No announcement yet.

Your Definitions of Common Boxing Terms

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Definitions of Common Boxing Terms

I get frustrated with some of you mfers here with some your takes on whats this or that cuz some of you cats see "top ten" as like 3 guys. So with that in mind whats your take on often used boxing terms or definitions you have for your own terms if you got a custom dictionary.

Here's some of mine, maybe I'll add more as I think of 'em:

World Class/Elite Boxer = I use these interchangeably. And I consider anyone in the top 1% of their division (or in the top ten, whichever number is higher) world class or elite.

Bullsh^t/BS Opponent = any opponent who I deem not competitive enough going in with a better opponent. These fights can range from club show caliber guys all the way to world class guys if the matchmaking isn't deemed competitive enough going in.

Setup Opponent = I consider setup opponents to be the average prospects first 10-20 fights when they are in with guys well beneath them. TR is an expert at setup opponents for their prospects & is why they are the best at building names. TR can make guys they are setting up for their bigger names have a low level name (they got Ivan Nejera a decent rep before feeding him to Verdejo).

All Time Great = a bs concept for the child-like fantasy boxing fans to debate endlessly without anyone ever truly winning.

Pound For Pound = a bs term & concept that is some sci-fi sh^t to even consider "what if everyone was the same size, who'd be the best".

Bum = a term I almost never use cuz it feels like a slur against boxers, but when I do use it it'll generally be when I'm talking about the lowest of the low guys in boxing with some crazy bad losing records. Think Reggie Strickland level guys.

see i think Elite and World Class are two different things.

To me, elite is a guy like Mayweather, someone that can make other world class fighters look average. i think "elite" should be reserved for people like that. Andre Ward was an elite fighter when he beat someone like Froch. Froch was comfortably world class, but he wasn't on Ward's level

world class is a pretty broad spectrum though i think. someone like Bellew was at the lower end of world class in the sense he is too good for Euro/Domestic level, but probably never going to beat the very top fighters in the division who i'd consider kind of upper world class. i'd say someone like Joseph Parker also fits into the mould of a lower world class fighter that'll never beat the top fighters, but will beat anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      I get frustrated with some of you mfers here with some your takes on whats this or that cuz some of you cats see "top ten" as like 3 guys. So with that in mind whats your take on often used boxing terms or definitions you have for your own terms if you got a custom dictionary.

Here's some of mine, maybe I'll add more as I think of 'em:

World Class/Elite Boxer = I use these interchangeably. And I consider anyone in the top 1% of their division (or in the top ten, whichever number is higher) world class or elite.

Bullsh^t/BS Opponent = any opponent who I deem not competitive enough going in with a better opponent. These fights can range from club show caliber guys all the way to world class guys if the matchmaking isn't deemed competitive enough going in.

Setup Opponent = I consider setup opponents to be the average prospects first 10-20 fights when they are in with guys well beneath them. TR is an expert at setup opponents for their prospects & is why they are the best at building names. TR can make guys they are setting up for their bigger names have a low level name (they got Ivan Nejera a decent rep before feeding him to Verdejo).

All Time Great = a bs concept for the child-like fantasy boxing fans to debate endlessly without anyone ever truly winning.

Pound For Pound = a bs term & concept that is some sci-fi sh^t to even consider "what if everyone was the same size, who'd be the best".

Bum = a term I almost never use cuz it feels like a slur against boxers, but when I do use it it'll generally be when I'm talking about the lowest of the low guys in boxing with some crazy bad losing records. Think Reggie Strickland level guys.
      Pretty much bang on the way I use the terms except again I'd seperate world class (top 10 / 15 guys who'd largely be competitive with each other) and elite - the top dog or top 2 or 3 in a division - the guys who clearly seperate themselves from the pack. In a sense though, of course you're right. The top 1% of individuals involved in any other profession would absolutely be described as the elite, so why not in boxing?

P4P. Agreed - as I point out at every opportunity - utterly pointless subjective BS.

I'd like to add one too - 'Duck'. Like 'bum' it ain't one that I really use, but since it's common currency around here I'd like to see a little consistency from people who do use it. The only cases it ever makes any sense in my book are when referring to a fighter refusing to fight their mandatory, and even then in many cases it ain't appropriate due to mitigating circumstances, financial or otherwise. After all, no fighter is actually obliged - ever - to fight anyone else, but if they hold a title they should at least abide by the rules of the body that awarded it to them.
      Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-12-2018, 02:58 PM.

Comment

The biggest one that is bad here imo is hypejob. People really should use "over hyped" more than "hypejob" here. If you are world level you aren't a hype job, but you may well be overhyped. Hype jobs don't make it that far. Some have commented on this before, maybe even you Eff but I figured this was a good place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by evets View Post
          The biggest one that is bad here imo is hypejob. People really should use "over hyped" more than "hypejob" here. If you are world level you aren't a hype job, but you may well be overhyped. Hype jobs don't make it that far. Some have commented on this before, maybe even you Eff but I figured this was a good place for it.
          Can you be a hype job and world class?
          Take Adrien Broner for instance.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Broner never made it to world level, when he tried he failed. So he contented himself with the carcasses others ignored.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned Broner never made it to world level, when he tried he failed. So he contented himself with the carcasses others ignored.
              You don't thnk a 4 weight champ is world class?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                You don't thnk a 4 weight champ is world class?
                That's why I said he picked up the scraps and when he challenged genuine world level people he got spanked. Literally (Maidana ). He is like the boxers over in Bulgaria etc 30 and 0 IBO contenders. Broners a Eubank Jr.

Comment

That's why I said he picked up the scraps and when he challenged genuine world level people he got spanked. Literally (Maidana ). He is like the boxers over in Bulgaria etc 30 and 0 IBO contenders. Broners a Eubank Jr.
                  No man. Someone like a Sot Karas is right below world level. Not bout to call someone with 4 belts below world class no matter how much you don't like him lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
                    No man. Someone like a Sot Karas is right below world level. Not bout to call someone with 4 belts below world class no matter how much you don't like him lol.
                    This isn't the point though the question was can you be both. It's a moot point. For me, he never attained it so is a hype job. For you he attained it so can only be over hyped (mainly by himself). Thus the point of my original post.

Comment

Working...
                    X