Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Floyd Mayweather's main advantage over his opponents overlooked?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Floyd Mayweather's main advantage over his opponents overlooked?

It never really got mentioned a whole lot during his career, people tended to focus on his natural assets like his quickness. But I always felt he had one major advantage and I have never really discussed it before but subconsciously I always felt it inside.

It was the fact that he was bred to be a fighter only. I have watched a few documentaries on him over the last couple of days and it really became crystal clear, he literally did nothing but box as a child. 99.9% of top fighters have a similar story, started boxing or martial arts normally somewhere between the ages of 6-10, showed promise early, eventually started taking it seriously and eventually success followed. But Floyd is different, he is a creation of his Father's shortcomings from his own career and his desire to be the best even if it was in the form of his son, he is the creation of a whole family packed with knowledge but they all ultimately came up short from being the best.

With Floyd Jnr there was never going to be any mistakes, unless he was born with no physical talent, he was always going to be special. It just so happens that he also possessed lots of physical gifts. He was more prepared than anyone else, he started earlier, his repetition was greater, he lived in the gym, he did nothing else from the age of 4. The Mayweather's literally created a monster, as I said he had the gifts, they gave him the knowledge, and the rest was hours and hours of work, and the last part was that he kept that work ethic going all the way through.

It is probably why he is such a flawed person, and still acted like a teenager in his mid 20's. Big parts of his personality never developed when they should have, when it came to life he had to pick things up on the fly, they didn't teach him to be a well rounded person, but you can't deny that he was far ahead in terms of his boxing acumen.

I was one of those guys who always wanted to see Floyd lose because I don't like too much domination in any sport, it makes it boring, but you also have to give those individuals or teams credit where credit is due when they do come along.

It is remarkable that fighters like Castillo, and Maidana, were even able to push him close, because all these guys, even guys like Mosley and Oscar weren't equipped with what Floyd was equipped with, they didn't have the knowledge and preparation, which basically started from 0, and I think that was his major advantage.

His reach was his main advantage

Comment

I've thought about that but many people are born into boxing families and they all don't make it. Also, Sr was an absolute mess so I have to somewhat dismiss the idea that he was a perfectly molded child star.

Regardless though, growing up around boxing certainly does help.

I think Floyd's main advantage was "the instinct", or the ability to predict the opponent's actions.

Comment

I was about to say his reach too, but certainly some good points brought up here and worth considering. I was listening to a podcast the other day which mentioned about Tyson Fury's mental health, his turn to drugs, and possibly cocaine being a stimulant to overcome depression.

But something Floyd possessed was the mental ability to not let things outside the ring effect his worth ethic inside the ring, and we all know he's had his fair share of not ideal situations. (Jail, lawsuits, family health etc)
        He lives in the most dangerous city in the world where drugs, drink and gambling can get a major grasp on you as a person (yes we know he loves a flutter) but look at people like Hatton and see the contrast in how their minds work.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I've thought about that but many people are born into boxing families and they all don't make it. Also, Sr was an absolute mess so I have to somewhat dismiss the idea that he was a perfectly molded child star.

Regardless though, growing up around boxing certainly does help.

I think Floyd's main advantage was "the instinct", or the ability to predict the opponent's actions.
          There are a lot of kids born into boxing or any sport. But Floyd Snr didn't quite make it, obviously getting shot finished his career, but I think the fact that he fell short probably drove him.

Also regardless of whether he was a mess or not, the time they spent in the gym was probably devoid of anything else going on.

I agree that he seemed to have a sixth sense about what was about to happen, and I completely agree with you that it was his main asset, but no one can read the future, I think this ability came from hours of repetition and practice. I think he developed the ability to read tell tale signs of opponents, and that allowed him to read what was coming depending on a few factors around positioning, distance, and angles.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post

Also regardless of whether he was a mess or not, the time they spent in the gym was probably devoid of anything else going on.
            When your dad is an addict and dealing, I have a hard time believing that anything in your life is focused, and devoid of distraction.
            Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
            I agree that he seemed to have a sixth sense about what was about to happen, and I completely agree with you that it was his main asset, but no one can read the future,
            I'm not talking about seeing the future. I'm talking about reading cues from an opponent's positioning and body language. Interestingly, the moments in which Pac has success were when he played against this, doing feints and awkward movements to cause Floyd to falsely predict a movement and Pac would catch him as he responded. Roach prep'd Pac brilliantly for that fight, though (for whatever reason) Manny failed to deliver the volume needed.

Comment

Originally posted by MPX309 View Post
              I was about to say his reach too, but certainly some good points brought up here and worth considering. I was listening to a podcast the other day which mentioned about Tyson Fury's mental health, his turn to drugs, and possibly cocaine being a stimulant to overcome depression.

But something Floyd possessed was the mental ability to not let things outside the ring effect his worth ethic inside the ring, and we all know he's had his fair share of not ideal situations. (Jail, lawsuits, family health etc)
              He lives in the most dangerous city in the world where drugs, drink and gambling can get a major grasp on you as a person (yes we know he loves a flutter) but look at people like Hatton and see the contrast in how their minds work.
              There is no doubt his mental capacity is underrated and a big asset. To be fair, I think guys like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, they are cautionary tales aren't they? For any young boxer they are icons and Floyd has certainly taken things from Ali's in ring game, but you also don't want to end up like them. You don't want to go on too long and take punishment as Ali did. Tyson got ****ed over by Don King and was taken advantage of from a business point of view, he also lost his discipline. I am sure that both guys and other fighters with similar stories helped shape Floyd's approach to the sport.

But its still up to the man himself to stay disciplined and not fall into those same traps, and for that you can only applaud him.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                When your dad is an addict and dealing, I have a hard time believing that anything in your life is focused, and devoid of distraction.

I'm not talking about seeing the future. I'm talking about reading cues from an opponent's positioning and body language. Interestingly, the moments in which Pac has success were when he played against this, doing feints and awkward movements to cause Floyd to falsely predict a movement and Pac would catch him as he responded. Roach prep'd Pac brilliantly for that fight, though (for whatever reason) Manny failed to deliver the volume needed.
                Manny definitely has an underrated boxing brain, and boxing ability in general. He sets traps, and I think that fight was much harder for Floyd than anybody gave Manny credit for. I made a thread about it actually, and just because it didn't look like a Manny Pacquaio fight doesn't mean he wasn't having success and doing well.

Comment

Hmph....

I say his will to win! I dislike Floyd like the next guy but he has shown his side as a competitive force of nature.

Comment

Honestly it really was a perfect storm, he was an excellent athlete with pretty much perfect boxing proportions. He was in the gym from an early age and really took the the sport learning the tricks and then making the tricks his own (which takes an insane amount of work). He had that never ending well of desire because the people he looked up to were good boxers but not quite the very best so he knew what he had to be better than and I think those guys knew it also and helped to mold Floyd that way. Floyd is also a greedy person so he could never have enough, but he knew that hard work was the only way to get the most possible.

Those combination of things is the rarest of things and what gave him the advantage over pretty much everyone, even when fights were tough where most top ends guys falter Floyd figured out a way to fight back.

Plus even if a dude is put through what Floyd was most will burn out or not pan out even close to the same way, so it really takes a special sort to become what Floyd became.

Comment

Working...
                    X