Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo/Golovkin doesn't deserve to be a fight of the year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are people calling it fight of the year?? It really wasn't that good.

Comment

I wouldn't agree that FOTY should show the best qualities of the 2 fighters, a lot of the most exciting fights involve guys making defensive mistakes, or having to dig deep and use willpower or something other than their best skills to pull out the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Are people calling it fight of the year?? It really wasn't that good.
        I'm like 95% sure media will call it a fight of the year, just watch

The fight was entertaining, but not for me. Not my style, not my kind of fight

Comment

Originally posted by g27region View Post
          That's my opinion and I know I'm going to catch some criticism for it, but no way Golovkin/Canelo deserves to be Fight Of The Year.

A real Fight Of The Year shows better qualities of both fighters, and Canelo/Golovkin did nothing but exposed the weak points of both fighters. Canelo at the peak of his prime showing worse stamina than an old fighter and Golovkin throwing nothing but jabs, only headhunting, making no adjustments at all. I was disappointed with both of them.

The fight was entertaining but it's not supposed to be a fight of the year. Lomachenko/Linares, Ortiz/Wilder, Usyk/Briedis were better, these fighters showed their best qualities, their top game and their weak points weren't exposed in the same way like Canelo and Golovkin weak points were exposed

It can't be a fight of the year only because they're more well known
          I disagree with Canelo, this fight showed new dimensions to his game, he showed he can be a pressure fighter, instead of the counterpuncher / boxer puncher he usually is...and his stamina wasn't that bad considering he was the one pressing the action for most of the night

the real dissapointment was GGG, with his jab fest, backpeddling and absence of body punching, he made adjustments and was getting better in the later rounds, but I expected more from him, much more

and yeah, good fight but not exciting enough to be FOTY

Comment

I thought Linares vs. Lomachenko was better.

Comment

Canelo/GGG 1 & 2 were not very good fights. First fight was full of controversy with the scoring, and the fight itself didn't deliver. Canelo was on his backfoot most of the fight, and GGG never really showed any balls to KO canelo and force any stoppage when he had him on the ropes. Oscar and abel were bashing mayweather/conor fight being the circus, but the canelo/ggg 1 was the true circus.

As for the 2nd fight, it was another disappointment. Canelo this time forced the action, but GGG was even more cautious and did not start fast as usual. GGG just couldn't fight aggressive despite his team saying that they don't want to leave it to the judges. It was another bore fest.

My fight of the year candidate would be wilder/ortiz. It was intense and had some nice moments. This was the first time I was concerned about wilder when he looked like he was going to get stopped, but he showed heart and KO'ed ortiz.

Comment

Good fight and would have no qualms with it being considered fight of the year.

Comment

Who is calling it FOTY though?

Comment

Only a casual will say it wasn't fight of the year.

Comment

Working...
                    X