No announcement yet.

I Think Floyd Is In A Tough Spot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think Floyd Is In A Tough Spot

The pressure is on for a mega fight. Either Pac as 1 or Martinez as the backup plan but to me I think his team feels like he's 1 fight away. You hear his dad & uncle talk non stop about Floyd being too old to be inactive. Even before the Ortiz fight they said that it would be crazy for Floyd to fight Pac now. You can tell that Floyd is even starting to feel the same way about activity.

Then the Ortiz fight came and I think the way it ended screwed up team Mayweather's plan. I think they feel that right now he could beat a Pac or Martinez but I think all of them would say that they would feel 100% that he could beat them with either more rounds or another fight. I dont think they felt he got in enough rounds with Ortiz. If they had to do it over, they wish there was no headbutt and the fight wouldve went the extra 2-6 rounds that Floyd wouldve probably had stopped him in anyways.

As good as he was, you could tell there was still some rust. I think they fear him getting caught early against those 2 guys or losing a fight just because it took him like 6-8 rounds to knock off the rust & get back in full fight mode to beat those guys. Like Floyd came on strong late to win the last 4 rounds but lost the fight because his timing was so off before then.

I think if they had it there way, he would have 1 more fight in May and then fight those guys along with Khan. Thats why I wouldnt be shocked to see a Pac or Martinez fight but I also wouldnt be shocked to see a Ortiz rematch or something like that and then him fighting a Pac or Martinez at the end of the year with the leftover guy coming next year with Khan.

I think there in a tough spot because they want the fight now and most of all they know the public wants the fight now, they would feel that Floyd will win but know for a fact that Floyd will win if he had 1 more fight before then to have no ring rust at all. A

gain, even if the Ortiz fight had went 6-8 rounds I think they would feel like he was pretty solid to fight them now but it didnt happen and its like they are stuck in the middle, feeling like yes its now or maybe 1 more fight. I think they would fight Khan easily in May but IDK if thats viable right now
    Last edited by DLT; 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM.

Not really. If he don't fight PAC which he want because I doubt bob makes it(I do believe manny wants to fight). If he fights Sergio in may I doubt we will ever see the fight. I do think he fights Kahn in dec.

Comment

Going more rounds would have helped. He did appear to get sharper as the fight went on. The options are slim though. It doesnt seem like Top Rank want to make the fight yet even though Pac himself is ready. They could spin the situation and have a fight on free hbo against Alexander since he is the number 1 contender. They could say this is a gift to the fans that were upset about the ending of the Ortiz fight. Its unlikely I know but I didnt expect Oscar to fight Forbes for free on HBO either. Just an idea to throw out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ko King 212 View Post
        Not really. If he don't fight PAC which he want because I doubt bob makes it(I do believe manny wants to fight). If he fights Sergio in may I doubt we will ever see the fight. I do think he fights Kahn in dec.
        No way. Bob Arum or not, there is no way that he would beat the likes of 2 big good Southpaws in Ortiz & Sergio but not fight Pac. If he fought Sergio & won then he would definitely feel that he could run through Pac at that point and Arum wouldnt be able to stop that fight because Floyd would have all the momentum being that everyone would elevate Floyd so high after the Sergio win and say that he was by far the toughest guy either one has fought in awhile so now Pac needs to step up

Comment

I think all this talk will only lead to Golden Boy matching Duckweather against Amir Khan.

I honestly believe that is the only option Duckweather has outside of Manny Pacquiao and Sergio Martinez without people going complete ape ****.

Comment

I don't think that he's in a spot too tough to handle. He's older but he still has plenty left in the tank. He hasn't taken any abuse which certainly helps. I truly believe that there is nothing that he can't overcome in the ring. I do think that his best chance of losing comes in a blazing early KO. It has to be a KO that short circuits his system, in between rounds 1 and 3.

On another note, I can't help but notice [since HBO is replaying both of Pac-Marquez' fights] that Manny began to look sluggish around the 8th round. Ariz comes along and Manny gains so much lean muscle mass, gets seemingly faster, and has 15 round stamina. During his fight with Marquez in 2008, which I am watching right now, I can see the difference in his legs. They looked a little weak. His punches were losing steam as well. If these tests are in play, I look forward to seeing Pacquiao begin to tire starting around the 7th round. If Manny slows even a fraction, Floyd will sense it and take advantage.

I hope the fight happens and I pick Floyd by late round stoppage. I truly believe that Freddie Roach will step in and save his fighter from taking further punishment.

Comment

Originally posted by M.I Truth ? View Post
              Going more rounds would have helped. He did appear to get sharper as the fight went on. The options are slim though. It doesnt seem like Top Rank want to make the fight yet even though Pac himself is ready. They could spin the situation and have a fight on free hbo against Alexander since he is the number 1 contender. They could say this is a gift to the fans that were upset about the ending of the Ortiz fight. Its unlikely I know but I didnt expect Oscar to fight Forbes for free on HBO either. Just an idea to throw out there.
              Hey my dude, that's a sick GIF you got popping. Looking at that KO, it's clear to see why the closest Manny Pacquiao has ever gotten to Andre Berto, was on the phone telling Ortiz that he can beat him. Something that he himself did not do. Andre Berto is still one of my favorite fighters. he lost to Ortiz and he had nothing to be ashamed of. He fought hard and gained more respect even in defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbj2 View Post
                I think all this talk will only lead to Golden Boy matching Duckweather against Amir Khan.

I honestly believe that is the only option Duckweather has outside of Manny Pacquiao and Sergio Martinez without people going complete ape ****.
                He will get ripped if he fights Khan in May. Khan hasn't even fought at 147 yet and he just said he might stay at 140 to fight Bradley.
                I reckon it will be Sergio, as it was only a few weeks ago when Martinez was saying a deal was almost done for the Floyd fight. They've just told him to stay hush for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by jjbj2 View Post

QUestion:

Bob said last week floyd was afraid of manny's right hand, thats why the fight wont happen. Manny said this week the fight wont happen because floyd wants too much money.

Which reason do you believe is true?

Comment

Originally posted by Convicted_Felon View Post
                    Hey my dude, that's a sick GIF you got popping. Looking at that KO, it's clear to see why the closest Manny Pacquiao has ever gotten to Andre Berto, was on the phone telling Ortiz that he can beat him. Something that he himself did not do. Andre Berto is still one of my favorite fighters. he lost to Ortiz and he had nothing to be ashamed of. He fought hard and gained more respect even in defeat.
                    The thing is I actually like the fact dude gets hated on so hard on these boards. He has his flaws but he comes to fight. I dont think we have seen his best moments yet. Timing and working on defense can get him to the next level. What I want to see is Berto vs Cotto.

Comment

Working...
                    X