No announcement yet.

Heavyweights who beat prime World Class Opposition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    Your reasoning is so convoluted. Most of those fighters didn't fight a guy as good as Hagler in their whole careers. Some had better middleweight resumes, but that doesnt always equate into a h2h win. You really dont understand this sport at all.
    Let us have a quick look at what you claim, Haglers greatest career victories, were against 135lb former champion Roberto Duran & 147lb Tommy Hearns.

Langford - Sam McVea, Bill Tate, Harry Wills, Joe Jeanette, Jim Johnson, Phil Jack O'Brien, Joe Gans.

Toney - McCallum, Holyfield, Ruiz, Jirov, Reggie Johnson. C. Williams. Michael Nunn.

Robinson - Basilio, LaMotta, Fullmer, Graziano, H. Armstrong. R.Turpin.

Jones Jr. - Toney, Ruiz, Hill, Hopkins, McCallum. Trinidad.

Leonard - Hagler

Ketchel - Phil Jack O'Brien, Papke, Mike twin Sullivan.

Greb - Tunney, Micky Walker, T. Loughran, J. Slattery, T. Flowers etc etc.

Walker - M. Rossenbloom, P. Uzcudun, T. Flowers, J. Sharkey

Monzon - Griffiths, Napoles, Valdez, Licata, Mundine, Benvenuti.

As always, everything you ever make claim of is wrong.

I could easily have added the names:

Hopkins, Benn, Jackson, McClellan, Cerdan, Fullmer, Charles, Moore, Tiger, Burley, Gibbons, Williams, Thil, Zale etc etc...Hagler defeated Duran on a "RAZOR-THIN" decision, and Hearns due to a broken hand. He then got his ass handed to him by Leonard having his first fight in years lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
      If you feel everyone here is so beneath you, and we think you are total horse**** why do you post here?

See? thats what a troll does! Your a troll.... I used to post on a site before this and it changed...I didn't like it anymore...so I left. Yu come back to get kicked around, abused, showed the error of your ways, forced to go on vacation, yet you still come back for more. Then you lie to save face.
      You know something bill, your correct for once mate, "you ask, why do i post here" hmmmm i don't any more.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        Let us have a quick look at what you claim, Haglers greatest career victories, were against 135lb former champion Roberto Duran & 147lb Tommy Hearns.

Langford - Sam McVea, Bill Tate, Harry Wills, Joe Jeanette, Jim Johnson, Phil Jack O'Brien, Joe Gans.

Toney - McCallum, Holyfield, Ruiz, Jirov, Reggie Johnson. C. Williams. Michael Nunn.

Leonard - Hagler

Hopkins, Benn, Jackson, McClellan, Cerdan, Fullmer, Charles, Moore, Tiger, Burley, Gibbons, Williams, Thil, Zale etc etc...Hagler defeated Duran on a "RAZOR-THIN" decision, and Hearns due to a broken hand. He then got his ass handed to him by Leonard having his first fight in years lol.
        You list all that crap for those guys but not Leonard or Hagler?

So Hagler's record is 2-0? He only fought two guys and both were faulty victories? Or was it 63-0 and only two guys ever had positive records?

Learn the art of not being a biased prick, mate.

Comment

Leonard - Hagler

You still haven't named a better middleweight that any of those fighters faced than Hagler. How interesting you would throw heavyweights, light heavies, super middles and even lightweights into the mix to try and prove your non existent point. As already stated, your reasoj ing is convoluted and based only on a desire to smear a great legend of the sport.

Comment

Yes i take boxing seriously, yet it is obvious to me, that you most certainly don't, take it seriously.

I would take hagler to defeat zale. but no way does hagler have a hope of beating any of these guys.

Langford
            Toney
            Robinson
            Jones Jr
            Leonard
            Ketchel
            Greb
            Walker
            Steele
            LaMotta
            Monzon

Now you and the other fools on here, can start with your usual drivel, Jones Jr & Toney are not middleweights which is pure garbage and agenda driven..

Hagler was a very good fighter, yet he never fought a single opponent in his entire career, who was in the same league as the fighters listed. Hagler would be KOd by most of those fighters.. Hagler really, only ever fought two punchers in his career. Hearns, who wobbled Hagler in the opening round, before breaking his hand, and Juan Roldan, who floored Hagler, before being deliberately thumbed.

im off back
            This is actually a thought provoking list mind if I respond?

1) Langford came from a different era, he fought differently so it is hard to compare....its certainly possible.

2)Toney. Wow! This is a hard one to call Sony. Hard to tell if Toney could do it at middle weight. he has the chin and so does hagler. This would be a great fight if Toney could make the weight. I can't see either guy going down... If Toney counters Hagler coming in he could stop a lot of Hagler's pressure. If Toney was at his best its possible, NOW if Hagler fought him up one weight then Toney looks real good! Toney winning is a possability.

3,4) Robinson Jones...definitely but again at Middle weight? But yes, no doubt.

5, 6, 7 These guys were all great fighters. Its entirely possible they would beat Marvin.

8) I am reserving judgement on Steele, don't know enough about him.

9) LaMOTTA! Wow!! that would have been a sizzle of a steak!!! What a fight...that would be one of the fights I would wish for if we could go back. Yes LaMotta definitely could best Marvin, no question about it. LaMOtta had the pressure and the angles to take Hagler's speed apart and perhaps even more pressure than Hagler.

10) Monzon. Yes Monzon could beat Hagler. Monzon would tear up from the outside. It would be a fight where Hagler might have real problems getting to Monzon with that reach and all...also when marvin finally gets in, Monzon could fight inside. I think a lot of people may agree that Monzon would win this.

Good list

Comment

jealousy, eating away at you mate
              Sonny how would a fight between Homicide Hank and Hagler play out?

You think Hank has a chance? I think he might because Hagler was not a gigantic middle weight, Hank had that beard, so he can take Hagler's punch, he has the skills to pressure Hagler and do so even more than Hagler could do...the question would be if Hagler's punching was good enough to catch Hank and back him up, and if Hagler could muscle the smaller man to stay away from his short arms when Hank was pressuring.

I think this would be a good fight due to the style of both men.

Comment

• I see the return of Larry of the 3 Stooges has arrived!
                Hagler must of scared this kid in his dreams, or maybe it was the sight of Hagler beating up Minter "in person" that scared him........

Langford
                Toney
                Robinson
                Jones Jr
                Leonard
                Ketchel
                Greb
                Walker
                Steele
                LaMotta
                Monzon

Hagler is in the mix with all of these past fighter, only Robinson and Monzon could be favored.
                You forgot Cerdan and a few others but it makes no difference people who "hate" are just fools.

At least Moe & Curly have retired!

Ray

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  I see the return of Larry of the 3 Stooges has arrived!
                  Hagler must of scared this kid in his dreams, or maybe it was the sight of Hagler beating up Minter "in person" that scared him........

Langford
                  Toney
                  Robinson
                  Jones Jr
                  Leonard
                  Ketchel
                  Greb
                  Walker
                  Steele
                  LaMotta
                  Monzon

Hagler is in the mix with all of these past fighter, only Robinson and Monzon could be favored.
                  You forgot Cerdan and a few others but it makes no difference people who "hate" are just fools.

At least Moe & Curly have retired!

Ray
                  AND YOU MUST BE MOE,CORRECT? LEADER OF THE STOOGES....THOUGH YOUR THE DUMBEST ONE ACTUALLY YOU STILL LEAD IN THAT RACE THE DIFFERANCE IS YOU IDIOTS DONT GET ALONG WHICH MAKES IT ACTUALLY MORE ENJOYABLE TO READ.....

Comment

• The “Brockton Blockbuster” was the only heavyweight champion to retire undefeated, ending with a perfect 49-0.

Comment

• Originally posted by elina jhon View Post
                      The “Brockton Blockbuster” was the only heavyweight champion to retire undefeated, ending with a perfect 49-0.
                      Jim Jeffries retired as undefeated champion also. That he came back and lost 6 years later is really inconsequential. What does any of that have to do with this thread though?

Comment

Working...
                      X