No announcement yet.

I Don't Believe It, But It's True: A Year In Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Don't Believe It, But It's True: A Year In Boxing

I was in Borders today and saw a copy of Thomas Hauser's I Don't Believe It, But It's True: A Year In Boxing by Thomas Hauser so I picked it up. The funny thing here is that I was just going to post a thread on another book of his which I recently read called Chaos, Corruption, Courage and Glory. Both books are essays on boxing. Chaos covers events from August 2003 to September 2004 and I Don't Believe It covers the time after that book going through 2005.
    The essays cover such topics as Joe Mesi's medical issues to less than noble business practices in how ESPN books fights for Friday Night Fights with profiles on Al Bernstein and Michael Buffer. There are so many good essays that its hard to pick the best ones but I just finished the profile spotlighting the week building up to the first Taylor-Hopkins fight called The Changing Of The Guard.
    I always consider it the sign of a great book if I can read it fast (and not because I put it down because of boredom). In this case, I Don't Believe It fits that criteria as I bought it today and I'm already on page 82. There is a quote by Jmi Lampley on the back of the book, "There are two kinds of people in boxing. Those who say, "Oh, boy, Tom Hauser is writing an article about me", and those who say, "Big problem, Tom Hauser is writing an article about me."
    That about sums it up. I don't agree with everything he says but his writing is impressive and his essays never fail to expand my knowledge about the subject they cover.

Hauser is my favorite boxing related author.He keeps his articles interesting without getting too philsophical like some other boxing scribes.I also have the chaos/corruption book.It's a good read!I'll have to pick up a year in boxing.It sounds good.Have you ever read Bert Sugars book 'The 100 greatest fighters'?

Comment

I am reading thomas hausers book muhammad ali:his life and times at the moment. It is very well written and a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by Mass Pride
        Hauser is my favorite boxing related author.He keeps his articles interesting without getting too philsophical like some other boxing scribes.I also have the chaos/corruption book.It's a good read!I'll have to pick up a year in boxing.It sounds good.Have you ever read Bert Sugars book 'The 100 greatest fighters'?
        No, actually I didn't read the Bert Sugar book but I have flipped through it in the store. One of these days I'll probably get around to buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Raging Bull
          I am reading thomas hausers book muhammad ali:his life and times at the moment. It is very well written and a great read.
          I read that one years ago, I actually found it in the bargain section of a bookstore for something like $3. It is a great read, I learned alot about Ali and I liked how Hauser interviewed a wide range of people for it.

Comment

Working...
          X