No announcement yet.

How Were Weight Classes Decided?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Personally I'd love to see the weight divisions scrapped, reduced & reinvented. Although with how effed up everything in boxing is I'm sorta of the opinion that boxing should hijack everything it can from the UFC including their 8 weight divisions (265, 205, 185, 170, 155, 145, 135, 125). If you weigh 107lbs you should eat more you skinny malnourished mfer.
    UFC weight clases would actually work better for boxing than for MMA.

MMA is a sport heavily based on wrestling and wrestlers are heavier than boxers (ie. doing wrestling will bulk you up more than boxing all your life), that's why wrestling has different weight classes, heavyweight division starts at 98kg for example (in judo it's at 100kg). UFC upper weight limit at 265 is ******ed because you have legit wrestlers and judokas who weigh more than that and don't have excessive body fat. Also wrestlers/MMA fighters cut much more weight than boxers, MMA fighters in 265, 205 and 185 divisions all weigh more than 205 during the fight, even some 170 are over 205 (ie in heavyweight range). McGregor is probably bigger than many boxers in 168 division and he fights at 145 in MMA, nearly killing himself with the weightcut.

I'd have UFC weightclasses with extra 115 division (flyweight division is a very old one in boxing, I'd keep it) and maybe 175 and 165 instead of 170 and no 185. Basically heavyweight, cruiserweight and then a division at 10 pounds difference from 175 on.

Comment

Originally posted by buge View Post
      Canelo agrees with you :blow:
      I just died lol

Comment

Originally back before the marquess queensbury rules , fighting weight classes was a crude standard of a stone in a Man , a pound in a dog and an ounce in a fighting rooster , this was a time when one on one fighting whether man or beast was considered sport and famous men dogs and roosters where revered by the common folk , oh how times change .

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Thank you thank you. Eff Pandas aka King of Wikipeding ****. LMGTFY is so 2011.

It seems like some cats in London just pulled them outta there ass from the best I can tell at the beginning to help prevent mismatches. By the 1910's there was the old school 8. Then the alphabet groups had a new weight division off or some such **** & the weight divisions exploding during the WBC vs WBA beef back in the day until the last of the bastard divisions was created in the 1980's.

Seems like for the most part they just added new divisions after the old school 8 based on the middle ground of the two divisions they were fitting the new division in between. So basically the alphabet groups created most of the divisions for "safety" officially, but more sanctioning fees is a good positive byproduct of safety for their bottom line I'm sure.

Personally I'd love to see the weight divisions scrapped, reduced & reinvented. Although with how effed up everything in boxing is I'm sorta of the opinion that boxing should hijack everything it can from the UFC including their 8 weight divisions (265, 205, 185, 170, 155, 145, 135, 125). If you weigh 107lbs you should eat more you skinny malnourished mfer.
          Na, boxing allows a way out for some of the malnourished poor across the world, especially across the oriental east. But I do think that boxing needs to reduce the number of weight divisions, forget about half houses like light welter and light middle and merge light heavy and cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Na, boxing allows a way out for some of the malnourished poor across the world, especially across the oriental east. But I do think that boxing needs to reduce the number of weight divisions, forget about half houses like light welter and light middle and merge light heavy and cruiser.
            Boxing is a way out for anyone of any weight, not just exclusively for the underfed. IMO if you weigh 107, you should be fighting starvation not each other

Comment

great question

I have been wondering about this myself and if there is no scientific bases of weightclasses, that makes catchweights not matter

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                great question

I have been wondering about this myself and if there is no scientific bases of weightclasses, that makes catchweights not matter
                You need somebody to tell that a fair fight is pound for pound or as close to it as possible .

Sometimes the stuff in here makes me think there is very little common sense in the wild .

Comment

Originally posted by Reloaded View Post
                  You need somebody to tell that a fair fight is pound for pound or as close to it as possible .

Sometimes the stuff in here makes me think there is very little common sense in the wild .
                  analyze the topic at hand you dimwit instaed of just babbling about little to nonsense motivated by your fanboyism

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithfire View Post
                    analyze the topic at hand you dimwit instaed of just babbling about little to nonsense motivated by your fanboyism
                    I analyzed your post and it was simpleton material .

Comment

Originally posted by anonymous2.0 View Post
                      Boxing is a way out for anyone of any weight, not just exclusively for the underfed. IMO if you weigh 107, you should be fighting starvation not each other
                      you sound like a ******

Comment

Working...
                      X