Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 09-21-2018, 01:14 PM #1
Amateur

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
KrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these partsKrnxMan86 is infamous around these parts
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 6,049.00
Unhappy Conflicted over whether to try boxing again?

At the start of this year I joined my nearest boxing gym attending boxfit sessions 3 times a week, intending to learn to box and compete.

After a couple of months, I was finally told that to learn how to actually box, I had to attend sparring sessions that were held after the boxfit, however the gym turned out to be very negligent as they expected me to spar without any training whatsoever. The second session I attended I came down with a concussion after I got home and had to spend the night in A+E.

I decided not to spar again due to this bad experience, though I still attend boxfit at least once a week. The gym have since changed the way they do things, the sparring sessions are now referred to as "Learn to Box" and they spend that class doing padwork and technique now, obviously worried they're going to get into trouble after what happened to me.

Part of me still wants to compete in the amateurs. But I don't want to relive the bad experience I had. I feel that me suffering a concussion was due to absorbing 80% of my opponents punches since I didn't really know what I was doing.
However if I were to start this time, I'd be under proper training and direction.

One of the problems is that I have ADHD, and I feel that it has been slightly worse since the concussion, and I don't want to be rendered unable to focus.

Having considered all of this, would it still be a good idea for me to compete in the ams (I'm not trying to turn pro or anything)?
I'm 21 years old and I would train hard, regularly if I thought I could be good (I'll be ditching the weights this time which just got in the way last time).
KrnxMan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM #2
Amateur

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
alduraji is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 6,017.00

so you expect to become an amateur and not take a hit?

good luck.
alduraji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM #3
Contender

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
tcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond reputetcbender has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 6,899.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
At the start of this year I joined my nearest boxing gym attending boxfit sessions 3 times a week, intending to learn to box and compete.

After a couple of months, I was finally told that to learn how to actually box, I had to attend sparring sessions that were held after the boxfit, however the gym turned out to be very negligent as they expected me to spar without any training whatsoever. The second session I attended I came down with a concussion after I got home and had to spend the night in A+E.

I decided not to spar again due to this bad experience, though I still attend boxfit at least once a week. The gym have since changed the way they do things, the sparring sessions are now referred to as "Learn to Box" and they spend that class doing padwork and technique now, obviously worried they're going to get into trouble after what happened to me.

Part of me still wants to compete in the amateurs. But I don't want to relive the bad experience I had. I feel that me suffering a concussion was due to absorbing 80% of my opponents punches since I didn't really know what I was doing.
However if I were to start this time, I'd be under proper training and direction.

One of the problems is that I have ADHD, and I feel that it has been slightly worse since the concussion, and I don't want to be rendered unable to focus.

Having considered all of this, would it still be a good idea for me to compete in the ams (I'm not trying to turn pro or anything)?
I'm 21 years old and I would train hard, regularly if I thought I could be good (I'll be ditching the weights this time which just got in the way last time).
Make sure you're all healed up from the concussion. How long has it been?

Then find a new gym. This isn't the place to learn to spar/fight. I sparred for the first time after training for 3 days (although it came very naturally to me and I wanted to spar as I'm a hands on learner). The guys def didn't take it easy on me (I had no control over my own power and am heavy handed, so I'm sure that attributed to that), but they probably should have. Sounds like they weren't doing you a favor by not having an experience sparring partner to help guide you into sparring as opposed to having some dude use you as a human punching bag in there.

If you are still suffering concussion symptoms then prob best to not spar, and maybe you just don't have a chin either. But having good defense, head movement/blocking are key.
tcbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:18 AM #4
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3753 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 19,781.66
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:

What did you end up doing?
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 03:08 AM #5
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 23,180.57
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:

It's your mind, your life....Rockin'
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:16 AM #6
Interim Champion

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
HeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond reputeHeadBodyBodyBody has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 8,090.28

Ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must", then build your life in accordance with this necessity; your whole life, even into its humblest and most indifferent hour, must become a sign and witness to this impulse.
HeadBodyBodyBody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:29 PM #7
Up and Comer

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Le_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond reputeLe_Grand has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,015.08
Total Points: 6,445.39

Take the right precautions and give it all you've got. Train significantly before sparring so you know what you're doing and can minimally defend yourself. Best of luck, man!
Le_Grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:42 PM #8
Amateur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
markyod is on a distinguished road
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 6,192.08

Your fault not the gyms, ask your sparring partners for light work and tell them you're a beginner, if not expect people to try and take your head off.

Last edited by markyod; 10-27-2018 at 02:37 PM.
markyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:32 PM #9
SRR by Triangle Theory

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Rockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond reputeRockin' has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 23,180.57
Happy 10k darling! :kiss: - *Boss Lady* 10k posts - ??? Happy birthday Rockin' - dan_cov happy birthday - TBear You are one of the best posters here. - I'm so sorry 
Great post on crime statistics. It's truly a disturbing trend. - thuggery for keepin it real in the training lounge , your the man rockin. - HUGH JASS For beating the stuffing out of master chef - lparm how do u give someone a good rep? cant figure it out - bigpauly To a fighting Man - Weltz 
One of the great posters - jas Merry Cristmas Rockin' - TBear :) - Salim_Shady Thank you for bumping the Rockin' story thread, I would have otherwise never seen it and I really enjoyed reading it. - Tyler_Durden Icon says it all - jazluvr 
Happy hoidays - jazluvr Thanks for the green! - GhostofDempsey Cheers! - Shontae De'marc Thanks! - GhostofDempsey What a faggot, deleting your posts and snitching on users. Gtfo this forum btch - lfc19titles 
Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - mangler World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jazluvr Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Talisayen AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - ??? Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - TBear 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - TBear Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - jose830 Childhood Cancer - bigpauly World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -jose- Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Grand View Post
Take the right precautions and give it all you've got. Train significantly before sparring so you know what you're doing and can minimally defend yourself. Best of luck, man!
He will only learn boxing by getting in there and seeing what works for him and what does not. You could work the floor for years, step in to a ring to throw fists and box as if he were severely handicapped. The only way to learn to fight is to fight. End of story....Rockin'
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Rockin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3753 Post(s)
OctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond reputeOctoberRed has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 19,781.66
Long Overdue. For your contribution to NSB. - 1hourRun I concur - jazluvr 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyod View Post
Your fault not the gyms, ask your sparring partners for light work and tell them you're a beginner, if not expect people to try and take your head off.
Exactly, agree with this.
OctoberRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
again?, boxing, conflicted

User Tag List