Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Pacquiao-Marquez the greatest boxing rivalry of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think what made the Ali Frazier rivalry excellent was Ali's antics outside the ring but the fights themselves weren't as exciting imo

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
      rivalries are where one guy wins,, the other wins, and then they settle it. manny was 2-0-1, and we all know if floyd had said $60 mil instead of $40 mil or cotto agreed to 150/149 this fight would not have taken place.

this isn't ali-frazier or ward-gatti.
      So Robinson-LaMotta wasn't a great rivalry? What about Armstrong-Arizmendi? Chacon-Limon?

Comment

cliff he lowballed him. I will not ruin this thread but lets not change the truth. point is the span of time and the BS politics take away from this being a great rivalry IMO.
        I think the fact that they have been so evenly matched for so long enhances the rivalry.

Comment

this was their 4th fight and both were top 10 p4p when that 4th fight took place as when the other times they fought.

if a fifth fight did happen and its also another barn burner then yes i think this has a chance to become the greatest rivalry of all time.

Comment

cliff he lowballed him. I will not ruin this thread but lets not change the truth. point is the span of time and the BS politics take away from this being a great rivalry IMO.
            Not in 2005 he didn't. Marquez thought he was getting lowballed but they were offered an equal split.

Here's a good recap of the events: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=1966056

Marquez priced out in a hissy. he did that sometimes.
            Last edited by crold1; 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
              I think what made the Ali Frazier rivalry excellent was Ali's antics outside the ring but the fights themselves weren't as exciting imo
              plus , the potilical stuff that was invloved in that rivalry helpd it's case where frazier was viewed the uncle tom or as the white man's slave while ali was the black people's champ ..that magnified the significance of the rivalry...so without the political stuff, pac vs marquez could very well be the greatest rivalry...
              Last edited by danceswithfire; 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

rivalries are where one guy wins,, the other wins, and then they settle it. manny was 2-0-1, and we all know if floyd had said $60 mil instead of $40 mil or cotto agreed to 150/149 this fight would not have taken place.

this isn't ali-frazier or ward-gatti.
                Those are trilogies! A rival is on going! They try to equal or surpass one another but its on going! There was never a Draw in anyone you mentioned! Those were rubber matches! So close in fact and always left in controversial that its demand to silence the critics made them a Rivalry!

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
                  Those are trilogies! A rival is on going! They try to equal or surpass one another but its on going! There was never a Draw in anyone you mentioned! Those were rubber matches! So close in fact and always left in controversial that its demand to silence the critics made them a Rivalry!
                  Lots of great rivalries have had more than 3 fights. The trilogy is just more common in this era (and uncommon to an extent) because of lower overall fight volume.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    So Robinson-LaMotta wasn't a great rivalry? What about Armstrong-Arizmendi? Chacon-Limon?
                    Fair points but I was not around then and can't possibly know how I would feel about them if I was. I just know that the 2nd fight didn't take place when it should have and the 4th fight shouldn't have been made period. That is not a rivalry.

To Konstatntin: the last 2 fights wre supposed to be blowouts by Manny to set up floyd fights. They had 3 close fights but in each fight after the 1st manny was at least a 3-1 favorite in each because he was moving JMM up in weight. These are not 2 evenly matched fighters in the same weight class.

Comment

Fair points but I was not around then and can't possibly know how I would feel about them if I was. I just know that the 2nd fight didn't take place when it should have and the 4th fight shouldn't have been made period. That is not a rivalry.

To Konstatntin: the last 2 fights wre supposed to be blowouts by Manny to set up floyd fights. They had 3 close fights but in each fight after the 1st manny was at least a 3-1 favorite in each because he was moving JMM up in weight. These are not 2 evenly matched fighters in the same weight class.
                      Dude, it's a rivalry. You're on an island here.

Comment

Working...
                      X