Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG on Canelo, extensive feedback (translation from Russian)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GGG on Canelo, extensive feedback (translation from Russian)

Here's the interview from 2012 in Russian. Due to language barrier you may not know what GGG truly thinks of Canelo.

Reporter: What's your opinion of Canelo and is he as great as people make him at 21 yo?

GGG: yes he's a real deal. Firstly I wanna thank my coach for the opportunity to train in Big Bear. Saul also trained there for the last 3 fights, we were in the same gym and had sparring sessions and worked together. He's a promising young lad with good technical skills, quite a promising boxer.

Reporter: Ishida sparred Saul and was brutally KOd, and there are rumors that all Canelo's sparring partners just get KO'd and cannot be competitive with him (GGG starts to smirk at 1:40 while hearing this). What's your impression and how do assess him as a future opponent?

GGG: I don't wanna go that far into the future because Canelo has an unfinished business at 154. And it's difficult to compare us two, we are in different weight divisions, I'm heavier by one weight class. But I can say he is powerful enough for 160, and he is young. Moreover he dominates such older fighters like Mosley, so compared to them he looks younger and stronger.

Just like every other boxer he has strengths and weaknesses that I exploited - we worked together for more than a month, and yes, he has holes in his game, he has problems so he's not as flawless as he seems to be.

And to respond to the statement that all his sparring partners go down, no, I wouldn't agree with that. Ishida worked with him, and Saul brutally KOd him twice, I didn't expect that from Ishida, he was totally shut down. To sum up, many boxers on a lower level can't keep up and can't go through the full training camp. They can compete for 1-3 sessions but fail eventually because the camp is for a month or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBLsuV2cLqM
    Last edited by ggg_kz; 12-03-2014, 05:24 PM.

If I remember correctly in this very same interview didn't he also talk about Alfredo Angulo and how Angulo couldn't keep up with him in sparring, but Canelo held his own?

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
      If I remember correctly in this very same interview didn't he also talk about Alfredo Angulo and how Angulo couldn't keep up with him in sparring, but Canelo held his own?
      No, I never seen that interview. Abel said that but GGG is always respectful, so I don't think he has ever said that about Angulo.

Comment

Gennady make Canelo good Irish boy

Comment

Damn I didn't know Godnelo KO'd Ishida twice in sparring.

#takebackcinco

Comment

Working...
          X