First Time at a Boxing Gym?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time at a Boxing Gym?

Hey guys,

I posted earlier to get some advice regarding what kind of gym to join, weight loss, etc. I have some further questioning.

I am 26, about 260 lbs, five-ten. I have a very large frame. Last year I left a job (mail carrier) to go to graduate school and get into a different career. When I was carrying mail, I got down to 200 pounds and was absolutely cut. Walking 10-12 miles a day with 30-40 pounds of mail for 12 hours a day really got me in shape. Weight falls off me quickly, but if I do not work out it comes on just as fast.

Unfortunately I put it all back on while being caught up in school this past year. I have decided to join a boxing gym in Chicago because it has always been appealing to me in every way. Discipline, the art, physical, mental strength, etc.

I am going to quit smoking in the next few weeks. I don't drink alcohol. I am going to begin jogging in the morning starting tomorrow. Even though I am overweight, I can handle intense conditioning psychologically and physically. Working as a mail carrier was quite the mental and physical demand. Here are my questions. Keep in mind I am going to have unlimited class access to a reputable boxing gym and plan on training physically, emotionally, technically, and strategically. It is going to be an adaptation of my new lifestyle I have developed since getting off of the hooch (over a year).

1. What to bring to the gym my first day?

2. How much jogging should I do and how often?
    (I used to job 3-4 miles every day)

3. What kind of gloves, mouth guard, wraps, and other equipment would you recommend, including equipment for my home? (I want to get this all at once to be prepared)

4. Any other recommendations for immersing myself? (I don't want to burn out, but I DO have a very strong mind and can become VERY disciplined when I immerse myself)

Any advice would be great. This forum is fantastic and have already gotten advice from you guys.

Keep it real.

Originally posted by ChitownMisfit View Post
    Hey guys,

I posted earlier to get some advice regarding what kind of gym to join, weight loss, etc. I have some further questioning.

I am 26, about 260 lbs, five-ten. I have a very large frame. Last year I left a job (mail carrier) to go to graduate school and get into a different career. When I was carrying mail, I got down to 200 pounds and was absolutely cut. Walking 10-12 miles a day with 30-40 pounds of mail for 12 hours a day really got me in shape. Weight falls off me quickly, but if I do not work out it comes on just as fast.

Unfortunately I put it all back on while being caught up in school this past year. I have decided to join a boxing gym in Chicago because it has always been appealing to me in every way. Discipline, the art, physical, mental strength, etc.

I am going to quit smoking in the next few weeks. I don't drink alcohol. I am going to begin jogging in the morning starting tomorrow. Even though I am overweight, I can handle intense conditioning psychologically and physically. Working as a mail carrier was quite the mental and physical demand. Here are my questions. Keep in mind I am going to have unlimited class access to a reputable boxing gym and plan on training physically, emotionally, technically, and strategically. It is going to be an adaptation of my new lifestyle I have developed since getting off of the hooch (over a year).

3. What kind of gloves, mouth guard, wraps, and other equipment would you recommend, including equipment for my home? (I want to get this all at once to be prepared)

4. Any other recommendations for immersing myself? (I don't want to burn out, but I DO have a very strong mind and can become VERY disciplined when I immerse myself)

Any advice would be great. This forum is fantastic and have already gotten advice from you guys.

Keep it real.
    just remember to bring the foil for underneath your wraps. other than that everything should be a piece of cake. And if you happen to see some guy plugging the side of his nose and blowing out snots on the canvas ask him to please stop, then tell him or you'll have to kick his ass. Have fun............ Rockin'

Comment

Phone the gym and ask them what you need to bring. Most gyms have equipment that you can use (i.e gloves, headguards, skipping ropes, hand wraps etc). I doubt you will need a gum shield on the first day.

None at this stage. If you are overweight you are likely to cause injury. You will lose weight through boxing training however, you can also add in full body strength training / circuit training etc and walking or low impact cardio (swimming, cross trainer, rowing, cycling etc).

Not sure on your budget or what brands are available in the US.

Don't try and do too much too soon, be consistent with your training and HAVE FUN !!!

Good luck.

Comment

At minimum I'd bring your own hand wraps. If they gym has hand wraps available, they most likely will have a funk about them that you won't be able to wash off for weeks.

Also some gym shoes, (budget plays into this as well).

At minimum I'd suggest having your own shoes, mouthpiece, wraps, and gloves.

You can start adding headgear and all of that once you get to the point where you're tired of getting ring worm on your face.

*you're (most likely) not going to get ringworm on your face, don't worry*

Comment

Ask the gym manager if their associated with USA boxing amatuer program. You can join the nationwide association and get some insurance coverage thats very inexpensive. Any gym that doesn't offer insurance these days for its amatuers isn't covering their azz or yours.
          As for equipment you need long cloth wraps, gym shoes (not boxing boots) you need a sweat suit, and a pair of trunks (don't have to be boxing trunks) and bring your own towels (2)! Ask what the trainers there suggest for mouth pieces, what kit is avalible these days. Down the road if your sparring you need to find a dentist that can fit you with a "foamed" piece built especially for you. However a piece is a good tool for running, and most gym work. (boxers don't jog, we run) even if its a slow run hahahaha!!!
          I suggest a wool pull over hat to keep heat in as your working out and use the hat as a cooler when you need a break! Bag gloves should be avalible and if theres different kinds then you can figure what feels best to you!

Shoe wear and sterile socks are very important never reused unwashed gym gear other than your wraps. Wraps need to be rerolled as you take them off and need to be washed twice a week! Roll them nice and even and maintain them everything that goes ON you needs to be clean and in perfect working order!

oh yeah if they want to see you spar the first few times there, your probably a jerk or they are jerks! No offense at all to you but beginners have months of lessons to learn before they get ring time other than mitt work! Ray

Comment

lol at this thread and answers especially so called trainer Ray))

Comment

Thank you to those who took me seriously.

Comment

I recommend a made of wool take over hat to keep warm in as your operating out and use the hat as a chilly when you need a crack, bag safety gloves should be available and if there different types then you can determine what seems best to you....

Weight Loss
                Last edited by Austin123; 07-25-2013, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ogecca MaMa View Post
                  lol at this thread and answers especially so called trainer Ray))
                  Ray's reply was spot on you rude jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by ChitownMisfit View Post
                    Hey guys,

Keep it real.

buy gloves, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Imf-T...bag+gloves+IMF

Buy some wraps and just show up, you don't need a mouth guard, you aren't sparring with anyone for at least 3 months, don't worry about miles, just run what you can, you will train according to your current fitness level.
                    Last edited by FilMor; 07-08-2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X