Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSB Ukrainian star, Sergiy Derevyanchenko turns pro.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSB Ukrainian star, Sergiy Derevyanchenko turns pro.

Sergiy Derevyanchenko, from Ukraine, is expected to make his Pro debut on June 21. He was one of the best fighters in the World Series of Boxing. He has a WSB record of 23-1!

I've watched some of his WSB fights. He's a poised, patient, but agressive, come-forward fighter. He looks strong and hits hard, having scored 7 knockouts (wearing 12 oz gloves), a very good number considering that we rarely see knockouts in this competition.

He has had limited success in major amateur tournaments (Olympic Games, World Championships). His best result is a bronze medal at the 2007 World Championships. He's also a two-time Ukrainian national champion. After 2009, Ievgen Khytrov became the first choice to represent Ukraine.

Derevyanchenko is obviously not turning pro with the same amateur pedigree or with the same expectations/hype as a Rigondeaux or a Lomachenko, but he could be one to watch. I think his style is better suited to the pros than the amateurs. He may become the new Golovkin/Kovalev/Provodnikov. It will be interesting to see what kind of opponents he fights, since he's had 24 (semi)pro fights and is already 28 years old. I'm definitely intrigued.

He is fighting 10-1 in Ca opponent is Jas Phipps

Comment

Working...
    X