Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you still win a round you've been knocked down in?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
    man, how is this thread 5 pages...and this forum is supposed to be populated by knowledgeable folks (-_-)

To answer the original post. The round would be scored 10-9, after the first minute the judges should have had it scored 10 -8, but based on the fact fighter A dominated the rest of the round, he could earn his point back bringing it to 10 - 9 (Still losing the round though). If fighter A managed to knock down fighter B afterwards, the KD's would cancel each other out and scored normally, and possibly 10 - 10, which only signifies an EVEN round [a knockdown is not necessary for an even round to be scored] Now a days, Even rounds are frowned upon ...in the past Even rounds happened OFTEN.

Secondly, a 9 - 9 round can only exist if a fighter wins the round but committed a foul... Foul's are deducted at the END of a round on the judges score card. So you score the round normally, if Fighter A wins the round, 10 - 9, but committed 2 fouls and lost 2 points, the round would be 8 - 9.

Thirdly, First KD is always 2 points, subsequent KD's are 1 point. Therefore Pac/JMM round would of been scored 10 - 6.
    and you ask how this thread got to 5 pages (-_-)

this thread confirms it that most NSB posters don't know how to score a fight

Comment

Originally posted by Nekronicle View Post
      man, how is this thread 5 pages...and this forum is supposed to be populated by knowledgeable folks (-_-)

To answer the original post. The round would be scored 10-9, after the first minute the judges should have had it scored 10 -8, but based on the fact fighter A dominated the rest of the round, he could earn his point back bringing it to 10 - 9 (Still losing the round though). If fighter A managed to knock down fighter B afterwards, the KD's would cancel each other out and scored normally, and possibly 10 - 10, which only signifies an EVEN round [a knockdown is not necessary for an even round to be scored] Now a days, Even rounds are frowned upon ...in the past Even rounds happened OFTEN.

Secondly, a 9 - 9 round can only exist if a fighter wins the round but committed a foul... Foul's are deducted at the END of a round on the judges score card. So you score the round normally, if Fighter A wins the round, 10 - 9, but committed 2 fouls and lost 2 points, the round would be 8 - 9.

Thirdly, First KD is always 2 points, subsequent KD's are 1 point. Therefore Pac/JMM round would of been scored 10 - 6.
      Maybe I just wasn't aware but I always thought once a fighter was kd he lost a point automatically that he can't get back so him winning the round gives him 9 points as opposed to 8 where he would have lost the round and been dropped and the fighter who knocks him down loses a point just like if he lost the round like normal if dominated for the remainder of the round getting 9 points for a 9-9 round

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        yeah you could theoretically even without returning the knockdown you could get a 9-8 round
        That makes sense

Comment

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but what if the fighter that was knocked down, returns 2 KD's. Not only evening the round, but winning the round by a point?

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            Practically, this works in the average case.

But what about flash knockdowns?

What about true beatings in which a guy is perhaps close to being stopped on his feet, but never actually touches down, and manages to make it to the bell.

Lets pose a hypothetical example. Let's say fighter A gets caught out of position and off balance 30 seconds into the round or so, and his glove touches the canvas, and it is ruled a knockdown. Technically, it is a proper ruling, he was off balance, and a punch landed which caused him to touch down. However, he is not hurt at all.

He then proceeds to beat fighter B from pillar to post for the remaining 2:20 or so of the round. He lays a real beating on the guy, though never quite gets him down, and the round ends.

What do you do, as a judge?

This is the sort of question that is in want of a proper answer.
            Using my explanation I would likely score it 10-9 in favor of fighter B. That is, if I felt fighter A really beat down fighter B for the majority of the round and was most effective aside from the flash knockdown.
            Last edited by 1nonlymre; 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Can you still win a round you've been knocked down in?

The way Manny was knocked down in the six, I hardly doubt it

Comment

according to the 10 point system, only way to negate a knock down is by delivering your own knock out

Comment

Originally posted by 1nonlymre View Post
                  Using my explanation I would likely score it 10-9 in favor of fighter B. That is, if I felt fighter A really beat down fighter B for the majority of the round and was most effective regardless of the knockdown.
                  Since it is just a thought experiment, let us just say it is round 12, and the fight is dead even. Who wins this round wins the fight.

Fighter B winning the round (and thus the fight); is that fair?

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                    Since it is just a thought experiment, let us just say it is round 12, and the fight is dead even. Who wins this round wins the fight.

Fighter B winning the round (and thus the fight); is that fair?
                    There's some amount of subjectivity involved with this system, for sure. But that subjectivity ends with determining which fighter dominates the action. From that point on, it's a matter of following the steps I outlined. There has to be some sort of consistency and the system isn't perfect but there's no room for whether a decision is fair or not if you follow the outline I mentioned.

Comment

pierre benoist and gale van hoy are teaching how to score fights up in here.

Comment

Working...
                      X