Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was GGGs performance the blueprint for kovalev against ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was GGGs performance the blueprint for kovalev against ward?

People complain and say GGG looked bad, lost a couple rounds and sloppy, but at the end of the day he stopped the guy in 5 rounds and did him some serious damage. To me, it was a good performance and xactly the tactics you should use against someone who's power you don't respect.

My opinion is that kovalev should just follow what GGG did, and walk forward throwing big shots until one does damage, don't worry about winning rounds. Its safe to say that at LHW andre ward couldn't crack an egg, hence he couldn't put away a 40 year old alex brand so hes not going to hurt kovalev when he comes forward. If kovalev just comes straight forward, loading up on shots I think this fight could look pretty similar to the one we saw on Saturday night, the difference being that kell brook has the stomach for a fight and andre ward doesn't, so he may quit before the towel gets thrown in potentially.

What do others feel the game plan for kovalev should be?

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
    People complain and say GGG looked bad, lost a couple rounds and sloppy, but at the end of the day he stopped the guy in 5 rounds and did him some serious damage. To me, it was a good performance and xactly the tactics you should use against someone who's power you don't respect.

My opinion is that kovalev should just follow what GGG did, and walk forward throwing big shots until one does damage, don't worry about winning rounds. Its safe to say that at LHW andre ward couldn't crack an egg, hence he couldn't put away a 40 year old alex brand so hes not going to hurt kovalev when he comes forward. If kovalev just comes straight forward, loading up on shots I think this fight could look pretty similar to the one we saw on Saturday night, the difference being that kell brook has the stomach for a fight and andre ward doesn't, so he may quit before the towel gets thrown in potentially.

What do others feel the game plan for kovalev should be?
    Who complained, actually? Da slick "hit and don't be hit" posters here?... or the CompuBox "+/- ratio" savvy analysts?

Top level fighters always chose to perform in different manners according to the context of a specific fight in progress... for instance: Golovkin caught Brook badly in the 1st round and chose to "walk trough" the Brit.

Comment

kovalev doesn't have GGG's balance, he can be put down

i didn't see the brand fight but ward's counter left hook seemed like a punch you don't want to be hit with repeatedly in the barrera fight

Comment

Thank God Kovalev isn't dumb enough to follow that type of strategy. He knows that he could get caught with something he doesn't see, he isn't fighting a guy who spent his career two weight divisions below, he's dealing with a fighter who is more experienced and has fought and even won a gold medal against bigger opposition.

Comment

Let's be real, if Brook didn't break his orbital bone it would have been a different fight.

Breaking your orbital bone is kind of a fight changing injury.

Comment

Well this is dumb...

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
              Thank God Kovalev isn't dumb enough to follow that type of strategy. He knows that he could get caught with something he doesn't see, he isn't fighting a guy who spent his career two weight divisions below, he's dealing with a fighter who is more experienced and has fought and even won a gold medal against bigger opposition.
              Come on man, wards got no power, never going to wobble kovalev. If kovalev comes out firing, ward has 12 rounds he has to get through. Whats the point in wasting early rounds trying to outbox him. Get stuck into him from round one. Sounds crude but that's what maidana did against broner and mayweather and he did alright. Whereas an arguably better fighter in canelo ****ed around trying to outbox mayweather when he cant.

Comment

Originally posted by RenegÄde View Post
                Let's be real, if Brook didn't break his orbital bone it would have been a different fight.

if buts maybes, being damaged was a result of golovkin loading up on his shots

Comment

Originally posted by RenegÄde View Post

you mean if GGG hadn't broken his face?

i mean yeah sure the fight would've definitely been different if GGG didn't punch him

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    Who complained, actually? Da slick "hit and don't be hit" posters here?... or the CompuBox "+/- ratio" savvy analysts?

Top level fighters always chose to perform in different manners according to the context of a specific fight in progress... for instance: Golovkin caught Brook badly in the 1st round and chose to "walk trough" the Brit.
                    the ****** crew on here who say he was 'exposed' cause he got tagged with a couple of shots in round 2

Comment

Working...
                    X