Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hearn speaks of PBC deals, announcing the signing of "top 5 p4p" fighter tomorrow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
    Saying he has $5-10mil extra a year, thats just nitpicking really. Also says he has a bigger budget per card to what PBC have, probably true.

Edit: Also says DAZN are spending $50mil on marketing
    The extra a year may or may not be true. But overall they probably have the same amount to spend.

He has 16 US shows so yes, per card he should have more to spend. However, is that 50 million out of his 125 per year budget? If so, then he would have roughly 75 million per 16 cards compared to 125 million per ~27-29 cards.

However, one of his selling points was increased activity. That becomes a moot point now with the PBC having as many dates as they do. Haymon by other methods is able to get his fighters more money by co-promoting, selling merchandise, etc so not sure Hearn will even be able to offer his guys more money. PBC had a 50 million budget last year and Haymon was still able to keep his core guys. Now that number more than numbers as does the dates. And they get FAR more exposure fighting on FOX and SHO than they will at a start up streaming service.

And for DAZN to be successful, they didn't need just one or two big names, they needed like 10 or 15. They needed the Charlos, Spence, Wilder, Broner, etc since they don't have rights to the NFL or NBA. Even don't have rights to the MLB or the major soccer leagues. So to get a good number of subscribers, they needed majority of the PBC top names. For now, he just needs to get guys like Usyk/Inoue/etc who are great fighters with no US exposure. Put on good fights and get the hardcores to subscribe. Going to be a rough rough rough opening year though. DAZN won't likely reach a 100k subscribers until year 2 at the earliest.

Comment

Originally posted by DramaShow View Post
      DAZN is a forward thinking enterprise. a few years ago people wouldnt have predicted the success of netflix and amazon prime, now they are making other traditional channels redundant. when exciting sporting events are shown on there then people will pay and a few quid a month wont seem like much
      The thing is the success of this is based on the quality of fighters they get. And they’ve so far failed to get anyone anyone in the U.S. cares about enough to want to purchase this. They need guys like Pacquiao, Broner, Wilder, Thurman, Spence etc. to sign on.

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
        Usyk going to DAZN would make a ton of sense. Very good signing if true.
        Yea I was thinking Usyk would be a DAZN guy.

Good pickup for sure, but idk that he's helping him all that much in the US is the thing. US boxing has always been about Americans + non-American Latinos & that DAZN roster is lacking in non-American Latinos & the Americans they picked up are guys no one is THAT excited for up til now despite some talent & potential being there.

The only big stars that don't fit that bill in the last ~30 years are Lennox Lewis, Manny Pacquiao & arguably GGG. I say arguably cuz GGG as an A-side hasn't been THAT big of a deal with PPV sh^t despite drawing nice crowds in the US & elsewhere + I kinda feel like he's basically gotten to the level he's gotten at too late to truly capitalize on it like Lewis & Pacquiao did unless GGG gots a lot longer in the game than I expect him to have. I sorta wouldn't be surprised if Canelo II is his last fight win or lose.

So Hearn/DAZN gots there work cut out for them making Usyk a big US boxing draw. I wish US fans would get behind foreign fighters more, but idk that I see it happening anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by ELHITMAN606 View Post
          Lol you actually think Mikey would be that dumb
          You know what is dumb ? Ruining your career by Fighting Spence at Welterweight when there is a mega fight with Lomachenko in your weight class

Comment

Lots of news happening today, Groves/Smith will be on DAZN

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
              The thing is the success of this is based on the quality of fighters they get. And they’ve so far failed to get anyone anyone in the U.S. cares about enough to want to purchase this. They need guys like Pacquiao, Broner, Wilder, Thurman, Spence etc. to sign on.
              its gonna take time man, its not gonna be an overnight thing....

Comment

Originally posted by BIG GUNZ View Post
                I think they get Pacquiao, but the thing with Pacquiao today is he's past his sell by date. Granted he looked good vs Lucas so who knows what he gots left, but above all else I believe boxing is a young mans game & Manny will be 40 in a couple months. There will be some interesting matchups with Brook, Khan & maybe a Horn rematch I imagine if he does sign with Hearn, but idk if there is much beyond that for Pacquiao.

Hearn is in a take what he can get mode right now doe so fair play to him with getting what he's gotten. If all these guys with him now walk away or resign after there 3 fights & got good things to say & show for it those 2nd round of pickups in 12-18mos might be more impressive doe.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckAdonis View Post
                  You know what is dumb ? Ruining your career by Fighting Spence at Welterweight when there is a mega fight with Lomachenko in your weight class
                  Loma vs Mikey sounds like a mega fight for low money for Mikey is the problem.

I'm POSITIVE Mikey wants that fight, but I'm also POSITIVE he's gonna want what he wants for that fight & I'm POSITIVE Arum is looking to lowball Mikey so that fight has a very low chance of happening if you ask me. Much lower then it should have of happening.

The business of boxing gets in the way of the entertainment of boxing far too often.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    I think they get Pacquiao, but the thing with Pacquiao today is he's past his sell by date. Granted he looked good vs Lucas so who knows what he gots left, but above all else I believe boxing is a young mans game & Manny will be 40 in a couple months. There will be some interesting matchups with Brook, Khan & maybe a Horn rematch I imagine if he does sign with Hearn, but idk if there is much beyond that for Pacquiao.

Hearn is in a take what he can get mode right now doe so fair play to him with getting what he's gotten. If all these guys with him now walk away or resign after there 3 fights & got good things to say & show for it those 2nd round of pickups in 12-18mos might be more impressive doe.
                    What are promoters like Golden Boy, K2, Main Events, Zanfer going to do. Sports flush with cash now in the US, and theyve got, $20mil?, to go around.

Comment

Pacquiao still brings in better numbers than most. That would be a good signing for DAZN make no mistake.

But you guys are missing the bigger point. Boxing and MMA isn't making DAZN a success in the long run. They need to obtain rights to other leagues like the NFL or NBA. That is what will attract the subscribers they desperately need.

Comment

Working...
                      X