No announcement yet.

Social Justice Warriors in Society

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by //// View Post
    That's extremely terrifying. Then you will be called a racist for worrying when you get a black doctor (knowing that they're automatically admitted into programs they weren't qualified for).
    Where are Arabs on that chart?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
      Where are Arabs in that chart?
      We are counted as "white" in census & admissions. We have everything 10x harder than you but still high income. Any questions?

It's scary (but not surprising) that I could have showed up to class once per semester, checked "black" and gotten into Yale Medical.

Comment

We are counted as "white" in census & admissions. We have everything 10x harder than you but still high income. Any questions?
        Oh so you're included with whites, just as North Africans are,as Ironic as that is.

So whites took you in and there's no real way of calculating your achievements. For all we know, there could be a total of 5 Arabs with 3.2 GPA's, bit we'll never know

Is this something you're proud of in the medical world?
        Last edited by Chollo Vista; 10-18-2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Oh so you're included with whites, just as North Africans are,as Ironic as that is.

So in whites took you in and there's no real way of calculating your achievements. For all we know, there could be a total of 5 Arabs with 3.2 GPA's, bit we'll never know

Is this something you're proud of in the medical world?
          According to that graph if we had 3.2 GPAs we would have almost no chance (5.9%) Edit: 8% of being admitted. You would have a 56.4% chance.

Literally ten times harder... Yet you're "oppressed".

Some day you will admit that your real problem is being spoiled by another ethnic group to the point that you're no longer functional/self-reliant. The extreme opposite of oppression. People who can't speak a word of English and don't own their own shoelaces surpass you within 1 generation.
          Last edited by ////; 10-18-2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

According to that graph if we had 3.2 GPAs we would have almost no chance (5.9%) of being admitted. You would have a 56.4% chance.

Some day you will admit that your real problem is being spoiled by another ethnic group to the point that you're no longer functional/self-reliant. The extreme opposite of oppression.
            So again, I didn't ask you what were white medical accomplishments for I can read the graph. I asked what were Arab medical accomplishments and you can't answer.

We know what Asians and Hispanics are. What's yours?

Comment

Some day you will admit that your real problem is being spoiled by another ethnic group to the point that you're no longer functional/self-reliant. The extreme opposite of oppression
              Expound on this quote. I don't want to assume anything before I school you.

eople who can't speak a word of English and don't own their own shoelaces surpass you within 1 generation.
              Who are you talking about?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bygeorge View Post
                Speaking of Medical Schools in this Social Justice Warrior thread:

#BlackPrivilege

Comment

• Originally posted by Bygeorge View Post
                  Speaking of Medical Schools in this Social Justice Warrior thread:

Hard to make what's what with this table without more info on where they ended up, what schools they applied to, what schools they attended, what the applicants looked like in those particular programs etc

Just the data in this table would cause you to be tempted to believe that each medical program had to lower the admissions standards in order to admit Black students. But the table as is does not necessitate this to occur. It could be that in order to diversify the pool, they decide that amongst the candidates that are above their respective admissions standard, but not necessarily by much, they disproportionately admit Black students.

What I'm saying is, those Black students w/ low to mid B+ GPAs and marginal MCATs are probably not being admitted to Harvard or Johns Hopkins. They are probably being selected for low-ranked medical programs where their numbers are not especially low relative to non-Black admits.

To offer some evidence in support of the above, here is the class profile for the incoming Johns Hopkins MD class. Note that the lowest GPA of any entering student was 3.8 and that the lowest MCAT of any entering student was 32 (those two stats don't necessarily belong to the same student). This suggests to me that they didn't exactly have to bend over backwards to admit Black students.
                  http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/a...tatistics.html

AKA the affirmative action admits at a top school like Johns Hopkins are still extremely qualified.

I think in the long run there is a benefit to affirmative action, but I won't belabor this point as I recognize that defending affirmative action in the lounge usually gets me more replies than I care to deal with.

Originally posted by //// View Post

It's scary (but not surprising) that I could have showed up to class once per semester, checked "black" and gotten into Yale Medical.
                  I debunk this point above

Originally posted by //// View Post
                  According to that graph if we had 3.2 GPAs we would have almost no chance (5.9%) of being admitted. You would have a 56.4% chance.

Some day you will admit that your real problem is being spoiled by another ethnic group to the point that you're no longer functional/self-reliant. The extreme opposite of oppression. People who can't speak a word of English and don't own their own shoelaces surpass you within 1 generation.
                  You are misreading the chart. The only group that hits the 5.9% figure is Asian, 3.2-3.39 GPA & 24-26 MCAT.

You said you were White (by census definition), and no subset of White had a 5.9% chance of getting a med school admit. But further, there are a few different regions for someone with a 3.2 GPA (depending on MCAT score) and so the odds range from 8-34% for the subsets of MCAT scores covered by this table (32 is not the maximum score).

Anyhow I imagine any theory of oppression does not conclude that admissions to schools is where they are being oppressed. Rather it would be that oppression / socioeconomic circumstances explains why the numbers are so slanted in the first place.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-18-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

So again, I didn't ask you what were white medical accomplishments for I can read the graph. I asked what were Arab medical accomplishments and you can't answer.

We know what Asians and Hispanics are. What's yours?
                    But you didn't answer his question..

5.9% if your labeled white

56% if your labeled black

Why is that?

Why on the graph do those labeled black get over 50% of the lower gpa spots?

How are the blacks oppressed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      But you didn't answer his question..

5.9% if your labeled white

56% if your labeled black

Why is that?

Why on the graph do those labeled black get over 50% of the lower gpa spots?

How are the blacks oppressed?
                      I didn't answer his question because we're talking about Arab contributions on that chart. Unless you posted something about Arab contributions, not white contributions, we have nothing to talk about, Mr. $3.50

Comment

Working...
                      X