Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Doesn't Andre Ward Get Praised for His Courageous Effort Against The Krusher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Doesn't Andre Ward Get Praised for His Courageous Effort Against The Krusher?

In between rounds 2 and 3, in an attempt to uplift his wounded fighter, the great Virgil Hunter used his exceptional motivational skills to get his fighter back on track. "Robinson got up, Ali got up, Leonard got up..now YOU got up"

Getting up off the canvas and finishing a fight courageously is something that has generated praise among the boxing public for centuries. We saw Juan Manuel Marquez get up off the canvas 3 times in the first round against Manny Pacquiao and fight his way to a draw (although some felt he won). We've seen Naseem Hamed get up off the canvas against Kevin Kelley 3 times and score a KO. Frazier was knocked down several times before being stopped against Foreman. Hearns was knocked down several times before being KO'd against Hagler.

These are just a handful of examples and I purposely included both victories and defeats as you can still show heart and determination; even in defeat.

Against one of the most feared fighters and hardest punchers in boxing, Andre Ward lifted himself off the canvas and fought well enough to bag enough rounds to pull out the victory.

Why isn't Ward getting the same praise for his courageous effort (whether you feel he won or lost) like the great fighters of the past?
    Many Were So Invested in Ward Losing That they are Incapable of Appreciating his Courageous Effort
    33.33%
    Giving Ward Credit Would Take Some Steam Out of Their Cries of Robbery
    29.17%
    Andre Ward Reminds Them of Floyd and They Hate Floyd
    20.83%
    They Are Dumbfounded that Kovalev Couldn't Finish a Wonded Fighter
    16.67%

youre really talking some crap tonight arent you...

Comment

It was an ugly fight I thought he lost but it was close. Now he doesn't want to do a rematch, that's lame.

Kovalev is also very good so I still think Ward's one of the best and I think everyone else agrees with that.

Comment

Because that's what fighters should do?

Comment

well then, maybe kovalev should get praised for his courageous effort against blake caparello. unlike ward, he came back from the knockdown and DEFINITELY won the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
            well then, maybe kovalev should get praised for his courageous effort against blake caparello. unlike ward, he came back from the knockdown and DEFINITELY won the fight.
            Great point. Any fighter that is able to lift himself up off the canvas and fight his way to victory (or even fall short in defeat) is a warrior in my book.

Comment

As a fan of Ward and boxing i'm gonna give my take on this as unbiased as possible.

First of all, Ward fought a killer who fans love, including me. And he's literally a killer, he has killed a boxer before in the ring. Not only is he dangerous but he's obviously very good and highly rated among media and boxing fans. It was a good 50-50 fight coming in that ended up being the 50-50 fight that was expected. Why people crap on Ward for his performance is beyond me, the fight was expected to be close with the winner always being questioned.

Secondly, anti-Ward fans acting as if Ward fights Kovalev again that all of a sudden Ward will be in good graces with them. He won't, he never will, despite having among the best active resumes in boxing.

Lastly, this is my semi anti-Ward comment, he has to stop with the BS of being on the fence of fighting Kovalev again. Honor the contract and don't pull some retirement crap because his fans can't defend that, and anti-Ward fans will just have more ammo against him (they'll always have ammo even if he beats Kovalev, Beterbiev, Stevenson and goes up to CW to collect a title). He needs to do it for his fans, not his critics. He will never please his critics, ever, but he will please his fans. Ward has to understand that he has a lot of fans who want to see him fight Kovalev again and win, not for the chance to see him lose, but to see him win against a very good fighter.

Comment

It was a 50/50 fight, I gave the edge to Ward, but wouldn't have been upset if they gave the fight to Kovalev. Does Kov get praised for going against the almighty "son of God" Ward?

Comment

I think most people thought Ward did pretty good and showed heart and skills.

But most people also thought he lost the fight and most people are sick of him whining about being a victim.

Comment

Same reason many don't give other boxers credit for a fight many thought he lost.

Comment

Working...
                    X