Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matchroom working on fights for next year

Matchroom Boxing working on fights for next year
    Dan Rafael - ESPN

Matchroom Boxing promoter Eddie Hearn was in a talkative mood when we sat down for an interview inside the media center at the MGM Grand during Sergey Kovalev-Andre Ward fight week.

Besides offering updates on the possible Anthony Joshua-Wladimir Klitschko heavyweight mega fight in the works for the spring, the plans for heavyweight contender Luis Ortiz and the prospect of a possible Carl Froch-Gennady Golovkin super fight, the British promoter covered several other topics during our discussion.

* Linares-Crolla II: On Sept. 24, Venezuela’s Jorge Linares (41-3, 27 KOs) won a spirited unanimous decision to take a lightweight world title from Anthony Crolla (31-5-3, 13 KOs) in a terrific fight in Crolla’s hometown of Manchester, England. There was a rematch clause in the contract and Hearn said plans are in the works for the sequel.

“The rematch will happen in March,” Hearn said. “We’re looking at March 25 in Manchester. It’s going to be another good fight.”

Linares reinjured his fragile right hand but Eric Gomez, president of Golden Boy Promotions, Linares’ promoter, confirmed Hearn’s comments to ESPN.

“There’s a rematch clause and we’re willing to do it. Linares will be ready to go back to England and do it again,” Gomez said. “He’ll be ready come March. He’s in (physical) therapy for his hand but he is feeling better, keeping in shape and will be ready. He has no problem going back to England. Linares is a road warrior. They treat him very well in the U.K. They’ve always made him feel welcome there and he likes it there.”

*Brook’s future: After England’s Kell Brook (36-1, 25 KOs) suffered a broken orbit bone and got stopped in the fifth round by unified middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin in September, most figured Brook, who jumped up two weight divisions to challenge him, would eventually vacate his welterweight world title and settle in at junior middleweight.

But Brook recently announced he planned to remain at welterweight and defend the title against extremely dangerous mandatory challenger Errol Spence Jr. (21-0, 18 KOs). Hearn said he was as surprised as anyone by Brook’s decision.

“I spoke to Kell the other day. I went to his house and I said to him, ‘Do you want to move to 154 pounds?’ He said, ‘What about my belt?’ I said, ‘You’d have to vacate.’ He said, ‘I’m not vacating the belt.’ I said, ‘Then you have to box at 147 pounds.’ He said, ‘That’s fine.’ It’s a mission for him to get to 147 but he said he can do it and he can perform without a problem.”

So Hearn said he will look to negotiate the fight with Spence adviser Al Haymon with the hopes of putting it on in April or May. If it goes to a purse bid, Hearn would be in great position to win it because the Brook side gets 75 percent of the money and it’s a much bigger fight in the U.K. than in the United States.

“It’s a pay-per-view fight in the U.K.,” Hearn said. “It’s a great fight. Kell is not the kind of guy to swerve a fight. I said, ‘You’d have to fight Errol Spence.’ He went, ‘Fine.’”

If Hearn had his way he would put together a welterweight unification fight between Brook and Manny Pacquiao. But Hearn said he knows that is unlikely.

“Pacquiao’s going to want a big fight,” Hearn said. “I told Kell, ‘You’re a big fight but you’re not that big fight for him so if we can’t get a unification, you have to fight Errol Spence.’ He said, ‘No problem.’”

*Cleverly-Braehmer II: On Oct. 1, in Neubrandenburg, Germany, Wales’ Nathan Cleverly (30-3, 16 KOs) knocked out Germany’s Juergen Braehmer (48-3 35 KOs) in the sixth round of an upset to claim his secondary light heavyweight title.

Braehmer had a rematch clause and Hearn said he is working with his promoter, Team Sauerland, on the rematch. Hearn said it likely would take place in April in Germany.

*Burns’ future: Before junior welterweight titlist Ricky Burns (41-5-1, 14 KOs), of Scotland, retained his title by unanimous decision against mandatory challenger Kiryl Relikh on Oct. 7, there was much discussion that if Burns won, he would next take on former titleholder Adrien Broner. Hearn brought it up, Burns and Broner did also.

But then a few weeks ago, it was announced that Broner would instead headline a Showtime card against Adrian Granados on Feb. 11 with no mention of a Burns fight. Hearn said he is still hopeful he can put it together with Haymon, Broner’s adviser.

“We wanted Broner but he’s going to fight Granados,” Hearn said. “They talk about Broner in June. But (Haymon wants) us to fight Rances Barthelemy, which is a tough fight.”

Barthelemy (25-0, 13 KOs) is a former lightweight world titlist and current junior welterweight contender with the kind of skills that would likely be a big problem for Burns. Hearn said he was not sure yet which direction Burns would go in.

Brook spence ppv fight in the uk lol damn. Burns better not duck rances

Comment

I hope Brook/Spence is in Sheffield

2017 is going to be an interesting year for UK boxing

can't wait for Haye/Bellew as well

Comment

I'm so confidant in UK Boxing. I believe Matchroom can replace its stars with new ones when this stable disappears. I get some of the criticisms of Eddie.. but boxing would be in a sorry state without his contributions.

Comment

If Luis Ortiz struggles with Dave Allen, he'll be going in against Femi Joshua next year.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
            Brook spence ppv fight in the uk lol damn. Burns better not duck rances
            I can see why tbh.

Our PPV cost under £20 and bringing any sort of name American is going to cost a lot. Even Vargas wanted £2 million pounds.

Even as a mandatory for that fight to happen here they will have to pay Spence a lot. I am not buying it that Spence is just that good that he wouldn't be chasing a big pay day because it wouldn't even be the shock of the day if Brook beat him.

On another point - Luke Campbell (Hearn) apparently turned down a shot at Terry Flanagan. That's a head scratcher. We might be going down the route of struggling to make fights because of BT/Skysports like the Americans have issues with their networks. Surely, Campbell would take that in a heart beat - he hasn't really set the world on fire as a pro is turning 30 soon and there are no guarantees he'll be able to work his way up to a mandatory spot. That and he has a big following and he would get paid well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
              I can see why tbh.

Our PPV cost under £20 and bringing any sort of name American is going to cost a lot. Even Vargas wanted £2 million pounds.

Even as a mandatory for that fight to happen here they will have to pay Spence a lot. I am not buying it that Spence is just that good that he wouldn't be chasing a big pay day because it wouldn't even be the shock of the day if Brook beat him.

On another point - Luke Campbell (Hearn) apparently turned down a shot at Terry Flanagan. That's a head scratcher. We might be going down the route of struggling to make fights because of BT/Skysports like the Americans have issues with their networks. Surely, Campbell would take that in a heart beat - he hasn't really set the world on fire as a pro is turning 30 soon and there are no guarantees he'll be able to work his way up to a mandatory spot. That and he has a big following and he would get paid well.
              That is surprising. As you said, i wonder if that is due to a problem arising with the tv networks. A shame that.

Comment

Working...
              X