Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Spinks one of most underrated fighters.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Right, I never said they were and your post never mentioned anything about Spinks being Champ either, you just said he was only 175 pdr to beat the real heavyweight champ
    Well my bad then(not using champ for spinks) but I knew u did not say there were champs I was just pointing it out.

Comment

And only one reason I gave for him being ATG

Comment

I agree with this post entirely. The mike Tyson that spinks fought was at his brutal best that night and would be difficult for any HW of all time to beat.

Comment

Tyson wasn't going to lose that night against anybody. It was one of his nights and one of his best (and probably only real) training camps.
          I thought Holmes beat Spinks pretty clearly in one of the fights, but I can't remember if it was the rematch or the first one.

He was timid against Tyson. I know he's a boxer, and I know when there's a widely embraced opinion we have to have people argue against it, but I think it's true. He was frightened. Didn't he throw out the IBF title just to get away from him?

Comment

Originally posted by redmish View Post
            I agree with this post entirely. The mike Tyson that spinks fought was at his brutal best that night and would be difficult for any HW of all time to beat.
            Yea and Spinks was already past it a bit(bad knee's)

Comment

Originally posted by sparkz2112 View Post
              Tyson wasn't going to lose that night against anybody. It was one of his nights and one of his best (and probably only real) training camps.
              I thought Holmes beat Spinks pretty clearly in one of the fights, but I can't remember if it was the rematch or the first one.

He was timid against Tyson. I know he's a boxer, and I know when there's a widely embraced opinion we have to have people argue against it, but I think it's true. He was frightened. Didn't he throw out the IBF title just to get away from him?
              No he gave up IBF so he could fight Cooney instead of Tucker for a lot more$.And he fought Tyson pretty close after tourney.And it was 2nd fight that was debateable.(I Had Spinks up by 1)And I could not disagree more about him being scared.Really watch how he fights even after KD he COMES to Tyson and try catching him with THE JINX(overhand right).But Mike hits him 1st

Comment

As a light heavy he was top notch, as a heavy he got lucky, out hustled an aging Holmes and didn't die in his match with Tyson.

He fought well and bravely in just about all of his fights, but you're wrong about fighting scared against Tyson, he was fearing for his life, and although he was still throwing went he went down, he was just trying to survive through the whole bout.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
                  As a light heavy he was top notch, as a heavy he got lucky, out hustled an aging Holmes and didn't die in his match with Tyson.

He fought well and bravely in just about all of his fights, but you're wrong about fighting scared against Tyson, he was fearing for his life, and although he was still throwing went he went down, he was just trying to survive through the whole bout.
                  I agree with you on him being great and even being lucky with his timing with Holmes. But he was not scared imo I think it just got started by reporter and now everyone just drinks the kool aid

Comment

Originally posted by john l View Post
                    No he gave up IBF so he could fight Cooney instead of Tucker for a lot more$.And he fought Tyson pretty close after tourney.And it was 2nd fight that was debateable.(I Had Spinks up by 1)And I could not disagree more about him being scared.Really watch how he fights even after KD he COMES to Tyson and try catching him with THE JINX(overhand right).But Mike hits him 1st
                    I used to box, and I'm not pulling that "only I get it!" card, lol! You may be right, maybe he wasn't scared, but I don't think it has to do with that overhand right. Fighters do that when they're desperate and the other guy is wild, so I think he was just hoping that he would get him with it.

I forgot about the Tucker thing, I think they were doing a unification tournament and Spinks probably wanted to cash out and knew he would get the winner. Would've been nice to see Spinks against Evander back then, no?

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post

Trying to survive? Just watch the last 15 sec at least he gets KD and whats he do??? Run no,try and hold no.He goes for win!I think he knew with his knee's that he was not gonna be able to move in and out(like he fought at heavy) all night and only chance was to try and catch Tyson while he was punching.And he did not just lay down(like Douglas) his eyes rolled back in head.they were all white at one point.

Comment

Working...
                      X