Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the best boxer with the least amount of athletecism?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlos Monzon

Comment

I can only speak from personal experience being around these fighters in camp.

And of course a lot of heavyweights are not very athletic but one all time great in Lennox Lewis was so lacking in athletic ability it was shocking.

He couldn’t run fast, or jump and he was not very coordinated. I remember him and his one of his friends from Canada trying to dance to some reggae music and I thought he was joking the way he was flailing away but nope he was serious, but man could he fight.

And on the flip side one of the most athletic fighter I have ever seen at heavyweight was Ike Ibeabuchi, he could of been a starting middle linebacker in the NFL, he was a freak athlete.

Comment

Srisaket Sor Rungsvai is at the top of the list for me

Mikey Garcia is a great shout.

I'd say Kovalev could be mentioned as well.

Comment

Luis Ortiz looks as uncoordinated as anyone I've ever seen

Comment

Probably Charlie Z

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
              I didn't read your whole post but I'm going to say Big Baby "I love hamburgers" Jarrell Miller
              The fat man is actually very athletic....

Comment

Rocky Marciano the guy was so clumsy they invented that rope at the ankles to keep the feet balanced

Comment

Obviously tony bellew he got a fuccin beer belly for fux sake

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    hopkins was athletic when he was younger. not fair to judge a guy's athleticism when he is 40, is it?

not as athletic as many of the all time greats, which he is himself, but the guy wasn't a plebeian athlete by any stretch. always had solid power, great reflexes, good upper body movement and very decent footspeed and handspeed. two examples of things hopkins did that less athletic fighters didn't were put punches together when he countered, and fought from the pocket. you need to be able to move and think quickly, punch with accuracy, and an unathletic fighter just can't do that at a high level.

here's a young[ish] hopkins. not a bad athlete, is he?
                    Personally I don't think Hopkins stood out from an athletic stand point. I'd say he was above average at best.

He wasn't a big puncher at all. He had some pop on his shots and would stop guys easily at a lower level but once he was at world class level he usually had to grind guys down. He fought many guys who hit harder, RJJ, Tito, Eastman, Taylor, Pavlik, Pascal etc.

He wasn't particularly quick either, plenty of guys he fought had faster hands than him. Dawson, Taylor, RJJ, Pascal, Calzaghe, Tito, De La Hoya, even Joppy and Allen had quicker hands.

Hopkins just looks faster than he really is because of his superior technique. He doesn't telegraph punches and disguises them well, so they are hard to see coming, as they are so sneaky. They are technically sound too, so they travel the minimal distance with no wasted movement.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
                      Someone who only got by with his boxing skills. No quick footwork, no Special anything.

Should that guy be the one to learn fundamentals from?
                      Butterbean

Comment

Working...
                      X