No announcement yet.

Canelo was a unified WBC/WBA/RING champ when Floyd beat him with over 40 fights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
    He was green. In fact he was green of inexperience, red from hair and grey from dehydration.
    Almost like a Mexican flag

Comment

Originally posted by larry$ View Post
      Making a point, just watch and wait..
      You been making this "point" since 2015. And I'm just going back to 2015 cuz thats the longest I been paying attention.

Comment

Even Floyd would be creeped out by Larry I'm sure. How old are you just out of curiosity? This is beyond a celebrity crush this is worrying.

Canelo never had an amateur career so he had a bunch of soft fights in Mexico thus explaining 40 fights and he won his WBC belt despite weighing in over the limit (vacant title against a Welterweight who'd never been at 154) and the WBA belt he won with a controversial decision over Trout.

He was a unified champion because the WBC and GBP wanted him to be and he was green as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
          so he was a zombie at 152, but three years later still making 154 no problem?

if you look at footage of the weigh in [i was there] you'll see canelo sitting down on a chair on stage. here's andre ward on why he thought canelo looked awful and that it was a big deal.

http://www.boxingscene.com/andre-war...d-weigh--69628

as for two lbs, that's about a quart of water that canelo doens't have to lose. it definitely had an effect. styl;es make fights, and floyd in 2013 would have given canelo problems because of how well he used the ring, his head movement, and his accuracy, but don't discount the weight. it was an issue. the guy's stomach was sucked in and FFS he grabbed a chair and sat down because he had to.

Comment

canelo did have a lot of pro fights, so it's tough to call him "green." but he was young. and his best opponent was austin trout. prior to that he was beaing up the alfonozo gomezes, kermit cintrons, ancient shane mosleys of the world.

Comment

He didn't have experience against top level / prime guys so even the Floyd fight while he did get humiliated I'll give him a slight pass. But since then he's fought better comp and unfortunately an Old Cotto at 28 years old is his best win. If he "THOROUGHLY" beats GGG in the rematch that'll be his crowning achievement. But as it stands for me, when I hear Canelo is still "developing"...nah, Canelo IMO has peaked and really has no new nuances. The question now is how long it'll last.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X