No announcement yet.

Tips for a newbie

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a newbie

Hey guy i havent been on in a while, since i activated this acount but im starting boxing on tuesday, and i was wondering what i should expect and what i should do get in shape, i have a decent cardio going, but i dont know how hard the training is gunna be, i weight at like 179, but that is too scarwny for i think, i wanna box at 185 at a decent muscle build, would it really mater going into different weight classes?

How tall are you? And if you're looking to compete man, training is hard man, hard. At the same time, it's more or less gonna be as hard as you make it. No one's gonna wake you up at 6am to go running, or make you squeeze out those extra punches on the heavy bag.

Peace,
    Trick

Comment

im about 6 feet

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
        How tall are you? And if you're looking to compete man, training is hard man, hard. At the same time, it's more or less gonna be as hard as you make it. No one's gonna wake you up at 6am to go running, or make you squeeze out those extra punches on the heavy bag.

Peace,
        Trick
        Great post. I'd give you K but I need to "spread it around" first.

Newbie, I'd also tell you this:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...62&postcount=7

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

that is such a gd description of boxing lol

Comment

Originally posted by scab46 View Post
            that is such a gd description of boxing lol
            I just added the first line of that post to my sig. It'll save me the trouble of posting the link five hundred more times.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat View Post

Very well said Fraidy, you get some K for that. While I know you love it, it's also worth pointing out to someone who might misunderstand, that you get a satisfaction out of it that you really can't find anywhere else. And I don't mean some feeling that you're such a bad-ass or something, it's something else, it's hard to explain. But train hard, and you'll know. Maybe it's about being able to take the best someone has to offer, or about pushing yourself to go harder and longer than you ever thought you could, or proving that you've got the stones for one of the toughest sporting endevours on the face of the earth, others, but really yourself. Like I said, it's hard to explain, but I'm sure a lot of you out there know what I mean. I donno, I honestly don't know why I'm goin' back to the gym in 2 hours. I feel like **** today, but I won't get that satisfaction unless I go, and now, without that satisfaction, I feel alot ****tier than I do during any training. So work hard man, I'm not saying it's easy, it's the opposite, I don't even know if I can say it's fun, but it may be one of the most rewarding things you ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieRJJ View Post
                Hey guy i havent been on in a while, since i activated this acount but im starting boxing on tuesday, and i was wondering what i should expect and what i should do get in shape, i have a decent cardio going, but i dont know how hard the training is gunna be, i weight at like 179, but that is too scarwny for i think, i wanna box at 185 at a decent muscle build, would it really mater going into different weight classes?

Your first job in boxing is to learn how to hit and not get hit. The weight issue is not a concern until you have achieved basic boxing skills and a high level of fitness. You can not possibly know in advance what your optimum boxing weight is until you achieve boxing shape. Depending on your athletic background, it will take no less than several months if not several years to reach boxing shape. During that time you should be developing yourself as a boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Trick View Post
                  . . . you get a satisfaction out of it that you really can't find anywhere else. . . .

. . . I don't even know if I can say it's fun, but it may be one of the most rewarding things you ever do.
                  It's what you see in your own eyes in the mirror ten minutes before a fight -- and ten minutes after. That's my addiction. Your soul gets very close to the surface, and you can have a good long look into it. That's why I chose to fight again, even though after my last fight I said I wouldn't. I want another look.

Comment

Even if you are conditioned, you are still in for a very hard workout. The first time you do a few rounds on the bag, not only will you be gasping for air, but your back, arms, shoulers, and legs will feel a like they are on fire. In the 2 and a half months that I've been boxing, I have yet to see a guy come in and not struggle with the workout. I have seen guys that look in tip top shape, fall to the ground from exhaustion from one three-minute round on the bag.

Like I said, theres no way you can really prepare for it at first. Just like every other sport you have to train your body to get used to what you do. Sure you can run sprints everyday, but even then you are working muscles that you probably never knew you had. I sit here right now at 5'9 220 pounds, overweight, but I can go 6 straight 3 minute rounds on the bag with a 30 second rest inbetween, while there are track runners who come in and cant even do one. Its all about repetition and getting used to the workout.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X