Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you name guys who maybe shouldn't have been in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you name guys who maybe shouldn't have been in the HOF?

I know I'm no expert but when you look at hall of famers, usually they have a few things in common, or at least some of these things. Wins against other HOFers, title reign of at least a couple years, multiple title reigns, great winning percentage, etc.

Three fighters that stood out to me as VERY questionable.

Terry Norris
    Edwin Rosario
    Saad Muhammed

Norris lost nine fights and was KO'd multiple times. He had one really good stretch after getting KO'd by Jackson. Beat Curry, Leonard (older), Mugabi, and Meldrick Taylor. I don't think he did enough to be a HOFer though.

Rosario was 47-6 and won 3 titles. But his titles reigns were short. He lost the title the next fight every time he won.

Saad lost 16 times and never really beat any other great fighter.

Not to discredit these guys, just an observation.

Matthew Saad Muhammad has that many losses because he fought on far too long.Dwight Muhammad Qawi finished him off and even before then he had taken so much punishment.Before Saad fought Qawi,he had 36 professional fights with 31 victories,three losses and two draws with double victories over Marvin Johnson,Yaqui Lopez and John Conteh.

I was shocked to learn that Sean O'grady was in the hall of fame.I fail to see what he actually accomplished other than having a padded record.

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
      I know I'm no expert but when you look at hall of famers, usually they have a few things in common, or at least some of these things. Wins against other HOFers, title reign of at least a couple years, multiple title reigns, great winning percentage, etc.

Three fighters that stood out to me as VERY questionable.

Terry Norris
      Edwin Rosario
      Saad Muhammed

Norris lost nine fights and was KO'd multiple times. He had one really good stretch after getting KO'd by Jackson. Beat Curry, Leonard (older), Mugabi, and Meldrick Taylor. I don't think he did enough to be a HOFer though.

Rosario was 47-6 and won 3 titles. But his titles reigns were short. He lost the title the next fight every time he won.

Sadd, norris and rosario all deserve to been in the ibhf!

Comment

i'll tell ya who SHOULD be in the HOF

Buddy freakin McGirt

bull**** that he's not

Comment

Originally posted by dans01234 View Post
          i know i'm no expert but when you look at hall of famers, usually they have a few things in common, or at least some of these things. Wins against other hofers, title reign of at least a couple years, multiple title reigns, great winning percentage, etc.

Three fighters that stood out to me as very questionable.

Terry norris
          edwin rosario
          saad muhammed

norris lost nine fights and was ko'd multiple times. He had one really good stretch after getting ko'd by jackson. Beat curry, leonard (older), mugabi, and meldrick taylor. I don't think he did enough to be a hofer though.

barry mcguigan and eddie perkins

Comment

Jose Suliaman.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright-Eyes View Post
              Matthew Saad Muhammad has that many losses because he fought on far too long.Dwight Muhammad Qawi finished him off and even before then he had taken so much punishment.Before Saad fought Qawi,he had 36 professional fights with 31 victories,three losses and two draws with double victories over Marvin Johnson,Yaqui Lopez and John Conteh.
              I agree.

He also came up the hard way, facing other tough fighters in Philly. He fought guys like Yaqui Lopez, Marvin Johnson, and Eddie (Gregory) Mustafa Muhammad before getting a title shot.

Originally posted by Bright-Eyes View Post
              I was shocked to learn that Sean O'grady was in the hall of fame.I fail to see what he actually accomplished other than having a padded record.
              He's in the World Boxing Hall of Fame, not the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota which I think is the more "official" one.

That video in your avatar is a creepy acid trip or something. I was watching the literal version on youtube and cracking up.

Comment

Originally posted by 1SILVA View Post
                barry mcguigan and eddie perkins
                Barry McGuigan should NOT be in the IBHOF

Eddie Perkins was correctly entered into the IBHOF

Comment

Mathew Saad Muhammad was one of the greates value-for-money (crowd pleasing) fighters of all time... it would be a travesty if Saad was not in the IBHOF

Comment

Don't mind Terry Norris and Saad Muhammad at all, they belong there. Rosario is a bit questionable but he did win a lightweight title three times although he never actually established himself as the best lightweight.

Barry McGuigan, Jess Willard, but then again it's the hall of fame. McGuigan and Willard were certainly famous.

They've finally inducted Little Red Lopez and Lloyd Marshall so I have few complaints about the IBHOF. In the end it's about recognizing boxers and what they did for the sport. Surely it can be questioned why others are in while fighters who may have been better are left out. Still, I'd rather have the IBHOF than not.
                    Last edited by TheGreatA; 12-21-2009, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X