight, he was a lean, legit 175 pounder this time around.

I was disappointed with Kovalev's poor conditioning, lack of punch variety (where were the uppercuts like the first fight?), lack of body punching (because he had success in this fight and the last with his body attacks), and predictable 1,2, stab jab to the body. Also team Ward were clearly correct about Kov's bad habits. In the pre fight press conference he looked fat, and I feel like he lost too much weight too fast during camp. He didn't look strong or well conditioned at all.

Commitment to the body attack. - Ward knew this was Kov's weakness going into the fight and he didn't relent. Yes there were some low blows I didn't like, as well as kidney shots. Yes Ward could have arguably had points docked. And yes the stoppage came to soon, but on the whole, Ward's body work was the key for him, he recognised it and didn't stop digging to the body. Ultimately weakening Kovalev and getting the knockout.

Punch variety - I like how Ward switched it up in this fight, coming out with a quick, whipping left hook and a straight right.

Right hand - Many have lamented Ward's lack of a right hand since his comeback, it was barely thrown in the first Kov fight, yet he landed multiple sharp stinging right hands in this fight, one of which staggered Kov bad.

Speed - Ward looked faster in this fight, maybe because he's better accustomed to the new weight.

Thats what i was wondering in this fight as well, especially when Ward leaned down. Just 1 2's for this fight.

Comment

I'll have to green you when I get a chance

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post
        Thats what i was wondering in this fight as well, especially when Ward leaned down. Just 1 2's for this fight.
        Kov was too predictable.

Comment

Kov was too predictable.
          Kovalev trained to fight a left handed fighter.

Ward showed up fighting right handed...with power.

Comment

Well said, thought Kovalev won the first too but can't say the same about this rematch. The ref was weak doe.

Comment

Kov was too predictable.
              Crazy thing is it was still even fight. I dont know if Kov is that good or ward was not what people made him out to be. But i wanna see these two fight Adonis or any new comers coming up to LHW. It seems to be getting good now. Before it was only Kov, Adonis and 50 year old Hopkins with belts.

Comment

I scored the first fight to Kovalev. Ward definitely upped his game this time though. Deserved winner and defo the P4P #1 fighter in the world.

I dislike Ward, but credit where it's due.

Comment

Ward was definitely the better man, much sharper than the first fight shame he had to end it with low blows.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                    Ward was definitely the better man, much sharper than the first fight shame he had to end it with low blows.
                    I agree. Kov also needs to have his trunks tailored so they fit above the navel. Like they're supposed to.

Comment

Working...
                    X