• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franks Shamrock on Randy Couture

FRANK SHAMROCK ON RANDY COUTURE

Q&A with a Legend about a Legend

By Mary Van Note

MV: It's huge news all over the internet and I'd love to hear you weigh-in on the subject. Was this a smart move for Couture?
    FS: This was the smartest move that Randy Couture could have made at this point in his career. At his age, and with the level of athletes growing in the sport, he was smart to get out. Also with the UFC only focusing on their brand and not the talent, his growth was always limited in that show.

MV: What other opportunities does he have to fight in MMA while not with Zuffa's Pride or UFC?
    FS: Randy Couture is a movie star and a household name. He is a martial artist of the highest caliber. He has diversified into everything from books, movies, shavers, clothing lines, and other endorsements. I don’t think he will ever fight again nor does he need to.

MV: What do you know about his allegations that he was most likely not paid as well or as much as other top fighters like Silva and Lidell?
    FS: I am sure that they are true. The UFC is only concerned about their brand, not the sport of MMA. It took them years to realize that Randy was an American hero. It took MMA about 5 minutes.

MV: How does this affect MMA in general? And specifically the brand of UFC?
    FS: It hurts the UFC big-time; more than when I left the sport as they have no stars in their shows now. The last is Liddell and his life span is short.
    MMA will be fine as the new fans don’t know about the sport or its history anyways.

MV: Any chance you would fight Couture?
    FS: Would love to have him kick my butt. I have trained with him many times and he is the real deal.

MV: I see similarities with your career with Couture's. He left the UFC at the peak of his career for "hollywood." Any thoughts?
    FS: He is smart and the jig is up with the UFC. The threats from Dana and his ******ed business practices are catching up with the company. The truth always comes out and there it is. This sport is about the martial way not his way.

MV: What is the future of MMA?
    FS: Frank Shamrock.

MV: What is the UFC doing wrong... to lose their top talent?
    FS: “U Fight Cheap” is their moniker. MMA is about the incredible people who do it, not the company that shows it. Stars drive the sport, not Dana. He is an idiot who should go back to managing a gym where he came from and quit messing up our beautiful art form.

Finally for all the new fans, do some research on MMA and the sport. Don’t believe what they sell you on TV and PPV. This sport is amazing with some real history that should be appreciated. The UFC makes their own history up for money. Don’t be a follower be a fanatic!

FrankShamrock.com
    ShamrockMartialArts.com
    MMAStars.com

Good **** from Frank. He knows his ****, once you get past the cociness. I especially liked these parts (the bold particularly):

FS: ...with the UFC only focusing on their brand and not the talent, his growth was always limited in that show.

FS: The UFC is only concerned about their brand, not the sport of MMA. It took them years to realize that Randy was an American hero. It took MMA about 5 minutes.

MV: How does this affect MMA in general? And specifically the brand of UFC?
    FS: It hurts the UFC big-time (...) as they have no stars in their shows now. The last is Liddell and his life span is short.
    MMA will be fine as the new fans don’t know about the sport or its history anyways.

FS: He is smart and the jig is up with the UFC. The threats from Dana and his ******ed business practices are catching up with the company. The truth always comes out and there it is. This sport is about the martial way not his way.

FS: “U Fight Cheap” is their moniker. MMA is about the incredible people who do it, not the company that shows it. Stars drive the sport, not Dana. He is an idiot who should go back to managing a gym where he came from and quit messing up our beautiful art form.

UFC= U Fight Cheap, LMAO.

Comment

yeah the U fight cheap was awsome lol.

Comment

I agree w/ what Shamrock has tagged the UFC as in U Fight Cheap(also questioning their business practices). But what are the other options for aspiring MMA fighters, includding the stars of the UFC. Where else are they gonna go? Can they say that WEC offers the same
        financial package. Can they say that the IFL offers the same financial package.

There's no other MMA outlet that competes with the UFC. There was Pride, who for some time had the upper hand, but Dana and the boyz just bought them out.

U Fight Cheap, isn't so cheap when you compare it with the other MMA promotional companies

Comment

"FS: “U Fight Cheap” is their moniker. MMA is about the incredible people who do it, not the company that shows it. Stars drive the sport, not Dana. He is an idiot who should go back to managing a gym where he came from and quit messing up our beautiful art form."

The best line ever!!

Comment

This dude Shamrock got his name from the UFC...no one cares about you if you're not in the UFC....period. You think Fedor gonna do well without the UFC? Yeah okay....The UFC made Couture, Shamrock, Liddell, Rampage, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by FightNight 2007 View Post
              This dude Shamrock got his name from the UFC...no one cares about you if you're not in the UFC....period. You think Fedor gonna do well without the UFC? Yeah okay....The UFC made Couture, Shamrock, Liddell, Rampage, etc....
              The hulkamaniacs made shamrock brother!

Comment

Working...
              X