Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Olympic medalists that turn pro be held to a higher standard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Olympic medalists that turn pro be held to a higher standard?

Should the likes of Ward, Rigo, GGG, Khan, Degale, Loma, Wilder etc be encourgaged to fight tougher / more challenging opposition or get the same treatment as other boxers coming up the ranks?

They are held to a higher standard. Rigo was fighting at an elite level by like 10 fights. Loma was fighting Salido his second outing. Ward took part in the Super Six by like his 20th fight. Wilder however makes you wonder if only 3 guys took part in the Olympics that year.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
      They are held to a higher standard. Rigo was fighting at an elite level by like 10 fights. Loma was fighting Salido his second outing. Ward took part in the Super Six by like his 20th fight. Wilder however makes you wonder if only 3 guys took part in the Olympics that year.
      I think guys like Joshua and Wilder are definitely milking it, but to be fair to them, they only had a small number of amateur fights before the Olympics

Comment

I think it depends how soon they graduate, some of these medalists like Rigo and Lomachenko fight hundreds and hundreds of fights and in tournaments.

Ali had around 100 amateur fights and won his title in the 20th fight, a lot earlier than most but Lomachenko has his belt in three fights and easily looks like the best guy in a good division.

Comment

To answer your original question though, no I don't think they should be held to a higher standard. However I think regardless of amateur accomplishments, every champion should be held to a higher standard than is currently used. Joshua isn't a champion and for all I care he can take all the soft touches he wants. But once you get a belt ala Wilder, this fighting guys outside the top 10 crap has to stop.

Comment

No. They should be brought along the same as any other promising boxer. Amateur scoring is so messed up that the best boxers often don't win medals. There is much politics involved too. Roy Jones lost to a Korean in Korea in the Olympics after damn near killing the guy for all three rounds. Some Olympic medalists don't do that well in the pros.

Comment

Aren't they already held to a higher standard? Seems like they are.

Personally I wish all boxers were put in competitive level fights from the start. Boxing has one of the most bull**** manufactured record building formative years of any sport out there. Outside of a few outliers most prospect or promising caliber type guys are in gimmee fights for the first 2-3 years of their careers.

Comment

I know what you mean, but still it takes some time to adjust from wearing head guards to not wearing them. That's why perhaps, the fights are non-competitive at the start.

General rule of thumb however should be that every fighter should be competing at championship level by their 20th - 21st fight, and post that they shouldn't be able to fight anyone less than the top ten in their division. I think that would make for a far more competitive sport.

Comment

Working...
                X