Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The Lara/Hurd Fight Proof Lara Gets Smoked by GGG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The Lara/Hurd Fight Proof Lara Gets Smoked by GGG?

For many years people were pressing GGG about a matchup with Lara. Including me. Especially around the time they booked a fight with Monroe and Sanchez made the statement that Monroe was a bigger name than Lara.

Lara spent years calling for it. Even willing to move up to the full 160 limit.

Is this fight against Hurd definitive proof that Lara would've been smoked by GGG at 160? or is this fight irrelevant in determining a GGG / Lara winner at 160?
    Lara never had a chance
    60.00%
    I thought would beat GGG..until the Hurd fight
    0.00%
    Lara STILL beats GGG
    10.00%
    Lara/GGG is still a fight I wanna see. 50/50
    30.00%

Lara would be competitive and win rounds but lose fairly wide and at this point probably by stoppage. I like Hurd a lot but he's not as good as GGG or as skilled.

I think Lara was close on Saturday though. I scored it to Hurd by a point (but will watch again in the coming days it's the fight I enjoyed most this year), but I felt Lara did enough to beat Canelo and obviously he beat Williams. He's usually in close fights because he has a lot of skill and obviously the type of heart that puts his countryman and friend Rigo to shame.

Comment

I was always skeptical about Lara's willingness to move to 160 for that fight. I've been trying to find the exact video but in it, the reporter asks Lara if he'll go to 160 and Lara responds with "154, 154...154." I'd say the video was around 2 years ago at least. Both Lara's and GGG's legs appear to be less than what they were so it's hard to say how Lara would've done after the Hurd fight. One thing though, when GGG was the body puncher he used to be, those lefts to the liver that Canelo, Angulo and Hurd threw, would've been easier to take than Golovkin's.

Comment

GGG does not fight like Hurd.

Angulo fight Lara was hurt way more than vs Hurd.

But GGG do not fight like Angulo nor Hurd.

GGG is not 6'1 nor have a longer reach that Lara like Hurd had.

Even tho Lara stayed in the pocket and other that the cut did not got hurt vs Hurd high volume punching and 12 round coming forward attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Illmatic94 View Post

For many years people were pressing GGG about a matchup with Lara. Including me. Especially around the time they booked a fight with Monroe and Sanchez made the statement that Monroe was a bigger name than Lara.

Lara spent years calling for it. Even willing to move up to the full 160 limit.

Is this fight against Hurd definitive proof that Lara would've been smoked by GGG at 160? or is this fight irrelevant in determining a GGG / Lara winner at 160?
          Alfredo Angulo put forward the template of how to beat Lara; it didn't work for him, based solely on his face not being able to hold up to the damage, but it worked out for Alvarez and it worked out for Hurd, both who ended up winning close fights.

Gennady Golovkin fights nothing like Alfredo Angulo, no matter how hard Abel Sanchez has tried. He takes damage ok, but he becomes almost ineffective when he's forced to have to fight in close/off the chest.

Lara can fight long, mid, and inside, but fighting inside is the only frame where there's a chance to overwhelm him with pressure and Golovkin won't do that.

Golovkin will likely stalk and try to volume jab against the sharpest stick at 154lbs, get to the mid-range, and watch Lara simply pivot on him the whole night. Lara 10-2 (judges will score it however they want, but the only way Lara loses a decision is by out and out robbery)

Comment

Originally posted by AKAcronym View Post
            I was always skeptical about Lara's willingness to move to 160 for that fight. I've been trying to find the exact video but in it, the reporter asks Lara if he'll go to 160 and Lara responds with "154, 154...154." I'd say the video was around 2 years ago at least. Both Lara's and GGG's legs appear to be less than what they were so it's hard to say how Lara would've done after the Hurd fight. One thing though, when GGG was the body puncher he used to be, those lefts to the liver that Canelo, Angulo and Hurd threw, would've been easier to take than Golovkin's.
            When was Golovkin ever a real body puncher, especially when he simply didn't have someone just standing there for him?

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              When was Golovkin ever a real body puncher, especially when he simply didn't have someone just standing there for him?
              You can go watch fights of him throughout his career and see he was always a devastating body puncher. Whether you think so or not, he would find Lara's body, as multiple people have.

Comment

GGG would have stopped Lara, and then the GGG haters would have slammed him for beating a Jr. MW. Same way they did it to Loma when he made Rigo quit.

Comment

GGG is shorter and has a reach 8 inches shorter than Hurd. He is slower and less agile. He is more skilled than Hurd IMO. Lara is older now and less mobile.

I don't think you can look at the Hurd/Lara fight and project how a fight with GGG would've gone a few years ago.

Comment

No it wouldn't because Hurd and Golovkin are completely different fighters. Both fighters bring different a style of pressure, Hurd up close and Golovkin fights at a range that Lara is comfortable at.

Comment

Working...
                    X