No announcement yet.

Thoughts on 'Exodus: Gods and Kings'?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mooshashi View Post
    Back in the day Miss Saigon was a hit on Broadway. One of the main characters was half Vietnamese and half American. The role was given to a Brit and the Asian community went bonkers. A black actor wrote a piece in the NY Times in which he wrote that at first he was outraged then said to himself "wait a minute ...I'm in Two Gentleman from Verona where I'm playing the part of a fifteenth century Italian! "

Its called ACTING.

The only issue here would be if non whites were not getting roles due to discrimination.
    That's great, but acting is visual entertainment. If I'm seeing something that doesn't make sense then its going to get criticized. I understand we have to suspend our beliefs at times, but all the black actors are slaves/thieves/peasants.

Comment

While Mooshashi enjoys Exodus, I'll go check out "Dear White People"

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
        That's great, but acting is visual entertainment. If I'm seeing something that doesn't make sense then its going to get criticized. I understand we have to suspend our beliefs at times, but all the black actors are slaves/thieves/peasants.
        ???. A Nordic God was played by a black actor in Thor. Same actor plays the lead in Pacific Rim and shags Charlize Theron in Prometheus.

Will Smith. Denzel Washington. Samuel L. Jackson. Wayans Brothers.

Etc.etc.

You had a point up to the 70's....when yes, blacks got few good roles. I can think for example of Woody Strode. But since Sydney Poitier things have changed. Maybe it's not perfect but surely You don't think times are better for minority actors.

Comment

More things for people to cry about. Who cares.

Comment

The trailer looks great. Aside from, of course, the cast skin color doesn't match which I can forgive coz it's just a ****ing movie.

Comment

It's just a movie, about a story that has always cast white actors to play brown people.

I would love to see Denzel Washington starring as John F. Kennedy and see the reaction of those who are saying "It's just a movie".

Comment

White cast for popular Ancient Egyptian figures, and Black cast for thieves, slaves, and low class Egyptians is wrong, point blank. At least admit that's wrong. Don't come with nonsense analogies like "You don't have to be a turtle to play a Ninja Turtle". Please STFU and admit it's wrong of Hollywood to do this type of **** in 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                  It's just a movie, about a story that has always cast white actors to play brown people.

I would love to see Denzel Washington starring as John F. Kennedy and see the reaction of those who are saying "It's just a movie".
                  That movie sounds incredible. I'd pay whatever they want me to pay to see Denzel Washington's portrayal of JFK.

Comment

smh @ hollywood

Comment

Anyone in their right mind could look at Egyptians even today and tell they weren't white. I don't have a huge issue with it. It's a ****ing movie, like I give a damn.

But I also don't believe ancient Egyptians were african black either. I believe most likely they looked more or less similar to your average Egyptian today. In 2013, i think Nature publicized the first genetic study using next-generation sequencing to determine the ancestral lineage of an ancient egyptian individual. And they found the mummified individuals belonged to a group that originated in Western Asia.....basically the Middle East, which is more or less what Egyptians look like today.

I don't buy that they were white at all or african black.

Comment

Working...
                      X